Tool for adjusting stoptail poles?

Elliot

Gandalf the Vintage Yellow
just used a screwdriver to adjust mine and it raised the brass very slightly on the edges where the driver was exerting force. I normally don’t care about dings in my guitar but the notches in the pole face are really bugging me and I don’t want more. Is There a tool that PRS provides that runs the full length of the pole piece slot so I don’t do this again?

just used a screwdriver to adjust mine and it raised the brass very slightly on the edges where the driver was exerting force. I normally don’t care about dings in my guitar but the notches in the pole face are really bugging me and I don’t want more. Is There a tool that PRS provides that runs the full length of the pole piece slot so I don’t do this again?

I don't know if there is a tool, but I use a string action gauge from Stew Mac. I wrap some tape around it so it's a little thicker. Also, never with tension on the strings.

A trick I picked up at the factory is to use a metal jack plate. It fits the stud slots pretty nicely and isn't as prone to chewing up the slot as a screwdriver. You can buy them as part of the PRS Accessories "Hardware Kit." Metal jack plates from Stew Mac or another supplier might work too.

I agree about not doing it with the strings under tension.

I don't know if there is a tool, but I use a string action gauge from Stew Mac. I wrap some tape around it so it's a little thicker. Also, never with tension on the strings.
I use a thick steel rule turned long-ways...gives me more mechanical advantage without focusing the torque in 2 small places. Double underscore on the above bolded statement: loosen the strings or you risk this kind of damage.

I use a thick steel rule turned long-ways...gives me more mechanical advantage without focusing the torque in 2 small places. Double underscore on the above bolded statement: loosen the strings or you risk this kind of damage.
Solid advice here. What would one do for removing the small adjusting set screws ? Mine are rusted up pretty bad and completely seized

Something like this...a T-handle Allen wrench. Drench it in a releasing oil first. Tape and cover the guitar finish first.
Maybe if you can, remove it from the guitar first and apply “releasing oil”,as @Boogie says.

If it’s off the guitar, you maybe be able to place the bridge assembly into freeing oil to allow it to penetrate fully and thus hopefully preventing any screws snapping!

Best of luck. Hope this helps?

Worst case, drill out set screws and cut new threads. Send me the bridge and I'll do it.

Reactions: jxe
Back