Want to buy first PRS, who wants to help?

+1 on the used market. I have bought both gently used and horribly abused PRS guitars, and a setup and a little bit of electrical work go a long way. And flipping them has been easy. Worst case was a plek job and I made that back on the resale. They are very well made guitars. I don't have a 24 fret to offer you, but I very often have a PRS for sale to make room for the PRS I've ordered...

(6 weeks till my 594SC arrives)

I buy new because I like having a warranty. Just a thing I’m into.

Well, that and not having someone else’s skin cells, dirt, beer, and boogers all over the guitar.

So what if I’m OCD.

Where else are you going to get a stranger's DNA to leave at the crime scene? Or have I said too much...?

This is my 2 cents so you can take it for what it's worth, I'm a contrarian by nature.

You say "middle of nowhere" but that is a relative statement, if you are not stationed at ice Station zebra in Antarctica, you should be able to at least take a trip to the nearest metropolitan area that stocks PRS guitars, no? Because that is what I would do. With a little web research you should be able to find a dealer that stocks them and you would be able to put the instruments in your hands to truly get a feel for what you want and like the most. That way you can feel confident when you place your order online for an instrument you've never touched, you will already know what you want. On top of that, it might give you a brief vacation from "the middle of nowhere".

I *HAVE* purchased a PRS guitar online without playing it, and although I don't regret it, I will never do it again. I'll explain, I bought a used PRS single cut hollow body, mainly for jazz pickup gigs and backing vocalists around town. For that it does the job better than my double cut PRS hollow body, but the one drawback is that the single cut, (which has better tone than my double cut), it doesn't play single lines as fluid as the double cut which is really comfortable and easy to play. The single cut kind of fights you back a little, making it better for accompaniment than playing solos. If I would have played the instrument first I would have realized this within the first few runs and might have made a different decision.

The two guitars you are choosing to have a slightly different feel from each other, so that's something to take into consideration, but from your choices I think it all boils down to whether you like a bolt on neck or a glued/set in neck. Both designs, again, have slightly different tone and feel so I think that's your big decision ............ along with taking a road trip that maybe you should consider.

Good luck in your endeavor.
Thanks for you response but there are reasons I can’t make that road trip. I have a sick family member that required care when I’m not at work and they can’t make that two hour trip. Believe me, I think when people post that they aren’t able to get hands on by going on a road trip folks should just accept that rather than try to teach them. I appreciate your experience but that can’t be my experience...which is why I’m here.

I buy new because I like having a warranty. Just a thing I’m into.

Well, that and not having someone else’s skin cells, dirt, beer, and boogers all over the guitar.

So what if I’m OCD.
Ok Les, you’re not being entirely honest about the “OCD” thing, otherwise your name would be (as I know it) “Ace Efhlmnss”!!

But then you would probably be from Wales with a surname like that. Not that there is anything wrong with Wales! (My real surname maybe proves me wrong!)o_O:D

Excellent. Do the CE models have all USA hardware? I know that the S2’s have some Korean parts that would need to be upgraded whether they are good or not because that’s just me. Lol.
Have you considered buying a used CE? The pre 2010 CE's are better IMO.
The new CE have cheaper parts, and a shallower "ergonomic" top carve. You can pick an excellent condition mid 2000's CE for a very reasonable price.

I’m digging this CE:

giklljgwotebzojm6sbs.jpg
The

Great color...is that an older model or custom color? I've not seen that one before.

Like all the wise men (or wiseguys) before me have said, pick the one that feels and sounds right to you and take the leap of faith. Whichever you choose, SE to Private Stock, you can rest assured that you are getting a high quality instrument that will last you a lifetime and inspire you to pursue any musical endeavor you may have. Some of us were there at the beginning and some of us are recent arrivals to the PRS camp but no matter how or when we all got here, there is a tremendous sense of pride we all freely share in and it's certainly great company to keep.

Great color...is that an older model or custom color? I've not seen that one before.
I’m not certain, I came across it on Reverb and would be buying it this weekend but unfortunately it sold. The OP said the color was charcoal blue burst. I’ve run into the same scheme with red and green but imo they don’t look as nice.

I’m not certain, I came across it on Reverb and would be buying it this weekend but unfortunately it sold. The OP said the color was charcoal blue burst. I’ve run into the same scheme with red and green but imo they don’t look as nice.
I've seen the red/charcoal burst before (I think it is a Sweetwater exclusive). But wow, that blue/charcoal is hot!

If I found myself in your situation, I would buy new from a store with a strong return policy. The fact is that you're really not sure exactly what you want. If you love what you buy initially, great! You have a guitar you love. And warranty. And lack of stranger DNA. If you don't, you can return it and perhaps try something else.

If you buy used and don't care for it, you then have to turn around and sell it. And hopefully not have to deal with any crap from your subsequent customer. And the time required, given that you already seem to be time constrained. If saving a few bucks initially to go through that trouble is appealing to you, then by all means go in that direction. Being in your shoes, though, I would not go there.

