Unofficial Reclaimed Limited Thread

Sorry for kinda double posting, but this topic seems to have two threads going on. (Nobody seems to be doing NGD posts for these, either. Huh.) Anyway, I just posted the following in the "Have you guys seen..." thread, but I thought I'd also add my impressions of the guitar right after this post.

Here is my mea culpa for being a dumb ass

View attachment 4882 View attachment 4883

OMG. I've had my Vela Reclaimed now for about two weeks, LOVING it. Plays and sounds fantastic!

Anyway, just for fun last night, I went back and skimmed thru the entire 36-page "Have You Guys Seen..." thread, looking for my own pre-production Vela posted by Shawn. (Sure, right... What are the chances?!)

And... WOW. There on page 12 was my Vela! With all the nail holes and "birthmarks" in place in Shawn's lower photo!!! I'm really enjoying the visual details going on all across the top here, and I'm thrilled because I really wanted one with "stuff" going on!

86IvziU.jpg

Here's some photos of mine...

DH4kUHu.jpg

pFk4scV.jpg

Last edited:
Outstanding!!!
I think that's about the nicest looking one I've seen :)
How about a backside shot....some of those have been impressive as well....

*as I mentioned before, it's really great to see the Vela model finally getting a lot of love around here....:cool:

What follows was copied/pasted from an email I sent a friend last week. He won't mind, I'm sure...

It arrived Friday afternoon via FedEx. The packed box itself was featherweight. The gigbag will be replaced soon enuf with a "proper" case. The guitar itself might actually be THE lightest guitar that I own (and I do have a bunch!). Certainly close to being the lightest, and nothing else is coming to mind. Yikes. :)

Opening the bag... IMO, it’s gorgeous, probably one of my favorites amongst all those being posted over at the PRS forum. I’m loving the swirls, how nicely distributed they are, but still how different they are everywhere, along with the waves of thin cracks in the top, plus the three outright nail holes, too. Plus the satin finish. And the 150 yr old fingerboard wood, very dark, looking like ebony. (Yay!) Add in the offset body shape and two new and different PUs and I’m a very, VERY happy camper right there with quite an entirely new guitar for me! Really, there's no appreciable sonic overlap with my other PRSes—or really anything at all that I own. It's that unique. IMO. :)

Tuning it, I could already feel the body resonating against my chest, and that by quite a bit. Promising. VERY loud acoustic response, too. Like maybe you could actually use this recorded, unplugged for an interesting rhythm guitar track, at least in a double-tracked approach.

The neck is nicely ample, one of my favorite shapes (although, I do easily adapt). The satin finish on the neck (and the back) reveals possibly a bit too much "grain feel” in the wood, but I’m also thinking that they left out the “filling the pores” stage in building these guitars. Cost cutting? Maybe, but in keeping with the overall build feel of it? No matter, once I start playing, I could care less. :)

Cranked, it sounds fantastic. That said, I definitely enjoyed its response and tone even whilst only down in the below-5 area on the Volume knob. Wow. (I actually play "down there" a lot.) Tonally, it was VERY clear, present (not at all too much so or trebly), and I also found it to be sweetly expressive, too. (Hee hee. Hopefully, I helped out there a bit!). Like any PRS, there’s a GREAT, useful sweep on both control knobs—which I'm constantly using—and the pull-up Tone knob yields a great 95% the same volume but in a single-coil sound. (How’d they do that???) The SC setting is really quiet, too, IMO, but both SC and HB tones are excellent! Bonus: I don't usually ever like the middle toggle settings on any guitar, but with this Vela, both versions actually sound not only useable but even very good. So there I have all five PU tones sounding great, varied, and very sensitive (in a good way) to both Volume and Tone knobs. Happy happy happy! :)

I started out that first night playing the more soaring stuff. Fun!!! Played a good couple of hours at least. TBH, I wasn’t quite sure of the tone with the new Starla-imported pickup; hmm... it's kind of "wooly" on 10, almost with a Gretsch-like feel. At first. (I use my Gretsches for genre-specific stuff, not usually my “standard” rock things, so I was maybe a little bit disappointed here—at first. But that said, it’s also definitely not a Gretsch-alike either, maybe more like a distant cousin.) IMO, the new neck pickup design (new for PRS) is wonderful… very, very different, in my experience, and it will certainly be quite useful along the way. (I almost wish that it had two of these new pickups, actually. Hmm.) The second night, though, I played even longer, and I began learning what the guitar was capable of, melding, adapting my playing to the capabilities of the guitar. Eventually, those met right in the middle and I was thrilled. Zero disappointments. :)

Overall, though, I’d probably want to be using this in a rootsy-sorta band, folk-rock, country-rock, Americana stuff. IMO, it would be especially perfect for those styles. Shoot me, I'm probably way too genre-specific for my own good. This guitar could probably play anything except maybe metal.

