Truss Rod Adjustment

Wailin' Eddie

I have a 2010 Custom 24 SE 25th Anniversary. The truss rod has been needing to be adjusted. The neck is set straight with no relief to be playable with no string buzz. Now, every couple of weeks the neck develops relief on it's own. I reset it back to zero relief and then it gets relief again. My question is, can the truss rod loosen on it's own? I own several guitars and have been playing for 50 years and never have heard of this happening. Can someone help me out?

I have a 2010 Custom 24 SE 25th Anniversary. The truss rod has been needing to be adjusted. The neck is set straight with no relief to be playable with no string buzz. Now, every couple of weeks the neck develops relief on it's own. I reset it back to zero relief and then it gets relief again. My question is, can the truss rod loosen on it's own? I own several guitars and have been playing for 50 years and never have heard of this happening. Can someone help me out?

I have multiple PRS, but this only happens on one, and only at the change from fall to winter, and the again from winter to spring. Not sure where you're located, (I'm in Chicago) or if you have drastic changes in climate this type of year. That's all I got. Plenty more will chime in though.

Welcome to the Forum.

My initial answer to your question (truss rod loosening) would be no.Sounds like you've been "around the block a time or two" LOLOL (50 years of playing), so you probably already know this, but...have you recently put heavier strings ( say 9's to 10's) on the guitar??? I have seen where it takes a couple small adjustments for a neck to settle in to a good position.

Hi, thanks for the welcome
I have multiple PRS, but this only happens on one, and only at the change from fall to winter, and the again from winter to spring. Not sure where you're located, (I'm in Chicago) or if you have drastic changes in climate this type of year. That's all I got. Plenty more will chime in though.

Welcome to the Forum.
.I live in Buffalo and we have had wide temperature changes this winter. I think you may be right. I hope it's just the rod loosening and I won't end up tightening the rod all the way down. Thanks.

Hi, thanks for the welcome

.I live in Buffalo and we have had wide temperature changes this winter. I think you may be right. I hope it's just the rod loosening and I won't end up tightening the rod all the way down. Thanks.

Buffalo...yea, you get it in spades! Good luck!

My initial answer to your question (truss rod loosening) would be no.Sounds like you've been "around the block a time or two" LOLOL (50 years of playing), so you probably already know this, but...have you recently put heavier strings ( say 9's to 10's) on the guitar??? I have seen where it takes a couple small adjustments for a neck to settle in to a good position.
Hi, thanks for answering. I haven't changed my string, but I've started thinking maybe it's the weather. I live in Buffalo. Our temps have been way up and down. Hope that's all it is. Have a great weekend.

Back