Updated family photos...

Thank you for buying that one. I was 98% there - with blessing - to get it. I kept waffling. I have no regrets, and I am glad you dig it!!! It's a hottie. I LOVED how it is painted but still has the natural binding. Yours is SEXY!!!

That's cool that you were eying that one! I'm a sucker for Surf Green. I was surprised they accepted my offer. I was expecting to get a "Offer Declined" reply. I keep looking at binding and thinking I should drop the rings, and ivory tuners I put on it, into a cup of coffee for a day. Maybe try to get them closer in color to the binding.

This is what I consider to be the MOST underrated guitar in the PRS line-up. I think this because I feel it can be unfairly overlooked because of the pickguard. Personally, I LOVE it!!!! Funny story.....

We did an East Coast run (nothing great, basically up I-95 from South FL to South GA) and I brought two guitars - an S2 SC STD and the SC245. At almost EVERY gig my guitars got attention. A lot was given to the SC245. A couple of older, non-player dudes thought it was a vintage guitar. But, the guitar that got the most attention - especially from younger guys in bands we were playing with - was the S2!! I remember the first show in Palm Bay, FL.....

I was packing my gear at the end of the night, and a 'kid' from the first band was standing there staring at my guitars on the rack. I asked if he wanted to see one. He nodded - my natural reaction was to grab the 245.....most people want to see the "pretty ones". As I was handing it to him, he went:

"OOHHHHH!!! NOOOOO!!! I want to see the blue one!!!! That one (245) is too flashy!!! I like the subtle look of that blue one. Why didn't you play THAT one???"

We talked about the S2. I let him strum around on it. He was THRILLED!! That ended up being the reaction from most younger players during that run.....kind of neat. Anyway, this is a replacement for that blue one. This started life as a Satin Aqua - I buffed it to a gloss because I don't like how satin feels.....

[/url

I sold mine for a stupid low price. Mine didn't have birds, so I think that made it an even harder sell. Really a super guitar model that gets tragically overlooked. I just couldn't justify keeping it.

There's definitely something to the image a guitar projects. The metallics look great on stage, but don't carry the cachet of a figured top. People in some circles scoff at the fancy stuff.

Those are some beautiful guitars - and pics - Mark! Lovely.

Thanks! Yeah, I am digging having access to a REAL camera again. We also got photo studio lighting - that made a HUGE difference. My wife and I both have YouTube channels - it's more her thing, but I WANT to get into doing it more. We figured the lighting would help with videos I would do, and if she did anything in the studio. So far they have been really helpful.

The chicken head rules!

Lol, I am debating ALL chicken heads on the Standard 22....could be cool now that it has the Surf 90s in it.

I sold mine for a stupid low price. Mine didn't have birds, so I think that made it an even harder sell. Really a super guitar model that gets tragically overlooked. I just couldn't justify keeping it.

There's definitely something to the image a guitar projects. The metallics look great on stage, but don't carry the cachet of a figured top. People in some circles scoff at the fancy stuff.

Oh, for sure. For all the people digging on my original blue one it sold at a price that HURT, lol.

I agree about image. For me, I have built my entire stage image (even prior to PRS) as being almost invisible. I am almost ALWAYS in all black, but I have a "trademark" - my straw cowboy hat. When my drummer and I go out (we're the dudes that network for the band) he's ALWAYS sporting a Pearl drums shirt (he endorses) and I am in the hat. We are INSTANTLY recognized, and people are quick to come over and chat it up.

The other part of my "image" has ALWAYS been my guitars. They provide my "color" onstage - why I have no black guitars for live use. It's also why when I switch to a different guitar, I kind of go silly - I will but several in a specific brand for use. Then it becomes:

"Oh hey!! Look - it's the guy the plays the _________!!!!" They'll recognize the hat and often the guitars. It makes it more fun. When we played with Graham Bonnet, before the show I was in the crowd and a random dude came up (never met this guy before, but I was in the cowboy hat and he obviously went to our FB page) and asked me:

"Are you playing your Paul's Guitar Special tonight???"

I smiled and thought to myself "Paul's Guitar Special? What the hell is THAT??" But, I said - "No man, I am playing that green MC58 up there." I pointed to the stage.

He was all pumped and excited...."DUDE!!!! I can't wait to hear THAT!!!! YOU GUYS ARE GONNA ROCK!!!!!"

lol....

Ok, guys got two more to go through.....

Let's make this post about a Singlecut!! This one has a story similar to the SC245. GC had - CHEAP. By the time we shipped this one over, I knew a little more about PRS. I realized Artist Package guitars could be pretty sweet - and unique. What sold me on this one was the headstock. This guitar just LOOKED awesome in the pictures. We shipped it over.

When it arrived I was a little upset. This was the first PRS I looked at that was what I would considered "beaten up". The back looks like somebody repainted it with a spray can. The glass-like finish on the top is cracked along the edges. Last night I noticed (in the new super-great light) that there are MASSIVE, dull scratches around the switch. One of the tone knobs had been SUPER GLUED to the pot. GAK!!!!!! I was heartbroken.

I bought it anyway because I got an extra 20% off since it was in worse condition than advertised. That helped a little bit, but it still bummed me out. When I got it home I realized it was like trying to steer a nuclear missile - this thing had SOOOOO much drive/output on its own that it was a misery to actually use. In the store we had fun. I tested it via a Diezel Herbert and my manager buddy and I were skull crushing away. I don't actually DO that anymore, so when reality sank in, I realized it needed a pickup change. This happened RIGHT before 57/08s were made available as replacements....which I guess is ok since the guitar had gold hardware anyway. I swapped for some SDs. When I had it apart I polished the crap out it and got it to where I could be happier......

These days this is the guitar I use if the venue is "rough". The guitar could really use a refin - the back is BAAAADDDDD - but it still looks cool and plays well!!

That headstock veneer is SICK!

Also, loving the lack of TRCs.

Yeah, man - that Whale Blue one has the Massacar Ebony fretboard and head overlay. That was the ultimate factor for me. Having played Jackson for so long, I like ebony. It's not a deal-breaker, but when I learned this one had the ebony, it was like "YES!!"

TRCs....pshhhh, who needs 'em??? I don't have to adjust often, but sometimes I need a tweak right at showtime....the cover gets in the way.

Yeah, man - that Whale Blue one has the Massacar Ebony fretboard and head overlay. That was the ultimate factor for me. Having played Jackson for so long, I like ebony. It's not a deal-breaker, but when I learned this one had the ebony, it was like "YES!!"
I really like playing an ebony board, though I am developing a growing appreciation for African Blackwood after getting a second one.

Here we have the neck to the Custom 22!!! This goes to @dmatthews and @bodia specifically, but you all may enjoy seeing a PRS played to the point where the finish is wearing off the neck. In fairness, when I bought this guitar from Dave's in WI, the neck had already been sanded, and some spots were through to the wood. However, after using this bad-boy over the last 2 years those areas have spread. I don't feel it, though I'm starting to at the fretboard....

Back