Unreleased PRS Strat-type John Mayer

That looks a vintage saddles to me... This prototype sounds fantastico!
I tend to agree with you on the saddles. And those pickup magnets look narrower than the typical "Fender" style magnet slug. Like,
maybe one coil from the Narrow Field ?

Yeah I get the PRS strat thing and the Mayer thing, but... The amp the JMOD that is what you are hearing also! WOW! Dont overlook that! Cant wait to hear one in person and yes, see and play the guitar too.

Part of a strat is the G, B and E strings being longer on the headstock side of the nut due to the 6 in line tuners. It makes sense if they're going to go 3 on a side for the headstock, to push those 3 strings out a little bit, make them a touch longer. Probably does a little something to the string tension or something like that.

I wonder what the scale length is of this guitar?? I've got to say between this video and the Belief video, that Stat tone is very convincing (much more than my NF3 is) at least to my ears.
Hope this comes to fruition (and for less than $10K):)

Sounds great. I just wish it didn't look like a PRS headstock on a strat. With all the creative designs I've seen out of PRS, it seems sort of a let down.

What is the deal with this? Never seen or heard of this model before. Is this a prototype?

Looks stratier than any of PRS's most strat-like guitars.

i like the headstock and slightly pointier bottom horn on the body. also the extra room in the cutaway, just a little helps a lot.

I would be excited about a single-coil PRS -- what single-coils do they have besides the 509? They call that a singlecoil in the Vela, so those two, I guess.

Saw that earlier. What I want is a PRS Tele

I tried to make my own.
17884249_10213222501862207_3867148361242856663_n.jpg

I do not know in USA but here, on the other side of the pond, strat players are fanatics! And they have to verify that even the screws are historically correct!

So the niche that PRS can take for such a model will be narrow and will have to be VERY well defined!
It is obvious that one of the first arguments will be the well-known quality, wood and finish of PRS ... but that would not be enough to convince one of these fans to prefer to buy a PRS rather than a Fender?
so, there will probably need a clever mix of traditional strat elements and PRS innovations / improvements?

And why not, since PRS has become sharp on pickups/electronics (the 408 'splittables' pickups without too much loss of volume, the 513, ... ) , an electronics that could, for example, give the sounds Blues (60 ') or Mayer on one side And more vintage sounds (54 ') on another?

Otherwise, a basic model without innovation will be too easily competed by the realization of a cheap partcaster.

I am looking forward to seeing the evolution and release of this model and PRS choices! :rolleyes:

I watched Mayer's Facebook live session yesterday where he answered from FB/twitter. One question "what if forced to tour with ONE guitar, what would it be ?"...his first answer was, "well, if I'm being politically correct, it's the PRS Prototype......but really it would be my '64 strat, it's the holy grail for me" He further said even Paul Smith would acknowledge how special that '64 strat is, but further said the Prototype is amazing.

So, my take away is that the Prototype is based on the '64 strat. Then again, I'm probably wrong (just ask my wife :rolleyes:).

Back