True blue?

P90s

I've noticed that the on-line pictures of blue PRS guitars don't always match their appearance in person. I've seen "whale blue" guitars on-ilne that glowed like sapphires; in person they are never as brilliant. I saw an aquamarine guitar that was beautiful in the pictures; when I saw it F2F it looked a lot more green than blue. Conclusion: accurate photographs of blue guitars are difficult to come by.
Is there a PRS blue that doesn't have green overtones? Appreciate any guidance you guys have.

Keep in mind that every stain job is unique, and wood is naturally a bit yellow.

In my experience, these look "blue" with little/no green:

Blue Matteo

River Blue (slightly faded or gray-ish)

The guitars that have been "Aquamarine" in my experience have been very blue, hardly any green, but that doesn't mean there isn't variation.

I think all the colors aren't done justice in photography when it comes to PRSi (unless it's stellar photography work), blue may be the toughest, I'll take your word for it.
All the more reason to get out and see them first hand and in person.;)

Stains vary so do photos depending on the light used when taking the photo. True color is under full spectrum light or sunlight. I’ve on two different whale blue PRS’s, my fave is more like indigo but I had a Mira maple top that was more like Sapphire, both beautiful and unique.

I love those blues!

I've had a few blue stain guitars. You can make them look bright and sparkly with a flash camera, but they always look much darker in normal light in my experience.

The comments above about green are accurate. Blue color wood is an enigma, as wood tends not to want to be blue.

This is probably why VY looks so amazing on guitars. They prefer it.

Photos of blue guitars cannot be trusted to reflect the actual colour. This one is pretty true. I took it with sun coming into the window, but no light hitting the guitar.
CK_108BlueGrassBodyAAA.JPG

Maybe it's finally time to set the color balance on your monitor?
There is that...if your monitor is like most, it isn't ideal for accurate color reproduction, and most "out of the box" settings tend to over-saturate colors.

Blue is beautiful. Accept it. No sense trying to deny it. Never mind what the pictures look like.;)[/Q
Photos of blue guitars cannot be trusted to reflect the actual colour. This one is pretty true. I took it with sun coming into the window, but no light hitting the guitar.
CK_108BlueGrassBodyAAA.JPG

That's BEAUTIFUL. Which color is that?

Keep in mind that every stain job is unique, and wood is naturally a bit yellow.

In my experience, these look "blue" with little/no green:

Blue Matteo

River Blue (slightly faded or gray-ish)

The guitars that have been "Aquamarine" in my experience have been very blue, hardly any green, but that doesn't mean there isn't variation.
No hint of green in my Faded blue Jean 513.

The PRS "Royal Blue" is not going to look green at all.

I've noticed that the on-line pictures of blue PRS guitars don't always match their appearance in person. I've seen "whale blue" guitars on-ilne that glowed like sapphires; in person they are never as brilliant. I saw an aquamarine guitar that was beautiful in the pictures; when I saw it F2F it looked a lot more green than blue. Conclusion: accurate photographs of blue guitars are difficult to come by.
Is there a PRS blue that doesn't have green overtones? Appreciate any guidance you guys have.

Royal Blue
Whale Blue
Faded Whale Blue
Faded Blue Jean

Blue Matteo and the Blue Crab variations can lean more towards turquoise
River Blue and Makena Blue definitely have green highlights to my eyes

Color reproduction on the internet is far better than it used to be when there were only 256 web safe colors.

The good production shots that you see from retailers are closest if not right on color because everything is (relatively) color calibrated. Someone shooting a guitar lit by room light or an in-camera flash won't be able to provide an accurate color because of surrounding color contamination. Many cameras and cell phones have presets which will saturate the colors of the jpegs, which will also lead to a glowing color. Over exposure or under exposure changes the color from dark to saturated to pastel. As mentioned it your monitor contributes to the problem; Apple's standard monitor profile is cooler with more contrast than a PC profile. As you can see there are a whole number of gremlins at work.

Last edited:
The Red one is the same guitar the darker colors with deep flame or quilt need a bunch of light to show off everything and are just tough to photograph

Wow, it looks like two different red guitars, both great but so different

Back