Want new PUPS for 1997 PRS Custom 22

Selassie

Hi Everybody,

I've been a PRS players and lover since 1988 and bought my first one new in 1997 from the Music Gallery in Highland Park, IL. Of course it came equipped with Dragon II pups. I've never been an absolute lover of these particular pups. Does anybody have suggestions for some new pups I could swap out that would give me anything closer to a single coil type sound? Is there such a thing with humbuckers?

I play clean much more than I do distorted and play through a simple Mesa Boogie Rocket 44 amp and I use zero effects. Thanks for any suggestions.

Rotary or McCarty switching?

I really like Fralin P-92s for full, rich single coil tones with no hum in a humbucker format.

Rotary or McCarty switching?

I really like Fralin P-92s for full, rich single coil tones with no hum in a humbucker format.

I have the rotary. Even though I hate that more than the pups. I'll never understand the logic behind it. For a performing musician it's a bad pups switching device. I've often times thought of swapping it out for some type of blade or switch but just never did it. Now that my electric public performing is slim to none, I've left it be also in part to keep it all original. Another reason I've never felt too inclined to swap pups. But I do play it a lot in my basement and would like pups I prefer more.

Thanks for the advice on the Fralin's! Sounds like exactly what I'm looking for.

The rotary is totally love it or hate it. I was on the fence at first but after a few months I grew to really like it and got used to switching live (while singing too). And now I have a set of DGT pickups in there that do work with the rotary... love 'em!

That said, you'll need to convert to a 3 way toggle (or maybe a 3 way rotary!) to get the Fralins working correctly.

I can really recommend you swap the brassblock in your trem to a steelblock.That will give you a more upper mid character and a more responsive feel.Highs not as mellow as with the brassblock,more snap to em.Even with humbuckers you would notice that but of course they can never sound like true singlecoils.

Back