Oh, yeah. My (entirely supportive, even enabling) wife really likes it, a lot. Even my son, the Art Director (and a great drummer) liked it a lot, esp the 150 yr old reclaimed aspect and the offset shape.

Outstanding!!!
I think that's about the nicest looking one I've seen :)
How about a backside shot....some of those have been impressive as well....

*as I mentioned before, it's really great to see the Vela model finally getting a lot of love around here....:cool:
Here's the back (nice, but definitely the "supporting" half of this guitar's visual equation!). :)

Xa6Kb7S.jpg

Last edited:
This is the best I've seen!!! Wow. Suddenly my Vela seems inadequate. :)

Sorry for kinda double posting, but this topic seems to have two threads going on. (Nobody seems to be doing NGD posts for these, either. Huh.) Anyway, I just posted the following in the "Have you guys seen..." thread, but I thought I'd also add my impressions of the guitar right after this post.

OMG. I've had my Vela Reclaimed now for about two weeks, LOVING it. Plays and sounds fantastic!

Anyway, just for fun last night, I went back and skimmed thru the entire 36-page "Have You Guys Seen..." thread, looking for my own pre-production Vela posted by Shawn. (Sure, right... What are the chances?!)

And... WOW. There on page 12 was my Vela! With all the nail holes and "birthmarks" in place in Shawn's lower photo!!! I'm really enjoying the visual details going on all across the top here, and I'm thrilled because I really wanted one with "stuff" going on!

Here's some photos of mine...

I've pre-ordered a Vela from Peach Guitars in the UK and don't even have an ETA. Seems like there's a bit of a delay in getting these shipped over to Europe. Andertons are showing that they're expecting them in on 30th June...

I've pre-ordered a Vela from Peach Guitars in the UK and don't even have an ETA. Seems like there's a bit of a delay in getting these shipped over to Europe. Andertons are showing that they're expecting them in on 30th June...

I feel your pain. I've seen a number of EU-only PRS SE guitars that are smashing, however they won't be selling in the States.

Fyi - the coil "split" on the Vela doesn't actually split to single coil. It just runs both coils through a resistor a'la DGT wiring...
The DGT does split the coil and add a resistor to the circuit. At least it does on mine. Now I'm curious about the Vela and may pull the pick guard when I change the strings this week.

The DGT does split the coil and add a resistor to the circuit. At least it does on mine. Now I'm curious about the Vela and may pull the pick guard when I change the strings this week.

Right, it is a coil split. However, instead of running the series connection directly to ground and fully cancelling the coil there is a resistor in series so only part of the signal is cancelled. The Vela does indeed have this wiring for the bridge pickup, based on pics I've seen.

A potentiometer is a variable resistor, so you can think of the split with resistor wiring like a volume control for one coil, but with a set position. There's even a wiring scheme called spin-a-split that uses a pot to vary the amount of coil cut. I wouldn't be at all surprised if PRS did something similar on a test guitar to find the resistance value they liked best.

I played my RL SH Vela last night at a pseudo-spur-of-the-moment band jam. One of the other guys has a new song we're starting to develop (I'd heard it once before, last week, right after he wrote it). He's decided it needs a bit of a rock'n'roll feel, so my job was to accompany his acoustic with a clean electric rhythm and do a lightly dirty lead solo. The Vela was outstanding! I used the neck pup for the rhythm, playing through a clean channel, and then used the bridge (not split) through some light RAT distortion and light delay for the lead breaks. Wowzers, that guitar definitely had a country-rock tele-esque feel to it, but in that PRS-unique way! And that sound worked perfectly for the song.

I used the guitar for most of the night, putting it through a BodyRez and Fishman Aura (50/50 mix of direct vs image) for a pseudo-acoustic sound for some songs, which works well against the regular acoustic guitars of the other band members - it provides a good separation of the instruments, rather than two or three acoustics all sounding the same, going chugga chugga chunka chunka. It doesn't cop an acoustic sound quite as well as my piezo-equipped electrics (e.g. P24), but it doesn't need to - that's what I have the P24 etc for, and if I want a full acoustic sound, well, I pick up an acoustic!

Man I love this guitar! And it is so nice and light!

Someone should snatch up that second one. That top is sweet. Dark and full of character.

Back