Vox Amplug

ArnaudS1979

I have got a first generation Amplug AC30.

I haven't had much use for it over the years (even when I was still playing the guitar) but with my 2 boys going to sleep early, it has been in use everyday since I have the SE C24.

Anyone here using one of these? There different flavours kicking about.

It feels to me like they are a bit of a one pony trick... maybe two. The clean sound and break up sound are fun but when you get the gain towards 10 it is a bit shrill and lacking depth. I am not complaining, for the price you pay you definitely get something worth back but, what is the consensus out here? If there ever is such a thing :p

I love them. They've been my primary ampage of late. I have the Clean, the AC30, the Night Train (the first one I got -- because I train at night, ha-ha) and the Bass (current generation, current generation, first generation and first generation, respectively, I think). The Clean has a dirty channel! WTF? I actually prefer the Clean to the AC30 by a good bit.

I do agree that they only have a few useful settings, but considering their wee lih'el form factor, I'm quite smitten. They are the amp equivalents of ...of...I don't know, something really small and strong...Laura Moon?

I think it might also depend on what headphone you're using -- I fully intend to use my Sony MDR-7506/-V6 for the bass, but wouldn't dare use that on any of the others -- too bright, I think it'd make the result shrill. I have been using my AKG K7XX (really, a K702 in a different guise)...mostly because it was handy. But it's a good match.

Cheers!

Last edited:
I have the blues one. I like it. I bought it to be my travel amp. Just throw it in the gig bag and fly to Singapore (guitar bag hanging in the coat rack of the plane). It works great. The tones sound fairly authentic to me through decent headphones.

I love them. They've been my primary ampage of late. I have the Clean, the AC30, the Night Train (the first one I got -- because I train at night, ha-ha) and the Bass (current generation, current generation, first generation and first generation, respectively, I think). The Clean has a dirty channel! WTF? I actually prefer the Clean to the AC30 by a good bit.

I do agree that they only have a few useful settings, but considering their wee lih'el form factor, I'm quite smitten. They are the amp equivalents of ...of...I don't know, something really small and strong...Laura Moon?

I think it might also depend on what headphone you're using -- I fully intend to use my Sony MDR-7506/-V6 for the bass, but wouldn't dare use that on any of the others -- too bright, I think it'd make the result shrill. I have been using my AKG K7XX (really, a K702 in a different guise)...mostly because it was handy. But it's a good match.

Cheers!

What does the night train sound like? Is it a bit more gritty? I am using Sennheiser HD201 with the amplug.

Right, I do actually have a problem with the AC30 amplug. On the middle position on the SE C24, which is my favourite one so far, if I set the tone of the amplug the way I like it for the low strings, the high string are too trebley. If I set it right for the high string, the low ones are too boomy. It becomes a problem when the gain is dialled up. I think I would need to find an alternative as a headphone amp is going to be my main rig on week days.

The HD201 is a fairly cheep headphone, but apparently it is boxing above is price tag. It was about £20. What headphones are considered decent but won't break the bank?

If you hear too much bass or treble and can't balance them, this may be the "smiley face" (scooped) frequency response of low-end headphones. This "party mix" is a common design choice in low-end consumer audio, where customers like booming bass and lots of treble presence. If the product specs don't show a flat frequency response curve, you can assume it's a "smiley face" response.

Headphone response is a personal preference. If you want fairly cheap, flatter headphones, try the KRK KNS8400 or ATH-M50x (I have the M50x).

The HD201 is a fairly cheep headphone, but apparently it is boxing above is price tag. It was about £20. What headphones are considered decent but won't break the bank?
I don't know, I'm a headphone nut, so usually pay a lot more for my headphones (my daily wears are $500 at Massdrop right now, and that's at least $100 less than what I paid -- I left them on the train once and practically had a heart attack). Perhaps check InnerFidelity's Wall of Fame -- they try to find decent headphones at all price points.

You will probably find this stupid but for the first time I thought today: why not plug a pedal in front of the Amplug? Well turns out, it took pretty well. I plugged the AC30 into the output of the FOD-1 and used a lead from the guitar to the OD pedal, and there was room for a few interesting sound after a bit of dialling.

Anyhoo! Thanks for the advice Kred and the link Dusty Chalk. I haven't decided yet which way I will move forward to improve my sound but if it is through a new headphone, I will probably go for the ATH-M40X as apparently it has a more of a neutral response then the M50x, which has a tendency to highlight the low end I understand.

However, I just opened a can of worms, from a financial point of view, discovering all about the headphone amps, Hotone, Laney IRT and such like...

Back