Vintage yellow.

kingsleyd

That's all I have to say, really. I mean, if you want to know what originally drew me to PRS, this photo kinda says it all.

13987431_1167651009955853_1709323448303586078_o.jpg

The best color.

Yeah, you know, I was talking about "good tools" on the 594 thread just now. This photo gives me a nice example of the relationship between "good tools" and "being a good carpenter." Besides having all these ridiculously nice guitars, as is probably obvious from the photo above, I have some nice photography gear as well. Not super-fancy boutique stuff, but certainly enough to do a professional-looking photo shoot.

I do these guitar shots for fun (and yeah, to show 'em off) but also for insurance records. It's enough work to set everything up that I only do 'em about once every year or so, maybe not even that often. Which means I tend to forget some of the technical details I need to remember to get everything right to optimize my shots. Of course there's always the "fix it in the mix" option with Photoshop, but here's a great example of the difference between "getting it right at the source" and "fixing it in the mix."

Fix it in the mix version: (i.e., I didn't do a good job of getting my settings on the camera dialed in properly and had to do significant triage in Photoshop to make the photo look close to "right")

13923331_1167646289956325_1636859494864181128_o.jpg

"Get it right at the source" version:

13987431_1167651009955853_1709323448303586078_o.jpg

@kingsleyd,
Nice piece of treasure!
Short after starting with electrics in 1992 and noticing the products of the brand PRS, Amber and Vintage Yellow became the colours an astonnishing guitar's top finish should be made of.
But times went by. 19 years later having the opportunity to purchase a new PRS, I took the time for the colour chart. And selected Black Gold as the coating which attracted me more.
But it's very good, PRS gives a lot of available colours that - beside tonal, haptic and functional aspects - allow aswell optical taste to be fullfilled.

When I saw this thread, and looked at your guitar, Kingsley, I thought, "Wow I love that color, it's just classic, I should get one in VY."

I often say I don't look at mine much, I just play 'em...it didn't even occur to me that I actually have a VY Cu24!! I was playing it this morning and thought, "Wow, this is VY, I should post it in Kingsley's thread!" So here it is. Vintage Yellow.

Last edited:
When I saw this thread, and looked at your guitar, Kingsley, I thought, "Wow I love that color, it's just classic, I should get one in VY."

I often say I don't look at mine much, I just play 'em...it didn't even occur to me that I actually have a VY Cu24!! I was playing it this morning and thought, "Wow, this is VY, I should post it in Kingsley's thread!" So here it is. Vintage Yellow.

Honestly Les, that is THE best quilt top that I have seen IMHO. Very 3 dimensional.

Honestly Les, that is THE best quilt top that I have seen IMHO. Very 3 dimensional.

On behalf of the guitar, thanks! ;)

Here's what's weird about me: I am not a Quilt guy! But...the tone knocked my socks off, so I bought it despite the Quilt top.

The looks have grown on me, though.

The WL 594s Jack has coming are all Quilt tops, and because I love the tone of this one, I ordered one even though it's Quilt.

Tonez Trumpz Quiltz. ;)

Yeah it's a great wood set but it's not really Vintage Yellow. At least it's not like mine, and you can't make the argument that the lacquer has yellowed over time because, well, it's not that kind of lacquer! Seriously, though, the couple of times I've gone shopping to find a modern CU24 that should by rights be an improvement over my old, flawed guitar, I've always been drawn to the VY examples and then looked at them and thought, "Wait a minute. That's NOT the VY I know and love!"

So maybe it's all a visual thing for me.

No, it's not. I've plugged 'em all in and listened to them next to mine, and every time I've ended up thinking, "Yeah, the new one is a better guitar but I like how mine sounds and the new one doesn't push my buttons to the same extent."

Yeah it's a great wood set but it's not really Vintage Yellow

WTF? Dude, you are mistaken.

Yeah, it's really Vintage Yellow.

I remember VY from the early days.

The exterior paint on yours doesn't fade, but the stains are organic dyes, and they remain photosensitive under the clear coat. The maple also continues to yellow.

I have kind of flamey maple on the edges of my studio furniture that started almost white and it's now the color of oak. It's also finished with clear coat and has never been in sunlight. Maple does that.

Last edited:
Just bustin' your chops, Les. I have maple cabinets in my kitchen and I know how that all works. Funny, though, I really did have that "whoa, was VY originally this bright?" reaction when I played a couple of new ones. I had to remind myself that yeah, it sure was.

Your guitar is gonna look GREAT in a few years! And even better in 30 years when it's as old as mine is now. Too bad neither of us will be around to enjoy it then! Although I guess if we've made it this far, what's 30 more years?

I have a buddy that has an 86 in VY so I had to get this one not an 86 but she is a looker I just realized I don't have a nice shot of this one.

Back