Vela Bridge Pickup

Skeeter

So I'm enjoying my Reclaimed Vela - really resonant and fun to play. However, I'm not feeling the bridge pickup as humbucker on its own. With PRS' great splitting electronics (since the advent of the resistor thing with the DGT), it sounds great split. And as a humbucker with both pickups on, it sounds good. But when on I'm just playing on the bridge and am going for that fatter humbucker sound - it's kinda raspy and lifeless imho.

Anyone experience this too? I'm happy to just leave it split all the time, sounds great that way. But I can't help but think of swapping it out for a different pickup - assuming it would probably still sound good split, due to the electronics. Anyone have success trying something different? Do we have any info on the specs of the (S2) Starla pickup? This is my first S2, are their pickups just not quite up to Core standards? (I kinda doubt that).

If I could find one, I feel like a 53/10 would be perfect - going for the whole Tele vibe. A humbucker-sized P90 might also be cool, but with the exception of one manufacturer that I know of (a hum-free P90 that can go from series/parallel), you'd lose the ability to "split" and have two distinct tones to work with.

Thanks for any thoughts or ideas!

Twist the amp knobs. After 3 full gigs with only the Vela, I find the bridge to be articulate, sensitive to guitar control changes, and game for any dirt pedal I throw at it. Raspy and lifeless would the the opposite of my experience. I know this is purely subjective, but I've found a huge tonal variety with the Vela and can confirm it's lurking in there somewhere for you. Good luck!

I have a friend who replaced it, he loves his Vela. I forget what with -- some TV Jones something? I'll ask when I see him next, though not talking to him right now, so it'll be a few weeks.

EDIT: oops, IIRC, it was the neck that he replaced, I think he's fine with the bridge. Or perhaps doesn't play it. I'll ask him.

Last edited:
(***) = the push/pull doesn’t actually ‘split’ the bridge pup, but rather shunts the signal through a 2.2k resistor to ground (see pic). This effectively lowers the output and brightens the tone, much like a series/parallel switch (which I usually prefer to coil splits anyways), but with much simpler wiring. I’m definitely going to try this trick with a few other guitars.

That info, regarding the PRS "splitting" electronics, is very interesting and a little surprising. So, in essence it seems like any pickup could be "split" in this way, even a P90 as I was considering?

I have played with the height a bit and will try more - but there's just something I'm not feeling in the overall character.

Interesting that TV Jones pups were mentioned, as they are known for their FillterTron pickups. I've never owned a Gretsch and have very little experience with 'Tron type pups - I don't really understand how they technically differ from humbuckers, single-coils, etc... But at least by the look of the bridge cover, maybe that's what PRS was trying to emulate in the Vela and that's why it just feels/sounds unfamiliar to me?

I'll have to do some research and play around with it more. Otherwise, I'm tempted to get a TA PH pup (I have them in a TA Raven and they are the best P90s I've heard - hum free, and toggling between series/parallel gives you two distinct single coil tones - one big and buttery, the other thinner and more brilliant). Seems like that could be a cool option for the Vela, if the wiring is compatible.

Thanks! Keep any other suggestions coming...

Tho hard to find a DGT ( theres one on reverb ) bridge might be sweet as would a 57/08 or a 59/09

I like the sound of my RL Vela with all available pup selections. But I must admit I didn't expect the bridge pup to sound like a 57/08 - I knew it was a different beast (Starla pup) and that in and of itself would make the guitar unique sounding. When I want full up traditional humbuckers, I grab one of the other guitars.

But I understand that if you want the RL Vela to have a more traditional HB sound for the bridge, you will probably need to swap it out. But it will undoubtedly affect the tone of the blended pup selections.

