Unknown Guitar

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Michael G, Jul 12, 2018 at 6:41 PM.

Tags:
  1. Michael G

Michael G New Member

I was recently gifted a PRS CE 22 single cutaway. Going by the serial number it is a 1996. However, it doesn't have a bolt on neck and has only one volume and one tone control with a three way switch. I can't find anything like it on line. Does anybody know what this is exactly? Does PRS make Ce's without bolt on necks?

2. ElrytNamrogo

ElrytNamrogo My name be scrambled

All CE's are bolt-on and are all double-cut. CE-22's were a thing of the past, and the current line-up only consists of CE-24. Sounds like maybe you have an SE Singlecut, but without pictures it's hard to pinpoint what exact model you have. Here is a picture of an SE Singlecut trem (the one on the right)....not sure if yours is anything like this.

[​IMG]

3. vchizzle

vchizzle Birdman.

I’ve never known of a singlecut prior to 2000 or so. Could it be a 2006 singlecut trem?

4. Michael G

Michael G New Member

Thanks...mine looks very similar (moon inlays, etc.) but here is what is odd. On the back of the headstock, the serial number has a CE in front of it. It also says made in Korea. Lastly, don't the SE's from back then say SE on the headstock. This one just has Paul's signature. Mine has different pickups and is a hard tail. I will post a picture soon
    [​IMG]

5. markd21

markd21 New Member

Is the headstock black? I'll be curious to see the picture - because, IF the headstock is black and has a gold signature logo with a Korean SN I know that guitar....

6. Michael G

Michael G New Member

Because I am so new, the forum won't let me post a picture of the guitar. The headstock is black and the guitar is red. I can send you a pic if you give me an email address, either way, Let me know what you know..

thanks

7. dsenoj

dsenoj Old dude in a PRS T-shirt

I think you have a recent SE Singlecut. I think the "CE" mark you have is this https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/CE_marking and not that your guitar is a CE. What's the serial number? That should identify the year.

8. garrett

garrett Not a New Member

@Michael G it sounds like an SE Singlecut from the 00's. The USA Singlecut didn't come out until 2000, and the SE models followed a few years later.

Here is how to identify the date of an SE: http://www.prsguitars.com/csc/year.html

SE Model Serial Numbers
    The serial number on SE model guitars can be found on the back of the headstock.

The year of manufacture for SE guitars can be determined by the letter prefix prior to the sequence of numbers that follow.

Prefix Letter Year
    A 2000
    B 2001
    C 2002
    D 2003
    E 2004
    F 2005
    G 2006
    H 2007
    I 2008
    J 2009
    K 2010
    L 2011
    M 2012
    N 2013
    O 2014​

Here's what the headstock should look like on one of these, but there are some DIY headstock overlays and decals with the signature that people will add.

[​IMG]

9. goat-n-gitter

goat-n-gitter Dismembered

Sounds like a 2017 or newer SE singlecut. They just switched in the last couple years from saying SE on the headstock face to having Paul's signature (maybe it was 2016?, but I think 2017).

10. garrett

garrett Not a New Member

Can't be. OP said it has single volume/tone and moons.

11. goat-n-gitter

goat-n-gitter Dismembered

D'oh, I missed that - good catch.

12. shinksma

shinksma What? I get a title?

OP:

If it says it is made in Korea, it is an SE.

The CE marking is undoubtedly the one shown in the post from @garrett - it is the European marking for electrical safety standards.

If you have the gold signature, it is a newer SE model.

What I don't understand is that if it is indeed a singlecut, how does it have only one tone and vol control, and a three-way? Were there any limited runs of SEs done recently with that layout?

13. garrett

garrett Not a New Member

That's why I'm thinking it's the original version from the 00's, but someone modified the headstock.

14. Wakester

Wakester Class Clown

The CE you are seeing is a CE Mark, not the model.

The letters "CE" are the abbreviation of French phrase "Conformité Européene" which literally means "European Conformity". The term initially used was "EC Mark" and it was officially replaced by "CE Marking" in the Directive 93/68/EEC in 1993. "CE Marking" is now used in all EU official documents.

#14 Wakester, Jul 14, 2018 at 3:55 AM
    Last edited: Jul 14, 2018 at 4:01 AM
    sergiodeblanc likes this.