Travis and the Musical Theme Of The Day

For the 70s, you’d almost need three playlists. So much great 70s music... funk, disco, arena rock, hard rock, punk, prog, glam, Dolly Parton...

Travis here...

This playlist was democratically scrawled on the paper that covers my workbench. The process of compiling and executing the list was wildly more popular / entertaining than anticipated. I thought I'd end up with 10 maybe 15 songs, ended up with over 150. Next week will likely be 90s, but there have been tons of good future themes brainstormed already (supergroups, power trios, Motown, genres, eras etc.). 80s day will probably recur monthly in a more refined format, broken into glam/hair, pop/dance segments. We will vote on Mondays and Tuesdays and I'll take some feedback from the forum too (Winger will be included next time, a near-fatal omission).

What did we learn?
The J. Geils Band "Centerfold" can go. (I'll try "Freeze Frame" instead)
The Outfields "Your Love" is absolutely critical.

Can I come work in your area?

For J. Geils, you can pull out the live version of "Sanctuary" from the live album from the Freeze Frame tour, "Showtime!". It's a rip-roarer.

Many of those folks weren't even born when these songs were recorded. I feel so old :(

The good news is that they like the music that made us (and coincidentally was made before they were born). I don't know if you despised your parents' music as much as I did (50's RnR and "easy listening" (barf...)) but I'm glad I wasn't part of a lametastic generation of music.

I mean we could be on an accordion forum here if we had the simple misfortune of being born a couple of decades earlier FFS...

I want a guitar built only on the funk and disco days.
Lollers, if I were able to pick the days my guitar was built, it would be to avoid disco. Not that I'm saying you should, I think it would be a good mojo match for you. Of course, if I got to pick my mojo, my guitar would most likely be schizophrenic, because I like everything from synthpop to prog.

EDIT: I was recently challenged to pick my favourite song from the 80s -- this isn't even half:
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL2fqb2nPKeiQERHMdekIXRmfp7wXNW4P4

Last edited:
Lollers, if I were able to pick the days my guitar was built, it would be to avoid disco. Not that I'm saying you should, I think it would be a good mojo match for you. Of course, if I got to pick my mojo, my guitar would most likely be schizophrenic, because I like everything from synthpop to prog.

I would imagine that exposure to disco in utero could enhance top end clarity in some models, but is it worth risks?

The good news is that they like the music that made us (and coincidentally was made before they were born). I don't know if you despised your parents' music as much as I did (50's RnR and "easy listening" (barf...)) but I'm glad I wasn't part of a lametastic generation of music.

I mean we could be on an accordion forum here if we had the simple misfortune of being born a couple of decades earlier FFS...

Most of the people in the non-private stock areas of the finish hall are between 25-35 years old (I'm 35), but we have some outliers that push the full range from 20-50. There were times when younger people thought that covers of these songs were the originals (Marylin Manson's Personal Jesus, for example) or only knew these songs from other media ranging from advertising to the the radio stations in GTA: Vice City. On the other hand, a 22yr old co-worker had seen REO Speedwagon, Styx and a few others live.

Just imagine what Private Stock could be doing to push the boundaries of accordion technology

\There were times when younger people thought that covers of these songs were the originals (Marylin Manson's Personal Jesus, for example) or only knew these songs from other media ranging from advertising to the the radio stations in GTA: Vice City. On the other hand, a 22yr old co-worker had seen REO Speedwagon, Styx and a few others live.

I've heard a lot of covers of 80's songs myself, many that I like better than the originals. I didn't realize Personal Jesus was a cover... Ooopsie! But then I was never even remotely into Depeche Mode.

Man, wouldn’t it be something if PRS could land someone like Nile with a hard tail version of the Mayer S-style?
Great documentary on BBC about Nile Rodgers recently, he claims the strat has been responsible for billions of $ in hit records. Would be so good to see him playing a PRS, he likes his semi-hollows too.

For J. Geils, you can pull out the live version of "Sanctuary" from the live album from the Freeze Frame tour, "Showtime!". It's a rip-roarer.
Dammit, now I need to listen to that whole album again.
Great documentary on BBC about Nile Rodgers recently, he claims the strat has been responsible for billions of $ in hit records. Would be so good to see him playing a PRS, he likes his semi-hollows too.
The Hitmaker? I'll have to watch that.

Travis and heather adding names to this week's list "90's".

IMG_6671.jpg

I loved the 90s...Curve...Garbage...Catherine Wheel...Stabbing Westward...Legendary Pink Dots...Tear Garden...Golden Palominos...Slowdive...My Bloody Valentine...

Last edited:
Just imagine what Private Stock could be doing to push the boundaries of accordion technology

Ahh. I see somebody HAD to bring up the accordion...... Paging Les Schefman for further comment... Paging Les Schefman......

Kevin

Back