To DGT without playing one first?

( . )( . )

I have a 97 CE 24 with HFS/VB pups and an 01 McCarty standard with Mc pups. I love both guitars, which are obviously very different animals.

I’ve been having some serious GAS for a DGT, but I can’t find one to play anywhere. I think the neck shape would be comfortable for me, as I like both the WT and McCarty necks, and the control layout will be fine, as I’m used to my LP. I’ve listened to a lot of clips, and really like the tones from the DGT.

My concern is the larger fretwire. I’m fine with 11s if they really play like 10s on these guitars, but I just don’t know how I’ll feel about the larger frets. I’ve had plenty of guitars in the past with jumbo frets, and I prefer smaller frets in general.

If I could just play one, it’d make things much simpler, but, since they cost 2K minimum, I’m not comfortable buying by reputation. So, can you guys/gals give me some insight and advice?

Thanks...

Who doesn't love jumbo frets? Get outta here!!!

Nah, I kid. What is it about the DGT that draws you to it?

You could save a few bucks on one that needs some fret work, and just have the frets taken down a bit when you have it done. If you don't mind them still being a little wide.

Edit: I like your username. A few choice punctuation marks that paint a vivid picture.

Of a guy's eyes intently browsing a thread on the PRS forum. The eyes.

^ Basically everything draws me to it. I love the fact that it’s a modified McTrem, with a slightly thinner neck. I love that I can get it in a goldtop with moons (sorry - not a bird guy). From what I’ve read/heard online, I think I’ll be really happy with the pups/control layout. I think I’ll be fine with the frets (good idea about having them lowered btw), but I have never played one. That said, I’ve never really played a PRS core that I didn’t like...

Thanks about the username - yup - the eyes...

I'd say go for it. I have a DGT that I got about 3 years ago. After that, I fell in love with the 594, and then fell really hard for all things Santana. I've thought more than once about moving that DGT, then I touch it again and realize what a special guitar it is. Sure, it's strung with 11s and my fingers prefer 9s. They sure don't feel like 11s though, and I get along ok with them. Yeah, the frets are jumbo, but they're better than the tiny little things on my '89 Strat. Honestly, I don't mind the jumbos. Maybe they take a little getting used to, but I don't really seem to notice. If they really bugged me, I take it to a trusted luthier and have them doctored to something I preferred more.

I'd say go for it. I have a DGT that I got about 3 years ago. After that, I fell in love with the 594, and then fell really hard for all things Santana. I've thought more than once about moving that DGT, then I touch it again and realize what a special guitar it is. Sure, it's strung with 11s and my fingers prefer 9s. They sure don't feel like 11s though, and I get along ok with them. Yeah, the frets are jumbo, but they're better than the tiny little things on my '89 Strat. Honestly, I don't mind the jumbos. Maybe they take a little getting used to, but I don't really seem to notice. If they really bugged me, I take it to a trusted luthier and have them doctored to something I preferred more.

I think I really can’t go wrong - it’s just a lot of coin to drop on something I can’t get my hands on...

I put 10s on my new to me DGT I can't really feel that big a difference in the frets when comparing to my other PRS
I do like the neck shape kind of a cross between a WF and a standard IMHO

Put 9's on the Santana and the DGT and reach sonic and tactual bliss.... I have.

Sorry, not familiar with luthiery, but can't you just grind the frets down if you don't like 'em? Or "...have them ground down..."? (I'm not sure about the correct terminology.) But that will only fix the height, not if they're too wide, then you'd need a complete refret job.

Personally, ever since my Parkers, I love jumbo frets. Taught me to be consistent in my finger pressure.

Sorry, not familiar with luthiery, but can't you just grind the frets down if you don't like 'em? Or "...have them ground down..."? (I'm not sure about the correct terminology.) But that will only fix the height, not if they're too wide, then you'd need a complete refret job.

Personally, ever since my Parkers, I love jumbo frets. Taught me to be consistent in my finger pressure.

I gotta say it's possible. The 594 frets are supposed to be "worn jumbos." There's gotta be some ju ju going on there.

Not to encourage...who am I kidding, of course I’m encouraging...but there are two exact versions on Reverb you mentioned: gold top with moons. One is new and one is used. :D

Not to encourage...who am I kidding, of course I’m encouraging...but there are two exact versions on Reverb you mentioned: gold top with moons. One is new and one is used. :D

Yup - both are on my watchlist...but the problem is that I like the $3200 2017 a lot more than the $2000 2011...

I back up Dave's comment about resale. The DGT is still very popular and if you give it a try, you might be among those numbers. I played one for over 3 hours last night and I’m not tired today (the SE One got the other hour of love). A second one would be a welcome addition here at Chez Boogie.

Yup - both are on my watchlist...but the problem is that I like the $3200 2017 a lot more than the $2000 2011...

Why, that isn’t a problem. It’s an opportunity — to demonstrate your noblesse oblige and grace under pressure!

Yeah. DG put a lot of thought into that guitar. It's a unique guitar, with well thought-out functionality for the working musician (specifically DG himself), you'll probably end up keeping it. I can see why you zeroed in on it from the start.

Back