v12

axe24

Bought,a prs c24 usa made 2012 and i have a hair line crack on it how could this be,then i use prs cleaner polish and cloth,it seems the more i clean it ,the more scratches i get,its a v12 finish,how is this possible help pls.

I dont no how to put up photos yet,but on my se model that has poly finish,i caint scracth it if i wanted to,go fiqure,and u wont be able to see scratches,only under good light

Scratches are scratches,pics,wont take them away im usin prs microfiber cloth and all his cleaner and polishes. the color is blue crab fog. havin trouble postin pic.anyone have this prob.

Wtf ,so much trouble to post pic

its-easy.jpg

Thanks man,for the tip on cloth issue.i thought,buyin an $9prs cloth would be the best way to go,so pissed little scracthes on body,can that be rubbed out somehow,my se model,u caint scracth it if u wanted to,i love that v12shine but as far as it bein nitro and acrlic,dont no,thanks again

Ditch the microfiber cloth, they scratch.
Planet Waves 100% cotton cloths are what I use.

Actually, I've done tests with the soft towel-like microfiber cloths (not the ones that are flat like eyeglass cleaning cloths) and soft cotton cloths, and various polishes -- I was once into car shows, etc., and it was important not to have scratches and swirl marks from polishing. So I learned this stuff. Here are the microfiber cloths I recommend, and they do not scratch:

http://www.griotsgarage.com/product/micro+fiber+speed+shine+cloths+set+of+3.do?sortby=ourPicks

Paints are various forms of plastic coatings. Take a clear piece of plastic like a CD case, that scratches easily, and rub it hard with both the cotton and microfiber cloths. You will see that the cotton scratches the plastic quite a bit more. That's because the fibers themselves are harder and shorter.

The V12 finish is definitely more like the old nitro in that it's easy to create polishing scratches and swirls. The older poly finishes are probably harder.

Any true polish - as opposed to the PRS Cleaner, which is more of a quick-shine kind of deal that doesn't scratch - works by combining abrasives with a surfactant. As you rub, the abrasives break down into finer and finer particles, and as they do so, the scratches become smaller and smaller until the surface appears shiny. But these abrasive polishes aren't really daily cleaner kind of things. They're there to remove scratches or restore a damaged finish. Correctly used, with a light, fast touch and a decent amount of time and elbow grease, they do a nice job. But they're for occasional use. If the guitar is dirty from being played, the best solution is a damp (not drippy-wet) microfiber cloth to remove the dirt, and then a light dry with a clean one.

Like anything else, polishing is a skill - it seems bonehead simple, but it really involves some knowledge, the right tools, etc. I'm sure the guys who polish PRS finishes to look like glass would agree.

Every so often, the Cleaner can work like a speed shine or coat of wax, but I don't find that necessary very often. I do use it from time to time.

My 2011 V-12 finish is still new looking after two years of daily use. So it can be done with a little forethought and information. I also keep the guitar cased when not in use, which seems to me to be common sense to avoid accidents, kids, pets, and the humidity and temperature changes that occur over the course of a 24 hour period in every home.

If the finish is cracked, it may be a warranty repair, get in touch with PRS' customer service folks or your dealer!

Last edited:
Thanks for all of that info and tutorial, Les! I'll definitely be keeping all of this in mind when it's time to wipe down any of my guitars.

I just use the PRS branded cleaner and towel to wipe down the neck after I play. I'm happy. It should perhaps be noted that I keep a number of PRS lone sleeve shirts in my guitar room which I wear when I play so I don't sweat on the body. :tongue:

Triedto post before, lost it all due to typing on Droid, one more try.
Les thanks for info.
Very familiar with Griots as Summer of 2001 I won at Boeing car show with my old 4Runner.
I use their stuff inside and out as well as the blue and green microfiber towels.
Put this page together years ago.
http://www.pnw4runners.com/tando/wax/wax.htm

I use the Virtuoso wax on all of my guitars, what do you think of that stuff?
Says safe for my SG since it is nitro, and I have used it on all the SEs too.
May have to use one of my blue Speed Shine micro towels on my guitars unless you think it is better to try a smaller towel.

Yeah, I use their O
Best Of Shine wax for years now along with the Porter Cable.
Not so sure about using it on the guitars though ;)

Forgot to mention, I live 20 miles from Griots and attend shows there.

EDIT:
Most of the links are dead that point to the Griots products on my page above, as webmasters are always changing things around, and I have not updated that page in a decade perhaps.

Last edited:
I use the blue speed shine towels on my guitars, they're great, and no scratches or swirl marks at all!

I use the blue speed shine towels on my guitars, they're great, and no scratches or swirl marks at all!
That is great to know Les, as I have around ten or more of the Speed Shine towels.
Are you applying the polish with them as well as buffing it out with a second one?

Thanks for the guitarscracthtremover,just got it today, and i gotta say it took all pick scratches off my axe, althougth
I used my prs mf cloth,well so what right,highly recommend to all,who has a high gloss finish,such like v12 ,and it was said by seller,this product works well on most prs guitars, thank you all for ur inpert, i respect all..axe

Back