Kevin

Pros and cons both ways.

Whatever you decide and which ever way you go, keep us informed.

And remember photos, we need a “FIX” every so often, so we can live vicariously through others!:D

The guitar gods smiled upon me today. Through no doing of my own my wife and her family arranged for me to be able to go guitar shopping in a large-ish metro area. I know a lot of folks don’t like guitar center but when you don’t have anything remotely close to you for years it is Shang-ri-la!(hope that’s right) I played everything in the place. Nothing was really that great or should I say that much greater than my Strat style guitar I currently play. They had only four PRS’s, three S2s and a used Se. The S2s were the best guitars in the House. I even played a 75 gibby LP Custom and not near as good. I wanted to play a CE-24 however so I found an amazing shop that is also a PRS dealer. They had some other S2s as well and a really nice used custom 24 se. after playing all day I can say that the SE’s aren’t near the guitars that the S2’s and CE’s are. But they are nice in their own right. But frankly for the price I think an Agile AL-3200 from Rondo is a much nicer guitar and plays better than all the SE’s I played for less money. I wanted to love the SEs because it would save me significant money but I couldn’t. The S2’s and the CE’s are a completely different story. I’m truly in love with the CE. All the tones are there and then some, it’s beautiful and plays so easily! The S2 plays the same but didn’t sound quite as dynamic and isn’t quite as beautiful. The price difference between the two makes the CE the clear winner because it’s good to go out of the box. I’ll just need to get a hard case for it.

I talked with the owner for quite some time while I was there and he agreed to pretty steep discounts on whichever one I wanted. I’ll basically be getting a new CE for used money. Plus he’s going to throw in a full set up. So that’s what I’ll be doing in about two or three weeks. That’ll be my next trip down there. I’ll definitely post a NGD thread and pics when it’s in my eager hands!! Thanks for all the advice and help!

The guitar gods smiled upon me today. Through no doing of my own my wife and her family arranged for me to be able to go guitar shopping in a large-ish metro area. I know a lot of folks don’t like guitar center but when you don’t have anything remotely close to you for years it is Shang-ri-la!(hope that’s right) I played everything in the place. Nothing was really that great or should I say that much greater than my Strat style guitar I currently play. They had only four PRS’s, three S2s and a used Se. The S2s were the best guitars in the House. I even played a 75 gibby LP Custom and not near as good. I wanted to play a CE-24 however so I found an amazing shop that is also a PRS dealer. They had some other S2s as well and a really nice used custom 24 se. after playing all day I can say that the SE’s aren’t near the guitars that the S2’s and CE’s are. But they are nice in their own right. But frankly for the price I think an Agile AL-3200 from Rondo is a much nicer guitar and plays better than all the SE’s I played for less money. I wanted to love the SEs because it would save me significant money but I couldn’t. The S2’s and the CE’s are a completely different story. I’m truly in love with the CE. All the tones are there and then some, it’s beautiful and plays so easily! The S2 plays the same but didn’t sound quite as dynamic and isn’t quite as beautiful. The price difference between the two makes the CE the clear winner because it’s good to go out of the box. I’ll just need to get a hard case for it.

I talked with the owner for quite some time while I was there and he agreed to pretty steep discounts on whichever one I wanted. I’ll basically be getting a new CE for used money. Plus he’s going to throw in a full set up. So that’s what I’ll be doing in about two or three weeks. That’ll be my next trip down there. I’ll definitely post a NGD thread and pics when it’s in my eager hands!! Thanks for all the advice and help!
CEs are great. Start ordering the NOS2000 trem from MannMade already... they have quite the backlog usually.

so I don't understand, are you going to order a new one through him?
Is it new is it used? you were possibly considering the S2, what color is it you left a lot of details out.
here's the one you should buy, you need to get something with an exciting motivating color, I like this one almost as much as I like blue one, but these pickups are awesome.
5708's are in my opinion the best pickup PRS makes,

https://www.ebay.com/itm/2017-PRS-C...-57-08s-Faded-Grey-Black-Cherry-/132527890574

order it and have it by the middle of next week.

so I don't understand, are you going to order a new one through him?
Is it new is it used? you were possibly considering the S2, what color is it you left a lot of details out.
here's the one you should buy, you need to get something with an exciting motivating color, I like this one almost as much as I like blue one, but these pickups are awesome.
5708's are in my opinion the best pickup PRS makes,

https://www.ebay.com/itm/2017-PRS-C...-57-08s-Faded-Grey-Black-Cherry-/132527890574

order it and have it by the middle of next week.
It’s new and a more traditional amber burst kind of color. I may see if he’d extend that offer to a new order so I can get that charcoal blue burst. But I do like the more traditional colors as well. The one I like has the 85/15 pups and they sound amazing. There wasn’t anything I wanted that I couldn’t get, including a nice single coil sound.

That’s a nice guitar but that paint scheme isn’t really my cup of tea. It’s fun to look at but I wouldn’t want to ALWAYS look at it.

Back