Top colors don't match on Angelus se custom

Mark Ace

I am thinking about purchasing a new angelus se custom. I know they are discontinued but I can still get one through my dealer. He has two. My problem is I have seen at least 4 guitars that have two different colors on the spruce top and they don't match. I have even seen this problem in pictures on this forum and on the internet. Can anyone tell me if anyone has one with a matching top. I know this might sound petty to some but I don't think I can deal with this issue. My dealer had one with the same problem and he returned it to prs. I love this guitar and want the rosewood instead of the mahogany on the standard or the new AE 10. My dealer is having the guitar shipped to him and I would like some feedback before I ask him to order it. Help.!

You may have seen my new thread I posted in here yesterday.
I mention the same thing in my thread, and I am very picky, but it was not a deal breaker for me.

The guitar looks great and sounds even better.

I have seen the guitars in person. I am not referring to blotches or spots. The entire side is a few shades darker throughout they definitely did not book match the ones I have seen. I have seen the standard and this is not evident in the standard. I know it's not he light reflecting. I have seen it outside and in dimmer lighting. Looks like two different types of wood.

Last edited:
Corey. Yours looks fine but if you look at the picture in the previous post by Digeratti you will see what I mean. I'm going to have my dealer have both of the customs shipped and I'll pick one.

Can anyone tell me if anyone has one with a matching top.

I have a custom that matches .... if you hold it at the right angle with the light. The dark side will switch from left to right as you change the angle to the light source. In the photo you are just seeing the angle the guitar was at when the photo was taken. You are looking at the grain angle. The fact that they are book matched means they will be at different angles and that is why the darker side switches sides as you move the guitar around. Most any pine will show it if they haven't been stained or painted (natural):
419QrJYanhL._SS500_.jpg

430381000010000-00-750x750.jpg

fender-sonoran-s-acoustic-guitar-natural.jpg

DV020_Jpg_Jumbo_582169.010_natural_V.jpg

GA500+-+Dreadnought-Sized+Acoustic+with+Spruce+Top_1.jpg

If you can't live with it stick with solid bodies.

Wow. That's amazing. I guess some sort of optical illusion. Have never seen that on other natural guitars of other brands including my Seagull. I guess I'll make a decision when the two guitars come in. Thanks for showing me those pictures. That's why I love this forum. You guys are great. I'll let you know when they come in and post pictures.

The highest grades of Sitka, European and Adirondack spruce are more even when book matched (yes, tone woods actually are graded), but you'll be paying a much higher price for the privilege, too.

If that's important, and you don't simply want to depend on luck, time to get a lot more spendy! ;)

Back