UK Guitarist mag has an ongoing "turn an S2 into a 'john mayer' project"

I saw the article -- looks like it'll be pretty cool when it's done!

Yes, the the Not-So-Super Eagle turned out pretty cool! I’ve been using and gigging it for a couple of weeks and even got a chance to compare it with the real thing, a Super Eagle II. The next issue of Guitarist will have the rest of the story and pics, that’s issue 424 on sale in the UK on 25th August.

I can’t ruin the fun but, yes, I snaffled a S2 Custom Semi-Hollow in the old spec solid black finish that had had a head break and had been professionally repaired. I can say that I emulated the electronic spec on the Mayer adding coil-split switches to the humbuckers (57/08s), an onboard preamp and a seven sound mod on a push/push switched tone control. I also aged the finish and hardware to go for a ‘old PRS’ vibe. Great fun but a lot of work. Now, if only PRS actually made one we could actually buy at a price we could afford, I’d have saved myself a few days (unpaid!) work!

Thanks for reading.

Dave Burrluck

Yes, the the Not-So-Super Eagle turned out pretty cool! I’ve been using and gigging it for a couple of weeks and even got a chance to compare it with the real thing, a Super Eagle II. The next issue of Guitarist will have the rest of the story and pics, that’s issue 424 on sale in the UK on 25th August.

I can’t ruin the fun but, yes, I snaffled a S2 Custom Semi-Hollow in the old spec solid black finish that had had a head break and had been professionally repaired. I can say that I emulated the electronic spec on the Mayer adding coil-split switches to the humbuckers (57/08s), an onboard preamp and a seven sound mod on a push/push switched tone control. I also aged the finish and hardware to go for a ‘old PRS’ vibe. Great fun but a lot of work. Now, if only PRS actually made one we could actually buy at a price we could afford, I’d have saved myself a few days (unpaid!) work!

Thanks for reading.

Dave Burrluck

The huge plus is that you get to go onstage and make use of what sounds like an outstanding fun/creative project!

Big fan of your writing over the years, BTW.

Bangin'!

Me too. In all honesty, and I'm slightly embarrassed to admit it, that big-@ssed PRS book is probably my most re-read book of all time. :oops::rolleyes::D
Indeed. If I could only find my updated soft cover version, I could stop busting out my hardcover and not worry about spilling coffee or beer on it. I'm not even certain it made it back from Experience when I bought it.

Indeed. If I could only find my updated soft cover version, I could stop busting out my hardcover and not worry about spilling coffee or beer on it. I'm not even certain it made it back from Experience when I bought it.

I need to find the updated one... mine is the older print and absolutely gnarly.

Back