Trapeze Tailpiece for my Mira!

Yam

Greetings Everybody!

I got an s2 semi-hollow Mira in vintage cherry coming next week straight from the factory (ahhhhhh) and I really want it to have a trapeze tailpiece to make it even more resonant and give it that vintage look I adore so bad.

I got some handy information so far:

It only takes me to drill two little holes near the strap button to install it and replace the wrap-around bridge with a tune-o-matic one.

My question:

I don't really know how to measure my guitar so i would know what specific Tailpiece and bridge I should get.

Can anybody suggest me a specific bridge and tailpiece that will fit the Mira's size?

Also, is it a must to replace the wrap-around bridge? Can't the string go over it as they come out of the tailpiece?

And if there's any information you guys think I should know about this process, let me know!

Thank you for your time! :)

I don’t see how it’d make it more resonant.. adding a few extra ounces of metal to the body might even have the opposite effect.

Regardless, I’m unaware of any aftermarket bridges that would have the same spacing as the wrap around. You could just go over the top like you’ve said. Otherwise you’ll need to plug the posts, redrill, and possibly do some finish work.

If you want a little more resonance, order a MannMade 2300. It adds a little something.

It's worth a try if it's what you want to do, but I would just go over the top of the existing bridge. Hopefully the string tension will keep it in place. In addition to all the things Sergio mentioned, TOM bridges are 12" radius, so you'd need to modify the saddles or something to get the action right. Plugging holes and re-drilling is not advisable. I tried that once. Next time I would go OVER THE TOP and so should you!

images

Why do I think this would be a truly bad idea, and would ruin an otherwise excellent guitar?

Back