Vintage PRS: 1985-1991 The Golden Years

oldschoolflame

OldschoolJeff
Hello Guys,

I noticed there was not a thread dedicated to pics and discussions for these highly desirable, handmade pieces of playable art. The 85 holy Goal Flame top, the intro of the 10 top in 87, the numbered group of 1000 signatures, the stock brazilians. Post them hear: I will start with pics of my killer vintage yellow 91 CU24. An absolute dream to play and stare at. Sick oyster shell birds, a factory seal coated neck (polyfree, smoooth and fast) , brazilian board and 24k gold hardware. 100 % stock and respectfully played.... vintage yellow.... me potta gold.

http://www.chicagostrat.com/Chicago...w_Custom_24,_Special_order,_24k_Hardware.html

I'll play :) Early 1991 CU24, started in 1990 & finished in 1991 per the dates from the cavity & hang tag. One of the more interesting pieces of wood I have seen - cavity labels her as a "10" but headstock is not, so officially NOT a 10-top. Brazzy board, sweet switch, nice birds, HFS/VB and MilCom as expected.

Interesting note - the original owner specified the HFS/VB and had the rotary wired so that the middle position is actually dual humbuckers, and both single-coil positions are series. I have all of the documentation. Very cool.

71201370007PM-DSC07214_edited-1_zps10260d5e.jpg

71201370032PM-DSC07217_edited-1_zps35079bf7.jpg

71201365939PM-DSC07212_edited-1_zps78022a26.jpg

71201365859PM-DSC07207_edited-1_zps55e186b6.jpg

well, tried 100 times to post pics on here, i know it has to be simple, can someone give me a quick crash course, in one line or less?

well, tried 100 times to post pics on here, i know it has to be simple, can someone give me a quick crash course, in one line or less?
One line:

Read the FAQ on posting attachments and images: http://prsguitars.com/forum/faq.php?faq=vb3_reading_posting#faq_vb3_attachments

Except that is not quite right for uploading attachments, at least for me. There is no "manage attachments" button below the message box. Maybe that is enabled after x number of posts - the FAQ doesn't mention it, AFAIK. But if you post images using an external URL (like Flickr or Photobucket) those instructions work fine for me. See below.

More than one line of explanation for uploading photos/pictures:

Upload your picture/photo to an external website like Flickr or Photobucket or whatever is publicly visible (i.e. no password or login required to view).
Use the icon that looks vaguely like a picture frame (to the right of the earth globes with hyperlink symbols overlaid - mouseover text says "Insert Image"), and paste in the URL to the image you have uploaded at Flickr or Photobucket or wherever. Click OK.

Hope that helps.

Here's mine, 1989 "Classic Electric." Has the PRS Electric decal on the headstock. Originally this came with a 5-way switch, I had it changed to a rotary in the early 2000s.:

Neck cavity and p/u:

bridge p/u:

The guitar is stamped as a "B" stock. I bought it in 1991 as a leftover from a "b" stock sale that Washington Music Center had.

I love the copperfoil finish. I can't find the pictures but I had a similar one in blue/purple. Very unique finish.

Here's mine, 1989 "Classic Electric." Has the PRS Electric decal on the headstock. Originally this came with a 5-way switch, I had it changed to a rotary in the early 2000s.:

Neck cavity and p/u:

bridge p/u:

The guitar is stamped as a "B" stock. I bought it in 1991 as a leftover from a "b" stock sale that Washington Music Center had.

I was watching Back to the Future II the other day and noticed that Marty McFly has a guitar quite similar to this (his had a black headstock). It made me smile to see a PRS in the film when I'd never noticed it before.

Back