Upgrade a SE or Buy CE

Anthony Novello

Hello looking to sell my older 2010 SE and get a new one .
I like the SEs and wondering if I bought a new SE and did some upgrades like pickups / Locking Tuners / trem bridge and nut will the upgrades be worth the $$ on a SE or maybe a s2 or just go for a CE
Not sure I will like the thicker neck of the S2 and can’t find one local to try

I want more of a flame top and bevel top.. mine is quilted top and flat and looking at a different color .
I got it for a great price and trying to sell it now .

Hello looking to sell my older 2010 SE and get a new one .
I like the SEs and wondering if I bought a new SE and did some upgrades like pickups / Locking Tuners / trem bridge and nut will the upgrades be worth the $$ on a SE or maybe a s2 or just go for a CE
Not sure I will like the thicker neck of the S2 and can’t find one local to try

If your going to upgrade the bridge and pickups on a SE you might as well budget them on the s2. They're the same. The newer CE has the same bridge too. If you got a used SE it may be worth it but new I'd say no unless you did it over time. Depending on pickups and if you do the work yourself it could double the price of a SE. Also consider John Manns SE/s2 upgrade package vs replacing to save a little. He even does the tuners.

I get it though. I go through the same thought process. You'll have a great guitar either way. I think I already posted this in one of your threads but check out the se cu24 35th. Those TCI pups sound great! Daves consistently has used guitars for a great price.

I am seeing some pretty affordable used CEs on Reverb. You still might end up wanting to change the pickups, but I think a used CE would be a better starting point than the an upgraded SE for about the same price.

Back