Tonare Grand???

vchizzle

Zomb!e Nine, DFZ
Is it considered a jumbo body style? Kinda lies between a dread and a super jumbo size body? I really wanna put some time in on the acoustics in general and also compare them with other more common acoustic guitars to get a feel for where their sonic footprint lies. I really can't afford one but I still want to know.

I wouldn't consider the Tonare Grand to be a jumbo, but it might depend what other builder(s) you are using as a reference.
My Taylor jumbo and Norman dead are noticably larger physically. I find the tonare a comfortable size whereas the other tow I mentioned feel big.

Acoustically, I don't think the tonare suffers at all for its size. Mine is articulate enough that I've never really thought about how how loud it is. I did however note that it has exceptional dynamic response - by that I mean I can vary the volume through a wide range without losing the tonal characteristics.

Yeah, I was trying to figure out a classification. Dreads seem to be around 15 5/8"-16" at lower bout, super jumbo 16 1/2ish? I couldn't find spec measurement on the Tonare other than 16" which I'm just guessing is a lower bout measurement. Just tryin to venture a guess as to where it falls in body size. I've always loved the big sound of jumbos.

Edit: just measured my Larrivee D-03 walnut which is 16"....the Tonare Grand just appears to be a bigger bodied guitar, but maybe not so much?

Last edited:
It's similar to the Collings SJ in size. A little smaller than a traditional jumbo.

Collings' "Small Jumbo" is patterned from a 50s Gibson acoustic. I'm sure it's a little different in dimensions from the Tonare, but not that much. What I can say, having owned both, is that the PRS has more complex and gorgeous overtones than the Collings, and is wonderfully responsive. It's like driving a Ferrari as compared to a family sedan. And this is meant as no offense to the Collings, which is one of the very finest acoustic guitars I've ever owned.

The Tonare is so great that I've started the process to get a private stock version, something I once said I'd NEVER do! LOL.

It's similar to the Collings SJ in size. A little smaller than a traditional jumbo.

Collings' "Small Jumbo" is patterned from a 50s Gibson acoustic. I'm sure it's a little different in dimensions from the Tonare, but not that much. What I can say, having owned both, is that the PRS has more complex and gorgeous overtones than the Collings, and is wonderfully responsive. It's like driving a Ferrari as compared to a family sedan. And this is meant as no offense to the Collings, which is one of the very finest acoustic guitars I've ever owned.

The Tonare is so great that I've started the process to get a private stock version, something I once said I'd NEVER do! LOL.

Thanks Schef. I bet that maple is gonna sound sweet! It sounds excellent here:

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks Schef. I bet that maple is gonna sound sweet! It sounds excellent here:

Yeah, it does sound really great!

It'll be a wonderful instrument. Of course, every time I see a picture or video of one, I think, "Gee, maybe I should have ordered THAT color, etc."

But gonna stay the course.

Back