Using the Piezo....question about connecting to amps

docbennett

Banned
I think this forum is the best place to ask this PRS-Piezo related question.

So...you have a PRS with a piezo, and it has two input jacks...the "standard" and the "piezo".

What is the best formula for running cables from guitar to amp(s)??

Do you use a stereo cable and have it run from the standard jack into two amps? Do you run it from the Piezo input?

Or, do you use a "tip/ring" cable and have one jack going into the standard, and one into the piezo?

I guess, the best way to answer this question would be if someone could basically describe all the options and how they are implemented. In other words, how do you set up the cables/guitar/amps for:

• Regular pickups only (that's pretty obvious, I guess)
  • Piezo only (again, I guess just piezo into the correct "dedicated" amp?)
  • Both regular and piezo into 1 amp (now we're getting more complicated)
  • Both regular and piezo into 2 separate dedicated amps (I assume you use one amp that is equalized for acoustic guitars to get the best out of the piezo system...I also assume that this is the best way to get the maximum out of your piezo equipped guitar).

thanks in advance...I've never really used a Piezo equipped guitar before and I am curious as to how to get the most out of it.

]-[ @ n $ 0 |v| a T ! ©;29829 said:
It's a trick question! Piezo-equipped PRS guitars only have output jacks. ;)

Nope....I beg to disagree....I just bought Peter Wolf's (20 year???) employee guitar from Garrett Park....expecting delivery this week....from the photos, there are clearly two input jacks...one is marked "MIX/MAG" and the other is marked "PIEZO". Unfortunately, Rick was unable to provide exact information, which is why I've taken it to the PRS forum.

I don't know if this is an anomoly, but from viewing the photos, I wanted to be prepared for it when it came.

Peter included a letter, indicating that now that he is working with Joe, he "really can't be playing PRS anymore". OK....I'll be glad to.

But...the Piezo question still stands!

PS...if you want to see it, you can do a search on eBay for item # 251183156810 Of course, it is no longer active, but that would provide a pictorial description of the guitar in question.

Last edited:
You can run into one amp using the mix/mag output jack and blend the piezo/magnetic pickups with the belnd knob, or you can run the magnetic pickups into your amp and the piezo into a PA or acoustic amp.

piezojpeg.png

piezo2jpeg.png

I rigged a dual cord, made with zip ties. One goes into the regular amp (Bogner Shiva), the piezo into my AER acoustic amp. I have the output first going thru an amp switch box, where I can choose either amp or both...

Jamie

Nope....I beg to disagree... from the photos, there are clearly two input jacks...one is marked "MIX/MAG" and the other is marked "PIEZO".

Ned... dude... relax. I am just poking fun at a technical error in your description. And playfully so.

They are output jacks, not input jacks.

I use two cables when I want to run onto two amps, or one amp and the PA. If I'm in a hurry or feeling lazy, I just run one cable from the Mix/Mag output to my amp and then use the switch and knob to blend the Piezo when wanted...

]-[ @ n $ 0 |v| a T ! ©;29843 said:
Ned... dude... relax. I am just poking fun at a technical error in your description. And playfully so.

They are output jacks, not input jacks.

As already communicated to you Hans.....the idiot has acknowledged his level of idiocy, and has gratefully appreciated the vast amount of positive information received. Don't you hate it when you have to explain the joke to the moron who didn't get it the first time? :dontknow:

In any event, you gave me the excuse to post a link to the pictures. Much appreciated! :p

I've had my P22 for about a month now ... I prefer running to 2 amps, a Fender DRRI for mag and Fishman Loudbox Artist for piezo ... for me, I get a very nice set of tones this way and can mix the volumes depending on the song ... my first gig with the P22 did not offer many options so I went with one amp for my monitor (DI out to mixing board) and out of the P22 in mix mode ... I still got some great tones that way but I think it is best running 2 different signals out ...

I can't remember where all the cables go ...

MEQA-2-3.jpg

It get complicated if you are running a delay depending on whether you want it on the mag pup side or the piezo side. If you are using an amp with a wet and dry loop you can run through both. To use the kiss theory, run it from the mag output to a tube amp, preferrably clean. That's a good place to start. However, the piezo will always sound better with an acoustic amp. I almost never play with the magnetic pups alone any more. I use the blended mode with the neck pup and run (single cable) into the Mark V using the tweed mode and then out of the loop into the delay and into the Loudbox. I can adjust the volume balanceon the back of the Mark V. This all sounds strange ... but I like it.

Thanks for all the great input. After reading the above comments, I ordered a Fishman Loudbox Mini (to save some bucks) which should arrive around the same time as the guitar. I figure that, plus any one of my PRS tube amps, should be sufficient to allow me to play around with the settings and ultimately dial in some decent tones.
It also finally gave me the excuse to get an acoustic amp....I've been playing a Private Stock Angelus through my conventional tube amps for the past 6 months and this should allow me to squeeze some more impressive tones out of that guitar as well.

Thanks everyone! If anyone has anything else to add, as far as setups using different combinations of amps and cables, please feel free to pile on! this continues to be a great forum for increasing my PRS (and related gear) IQ.

Like Jamie, Dane, and Hans, I have two cords--one for each output. I like to run the piezo through a very subtle compressor before hitting a DI into the PA. Without the PA, I just run the MIX/MAG through my normal pedal board and into the amp. It's impressive how acoustic the system sounds even through a tube amp. Enjoy!

Doc, let us know what you think of the mini, I am looking at getting one of those also.

I don't like to use my hands to control the piezo/magnetic thing. So, when I have a gig that I will need the piezo sounds, I run the magnetic on my electric set up and the piezo sound on the console. I leave both (magnetic and piezo) on all the time on my guitar and I run a single stereo cable stereo and use Redial's PZ.DI to switch between sounds. I think using my feet instead of my hands is esier to me. Now they have a new unit called PZ Select, witch looks the same as mine, so I don't know the difference, but mine is the older one.

http://www.tonebone.com/tb-pzselect.htm
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RkqMKMjgDlw

Hi aduayer,
Does this work for you? The documentation on the Piezo system states that the MIX/MAG input jack is a regular mono jack. I also would like to have hands free switching between the magnetic and piezo, but want to confirm that it will work with a single cord (mono or stereo) before spending $299. thanks.

Funny....in getting an email that showed a new post on this thread...from the title...I was chuckling to myself, wondering who the "piezo newbie" was who needed this information.

Then I realized that it was me, about 3 months ago.

Ironically, I returned the PRS Employee model that had the piezo as it was not as the seller represented. That being said, the information I got back in November was very helpful; and prior to returning the guitar I was able to check out the tone both with and without piezo...as well as piezo alone and blended. Too bad the guitar was in such terrible shape, or I would have kept it...it sounded divine....I just didn't want to pay "mint" prices for a guitar represented and priced as such having received it with numerous dents, scratches and signs of significant wear.

However, I have ordered a PS with the Piezo, so all this information will be put to good use in about 3-6 months.

Back