volume pot cleaning

i.love.my.prs

was hoping to clean a scratchy volume pot on my new PRS SE. I can't find a hex key that holds the volume knob itself onto the potentiometer. thus, how do you remove them to clean them?

thank you all!

You can spray some deoxit d5 to the volume pot from the side. Let it penitrate for a few minutes while you spin the volume knob. You can also spray the pots from the pot cavity side as well.

knobs without screws or hex keys just pop off when you pull them. They rely on a tight fit to hold onto the pot shaft.

Pots get dirty and scratchy sometimes without use. Before you try taking things apart and spraying cleaning solutions, turn the pot back and forth rigourously for a while. Just again and again and again back and forth. I've cleaned up pots plenty of times just doing this.

Yeah, rolling it (LOLOL) back and forth will sometimes clear it up, but if not, there's usually a little indentation/hole (where the cleaner can penetrate) on the shaft housing body inside the control cavity, where you can spray cleaner with the little red tube, directly into the brass housing. Than spin it vigorously...should do the trick.

I truly admire all of you. I’ve reached the point where about all I can still handle is a string change, and even that doesn’t happen often!

Actually fixing something?

“Hello, PTC? Yeah, it’s Les...again...”

Back