Tribute to a special guitar

Tonart

Tone of the Art......or is that backwards?
When I bought it, it was out of curiosity.

I didn’t bond with it for the longest time - perhaps I was blind. I didn’t really care - pehaps I was deaf.

Then I started to record a song. This guitar sounded like a woody cathedral bell. No other guitar would have carried its track, not private stocks nor collection guitars. And since the song is a tribute to Mother Teresa and Gandhi, it was so appropriate.

Now, it is a keeper forevah. I’ll feature it heavily for my next song, which will have a slight medieval battlefield vibe to it. Again, the hollow and woody tone of this guitar will be a perfect fit. It may not stay in tune very well, but that is just a matter of a little nut. But the tone, boy oh boy.

I salute you, my trusty friend
bIcEGNE.jpg

Hell yea man, that's awesome you were able to bond with this guitar even though it took some time. Great guitars don't have to be expensive, as this post shows. Some of the best guitars I've played have been cheaper than their more expensive counterparts. As the saying goes, sometimes the whole is greater than the sum of its parts.

If you have a Spotify or iTunes account, it’s the very first sound you hear on this track. It really does sound like cathedral bells to me.

(Late Edit): It also happens to be a TRIBUTE (there’s that word again!) to Mother Teresa and Gandhi.
OFUa18O.jpg

Last edited:
Hell yea man, that's awesome you were able to bond with this guitar even though it took some time. Great guitars don't have to be expensive, as this post shows. Some of the best guitars I've played have been cheaper than their more expensive counterparts. As the saying goes, sometimes the whole is greater than the sum of its parts.
Yeah you are absolutely right. Another great guitar I have that is at “blew my mind” level, is a Bernie Marsden. Man, that one competes at the level of a Gibson CS reissue. Totally amazing for the price.

Frankly, it makes a private stock owner like me worry :p..

Some guitars just have more personality. But one doesn't always recognize it immediately. I've had that experience myself a couple of times and since then I always try to spend a little time together before I conclude that a particular guitar isn't for me. I used to feel I could pick the good ones pretty much immediately, or at least after a few minutes of play time. I wonder sometimes about all the guitars I've passed on over the years because I didn't bond with them right away.

Luckily, if a guitar feels great to me from the first moments, mostly it stays that way. I tend to look for liveliness first, along with a neck that feels good in my hand. And those don't change much.

I tend to look for liveliness first, along with a neck that feels good in my hand. And those don't change much.
Spot on! You can bet the pickups will sense that perfectly too.

In fact, and this is merely my own experiential conclusion that I do not foist on anyone else, acoustic tone and amplified tone of an electric guitar are two faces of the same coin.

They both stem from the same root - how a metal string vibrates sitting on that particular piece of wood.

Last edited:
One face of this coin energizes the air directly to our ears.

The other simply goes about the same thing in a more convoluted path - string movement is replicated by the pickups through a different physical phenomena, sent to the amp, and the amp replicates ‘back’ into the air domain and onto our ears. Additional spices inevitably gets added into such a convoluted route, but the soup base is the same.

One face of this coin energizes the air directly to our ears.

The other simply goes about the same thing in a more convoluted path - string movement is replicated by the pickups through a different physical phenomena, sent to the amp, and the amp replicates ‘back’ into the air domain and onto our ears. Additional spices inevitably gets added into such a convoluted route, but the soup base is the same.
I tend to be lookin for a kind of “scotch broth” tone!;)

Nice! It's interesting how different things can sound on a recording vs. real life.

Anyway, your title made me think it was going to be about a long lost instrument and also reminded me of this:

Nice! It's interesting how different things can sound on a recording vs. real life.

Anyway, your title made me think it was going to be about a long lost instrument and also reminded me of this:

Hahaha looks like everyone’s writing tributes these days! Okay okay, in my credit, the solo in my song is just a weeeee bit longer yeah! :p

Okay, you were referring to the thread title. I thought you were referring to the song I recorded using the guitar (see post above), cos the song also happens to be a tribute. There’s that word again!!

Last edited:
Anyway, just to share the lyrics. Hope you all like it.

An ode to (Mother) Saint Teresa of Calcutta and (Mahatma) Mohandas K Gandhi

Lights

In my inner dreams where it softly glows
Stands a figure of white and azure
Before her calloused hands laid a leprous man
Who was deemed to be near his last

By his stricken side she stooped to cleanse his wounds
As a hundred were gathered in wonder
They could never understand how it could be found
That a stranger would be loved as a son

Though we stand beaten and assailed against these tides
Yet I know we won’t be giving up this fight