The Vela neck pup is a DeArmond copy (type "D")

1.jpg

That's why they used the Starla 'bucker as it's very low output and the two balance well together.
The RH I used in my first Vela is super articulate, dynamic, and just slightly hotter than the Starla pup.
If you put anything hotter than that in there, it will throw off that balance...unless that's what you want.
I'm expecting that the RL vela, with the brighter woods, will sound just fine to me with the stock pups... and I can't wait to find out! :cool:

I like the sound of my RL Vela with all available pup selections. But I must admit I didn't expect the bridge pup to sound like a 57/08 - I knew it was a different beast (Starla pup) and that in and of itself would make the guitar unique sounding. When I want full up traditional humbuckers, I grab one of the other guitars.

Very good point, the whole idea of the Vela is that it's something totally different. I have a bunch of humbucker guitars to turn to. I just can't help myself with pickups - always think there's a better option...d'oh!!

Judging by this video, I must be doing something wrong ;) and just need to work with it, and my rig, some more to get into it.

I have some Deep Dish II pickups laying around. I have never tried them in anything but wonders how they would sound in my Vela. According to the info I can find, those pickups should be similar to P90:s and to me, that sounds like an interesting match for the Vela neck pickup. Anyone with experience of the Deep Dish II?

The S2 incarnation of the Starla pickup is NOT the same as the original Core version though - important to consider this.

The S2 variant was based on a Teisco DelRay "on steroids", according to Paul himself.

The original Core version is based on a FilterTron... as I understand it, the original Starla prototypes actually used FilterTrons of some type (edit: TV Jones Classic Plus, allegedly).

They do not sound the same. The original ones are definitely Gretschier... a little more 'wide-range' though... the later (S2) ones even more compressed and a little more aggressive.

The S2 incarnation of the Starla pickup is NOT the same as the original Core version though - important to consider this.

The S2 variant was based on a Teisco DelRay "on steroids", according to Paul himself.

The original Core version is based on a FilterTron... as I understand it, the original Starla prototypes actually used FilterTrons of some type (edit: TV Jones Classic Plus, allegedly).

They do not sound the same. The original ones are definitely Gretschier... a little more 'wide-range' though... the later (S2) ones even more compressed and a little more aggressive.
Very interesting details...I'd never heard that. I can confirm the aggressive trait that lurks in the S2 pickup. It adds to the diverse voicing available in the Reclaimed semi hollow version.

The Vela model has interested me since it came out. Although I lust for one with a trem, these reclaimed models could find a way into my home.

Looks like I should send sergiodeblanc my cell phone number.

I totally get the Vela with a trem thing. But they already did the Starla, and a Bigsby does it justice, so I'll probably look for an old core Starla to scratch that itch...if Serge doesn't buddy-shame me into a Santana first. o_O

I totally get the Vela with a trem thing. But they already did the Starla, and a Bigsby does it justice, so I'll probably look for an old core Starla to scratch that itch...if Serge doesn't buddy-shame me into a Santana first. o_O

Get the Santana second. The Core Starla is a thing of wonder. ;)

Sorry to revive this necro thread, but I need some assistance. I swapped out my Vela's bridge pickup with a 58/15 treble, and they are out of phase. There are Private Stock Velas with 58/15 treble pickups, so I know there is a way to do it. Reversing the wrapped ground wire and hot wire on the neck pickup did not work (zero output when I did that). Anyone have any recommendations for a solution? Or should I just drop it at the PTC?

Last edited:
Leave the neck wiring and swap the bridge

There are different variants of 58/15 wiring, but prs wiring diagrams have bridge colour codes reversed.

Sorry to revive this necro thread, but I need some assistance. I swapped out my Vela's bridge pickup with a 58/15 treble, and they are out of phase. There are Private Stock Velas with 58/15 treble pickups, so I know there is a way to do it. Reversing the wrapped ground wire and hot wire on the neck pickup did not work (zero output when I did that). Anyone have any recommendations for a solution? Or should I just drop it at the PTC?
The only option left is to experiment with the wire polarity. The white wire is the coil split. Otherwise, you’d have to flip the magnet.

Back