Trem Springs

DuncanCE22

Good morning (or evening/afternoon, depending whereabouts you are in the world)

I need a quick bit of advice. Chatting to a guitar friend last night and he suggested I change the Trem springs on my CE due to their age, now this was the first time I've ever heard of trem springs being a serviceable item. the guitar is a 2005 so not really old but it is far from brand new and it has been well played .

I might add, my friend didn't play the guitar, he just assumed that after nearly 13 years they should need a change.

I don't even really know what difference to expect if I did change them.

So what do you lot reckon? change or not to change?

Good morning (or evening/afternoon, depending whereabouts you are in the world)

I need a quick bit of advice. Chatting to a guitar friend last night and he suggested I change the Trem springs on my CE due to their age, now this was the first time I've ever heard of trem springs being a serviceable item. the guitar is a 2005 so not really old but it is far from brand new and it has been well played .

I might add, my friend didn't play the guitar, he just assumed that after nearly 13 years they should need a change.

I don't even really know what difference to expect if I did change them.

So what do you lot reckon? change or not to change?

I’d be inclined to say no, initially!

A check of them, to make sure they’re not damaged, wouldn’t be a bad idea.

I’ve a 25 year old guitar, the springs are just as good as when I bought it.

If you want a change, there are plenty of choices out there, for not a huge investment.

I’d be inclined to say no, initially!

A check of them, to make sure they’re not damaged, wouldn’t be a bad idea.

I’ve a 25 year old guitar, the springs are just as good as when I bought it.

If you want a change, there are plenty of choices out there, for not a huge investment.

That's what I thought, I haven't got any issues with them, but then I have been playing this guitar for so long now that I don't know if I'd of noticed if there was a difference.

Yeah, unless you're reeeeeeeeaaaaaaaaally abusing the trem or you're having tuning stability issues after trem use, I wouldn't worry too much about it.

If you're not have issues with tuning, or stability during bends, I'd leave them alone.

If it stays in tune then leave it be.
I have changed springs but it was on guitars that had the claw screwed tight to the body and trem pulled down tight to body.
In this case the springs were stretched for who knows how long and they are cheap enough to replace.

Back