Urgent question about PRS SE EG models

mojo1fan

urgent because I'm looking at one on an auction that ends soon.

I currently own an SE EG with trem, in white. I am pretty sure I would prefer a model with the stoptail bridge, due to the bigger string clearance to the body (ie the trem model has no back angle on the neck, and the strings are real close to the body, like a typical Fender).

I have found a stoptail model that is just like mine, in white. But to be honest, I'd prefer one in tobacco sunburst. How can I find out if PRS ever offered the stoptail model in tobacco sunburst? All I've seen online are white, metallic red, or metallic blue.

Welp, too late now, I suspect. The EGs were made when PRS didn't necessarily keep solid long-term records of what was made when, being all pre-MODCAT etc. And they have been known to do one-off colors often, which may not be recorded in their "catalog", per se.

have you Googled for a PRS catalog from the era you are interested? Might find something...

All I've been able to do is google tobacco sunburst SE EGs and then look at images. I have yet to find one with a stop tailpiece. So I said to heck with it and pulled the trigger on this white one I found.

The good thing about buying another white one is my wife will never know there's a new guitar in the house. :p

All I've been able to do is google tobacco sunburst SE EGs and then look at images. I have yet to find one with a stop tailpiece. So I said to heck with it and pulled the trigger on this white one I found.

The good thing about buying another white one is my wife will never know there's a new guitar in the house. :p
You could also buy sunburst and block the trem...

That does nothing to change the clearance between strings and body.
Then deck it?
The issue the OP has is the geometry of stoptail bridges vs trems and the "clearance" the strings have above the body - trems tend to have strings that are closer than stoptails to the body, especially at the bridge pup, almost like stoptails slant away. I don't think the OP is concerned about the trem feature itself.

The issue the OP has is the geometry of stoptail bridges vs trems and the "clearance" the strings have above the body - trems tend to have strings that are closer than stoptails to the body, especially at the bridge pup, almost like stoptails slant away. I don't think the OP is concerned about the trem feature itself.

Exactly.

Back