Tuning Issues on new S2 Mira

Stuart Kirsh

Just bought an S2 Mira Semi-hollow. I'm having to constantly re-tune. Didn't expect this with locking tuners. Strings are D'Addario NYXL. Anybody else have issues with these strings on their S2 ???

I think we're going to need a bit more info. Apologies if any of these are 'duh' questions to you...

- Are the strings coming back sharp or flat?
- Do you hear any pinging when you tune?
- Are the strings fully stretched?
- Are the locks tightened?

I agree with needing more info... locking tuners are only part of the battle... If you strings are broken in and the locks are tight, you’re probably binding in the nut. Try some lubrication or some micromesh to polish the grooves in the nut!

"Duh" questions are appropriate, it turns out. I should've checked some of the above, before posting.

I'd erroneously assumed "high end boutique guitar shop" tech would've sufficiently tightened tuners.
Upon checking, they definitely seemed loose.

Made the same mistake of assuming he'd stretched strings, but, nope.

For the past two years, I've only played acoustic, so I'm used to playing medium gauge acoustic strings.
This may explain why I broke two strings while stretching them. I do have a question:

Is it possible to push strings out of tune even with locking tuners ?

I happened to have a set of NYXL 10's so I put them on. Didn't break any of them while stretching. We'll see what happens.
Hopefully the 10's will render all of the above moot.

Thanks

"Duh" questions are appropriate, it turns out. I should've checked some of the above, before posting.

I'd erroneously assumed "high end boutique guitar shop" tech would've sufficiently tightened tuners.
Upon checking, they definitely seemed loose.

Made the same mistake of assuming he'd stretched strings, but, nope.

For the past two years, I've only played acoustic, so I'm used to playing medium gauge acoustic strings.
This may explain why I broke two strings while stretching them. I do have a question:

Is it possible to push strings out of tune even with locking tuners ?

I happened to have a set of NYXL 10's so I put them on. Didn't break any of them while stretching. We'll see what happens.
Hopefully the 10's will render all of the above moot.

Thanks
Most of the time, the problem is at the nut, not the tuners (assuming they are locked properly).

And with no wraps around the post.
This

If the seller doesn't use locking tuners or isn't used to them they might string them like normal ones and it kinda defeats the purpose - if it's second hand of course

If you've got fresh strings, they are nice and stretched, you're locked up properly etc, try lubing the nut a little. Is it only going out of tune when you bend strings?

Back