USA PRS Tremonti 2013 Nut Problem

Mark Harris

Hi All

I am new to this site and would like some advice on a graphite nut. A friend asked me to help with some buzzing. He had a techie do a setup a year ago and after recently replacing the strings it's buzzing on the d string open. Ahhh this must be a nut problem as it doesn't occur when fretting.
When I looked at the nut the strings are buried in a groove which looks a little like an ancient burial ground...English humour meaning the grooves are deep.
So the question is this normal for graphite and PRS guitars?

Can post any photos as I am new on the site

a>

Last edited:
Hello and welcome.

This is not normal for graphite, other materials, on any guitar. Before buying a new nut try building up the affected slot with super glue and pencil lead filings then recut carefully with a thin file.

Not at all. You can remove some material from the top of the same nut if it is substantial enough. Tape up both ends of the slot to avoid spillage. Pour the filings into the slot with a piece of folded paper. Add a drop of super glue. Mix it a little with a toothpick or a pin. Wait a good hour or so then get to work on the slot. I have tried the pencil lead method before and it worked for me. The nut is still good following several string changes. Haven't noticed any change in tone or sustain.

Back