Vintage PRS & the PTC

strat63

The Torture Never Stops
I was wondering if anyone has experience sending their older PRS to the PTC for maintenance. The frets are getting pretty worn and are probably ready for a dressing at the very least. It also needs a new nut which I imagine would be replaced with a complete set up. The thought of sending the guitar back to PRS to get returned to original factory specs is intriguing.

I can live with the premium cost so that's not an issue. My biggest fear is that some tweak is made and the guitar comes back playing better but sounding different. Some of the electronics have been changed over the years after failing and now the sound is really dialed in. I sure don't want to mess with it.

I'd love to hear about experiences and your opinions. The guitar is an 86 if it makes any difference. Thanks.

They won't touch anything you don't want them too (or don't pay for). My CE came back with a new neck carve and nothing else, even though I'm sure Skitchy wanted to pry the Gumby Gold Sparkled "S" off of it. :oops:

I would do it without it worry. I didn't send anything that old to them, but they did a bang up job on my '08 Cu22. I would trust them with anything.

I had a fret level and dress on a 90 CE24. Great job and worth the extra cash to know it was getting treatment from the folks who know PRSi. Just tell them you know the electronics are "used" and not to mess with them. Done.

My '01 was dressed, new nut, and setup several years ago. Flawless. PTC is the real deal.

Back