Two guitars at PTC for me

Look ma, no screws!

neckmounted_zps8c90b07c.jpg

Bridge pickup routed - note that Skitchy routed it so close to the perfect depth that you can see the original writing again!

temporary_zps7e2871ca.jpg

The boy's got skillz!

That is absolutely amazing! Think of the tolerances involved here. Routes through the plug, but not through the clear originally in place there; a space of what, a few thousandths? Unbelievable! :congrats:

Lloyd

Last edited:
Just curious - whats the reason that the neck pickup was only epoxied and the bridge pickup was plugged with wood? Lookin' killer guys!

Just curious - whats the reason that the neck pickup was only epoxied and the bridge pickup was plugged with wood? Lookin' killer guys!

Extra rigidity at the top of the rout, where the neck attaches???

Jamie

According to Skitchy, it was easy to block the bridge pickup with wood, but he needed more control over the cavity for the neck pickup. Because the tongue of the neck doesn't sit flat in the pickup cavity, he used epoxy so that it would ooze into each little crevice assuring no gaps.

According to Skitchy, it was easy to block the bridge pickup with wood, but he needed more control over the cavity for the neck pickup. Because the tongue of the neck doesn't sit flat in the pickup cavity, he used epoxy so that it would ooze into each little crevice assuring no gaps.
I took me a day or two for this to sink in correctly. At first I thought, why wouldn't the neck sit flat against the wood? Wouldn't it do that when bolted in? Then I realized you were talking about the top part of the tongue not sitting flat with the rest of the wood, like if you've got no pickup in there and you're looking into the rout, the neck wouldn't be flat with the rest of the rout.

Wasn't the decision to make it a set neck a function of the geometry of having a NF mounted in there instead of a full size humbucker? I've noticed the other NF SASes have a little round lip that sticks out under the heel that I assumed was all about giving the neck a little more wood to sit on, and giving the bolt on back plates the ability to move just a little bit toward the neck since the rout for the pickup didn't give the neck as much real estate to grab on to.

Geez, if that makes sense at all. I'm sorry, I'm nearly braindead after a very hard day at work. It's beer o'clock.

The tongue of the neck goes beyond the area covered by the pickup now, so we have to fill that area or else there would be a big gap near the pickup. When we filled that area it made a set neck guitar.

We ovoid the gap issue on the Narrrowfield models by adjusting the neckjoint. Look at the design of the NF3 neckjoint and then look at the neckjoint of a Custom, they are vastly different.

Back