Tube dealers?

I live real close to that exit, so if you drive slow enough I can toss it in your window. Or stop in for a beverage!

My company has an office at that exit (Ricoh), which is why I always remember it. I'll be blasting through on a Friday about lunch time heading north, and same time Sunday heading south.

My company has an office at that exit (Ricoh), which is why I always remember it. I'll be blasting through on a Friday about lunch time heading north, and same time Sunday heading south.
Friday I'll still be at work, unless you're dropping off my b-day present. Sunday I'll likely be at rehearsal(also right off that exit), you're welcome to stop in and plug into my rig. I'll pm my # to you.

Friday I'll still be at work, unless you're dropping off my b-day present. Sunday I'll likely be at rehearsal(also right off that exit), you're welcome to stop in and plug into my rig. I'll pm my # to you.

Roger that! Make sure you got cash, or a good check! Not sure I'll be able to swing it on Sunday with the Mrs and the pups, but I'll certainly float it past her! You could check out the SC I'll be headed home with (Charcoal burst 594). I just need to push a couple more things to Reverb!

They don't build tubes like they used to (I mean modern production tubes not NOS stuff)

I have vintage radiolas and radios with the original Australian made tubes from the 20s 30s and 40s that still work...

and recently I lost an el84 in 2 hours. +countless tubes that were microphonic on arrival or completely dead.

I really wish I had a reputable tube dealer here like people do overseas. One that tests tubes properly, and packs them properly for shipping.

As far as production tubes go I have never had a bad JJ, although I think they sound pretty dodgy and the el84s rattle like a coke can full of used needles. EHX, sovtek and other russian builds sound nicer but they all fail on me.

They don't build tubes like they used to (I mean modern production tubes not NOS stuff)

I have vintage radiolas and radios with the original Australian made tubes from the 20s 30s and 40s that still work...

and recently I lost an el84 in 2 hours. +countless tubes that were microphonic on arrival or completely dead.

So very true. And new production tubes are getting worse, not better.

Of course, I was around buying tubes in the 1920s, so I'm used to the good ones.... :)

I wish this weren't so, but with the lack of Ei Elite, it's hard to argue...the last bastion of new good guitar tubes...

I had a conversation on this topic with one of the techs at Mesa. He said that the problem is not in our collective imaginations as guitar aficionados. It's real. The quality is declining.

They've had a lot of problems with even the best tubes they can find, especially with issues like tube rattle, etc. And if they, with all their resources, can't find great tubes on the market, it's kind of a shame. I'm still hopeful that someone will come along and solve the problem in the US.

Fwiw i really want to try the shuguang or whatever they are called chinese tubes. I have read great things about reliability, which to me is more important than tone sadly. Just sick of tubes dying or rattling audibly

I have had good luck with Doug at dougstubes when I retubed my roadster. My archon doesnt need any treatment as of yet!

Back