To Bigsby or not?

you'd ruin a guitar for an awful tremolo.

I'm sure you see the overwhelming voice of caution in the replies on your thread, and let's face it, it'll add weight to the gtr, take a lot of modding, and looks kinda like a plumbing fixture. Besides, with the right technique you can emulate that type of wiggle from any trem.

I disagree, I think the Bigsby has a distinctive and pleasing sound.

Definitely better than a Floyd Rose, IMHO.

That said, I still agree with, “buy a guitar with one “. I would only trust a really good luthier to install one post-facto, in this case, the PTC.

While I wouldn't mod the guitar by adding a Bigsby, I do like/own guitars that come with a Bigsby. There is something about a Bigsby that makes the sound very different as compared to a traditional fixed bridge. Adding a roller bridge on my guitars that have a Bigsby, made a nice improvement in tuning stability, and range of motion. With the roller bridge, I enjoy using the vibrato a lot more.

Last edited:
If the Starla I had worked like this one I would still have it.
It sounded killer but the tuning was always a pain even with locking tuners, roller bridge , nut sauce an all the goodies

Scored an 08 Starla (core). Of the many, I play it the most I'd say. Super versatile. Love the Bigsby. Installed graph tech locking tuners and I can't believe how well it stays in tune. Game changer.

Interesting thread because I'm reading a big book about Bigsby right now called: The Story of Paul Bigsby - Father of the Modern Electric Solid Body Guitar.

Paul Bigsby felt that he created the Fender Strat peghead shape and that his ideas had been adopted by Leo Fender without giving Bigsby any credit. It ruined their once close friendship.

It's a good read and has lots of pictures of Paul's beautiful, but sometimes wacky looking guitars made in the 1940's before anyone else was doing it.

Lots of photos and history about the development of the various Bigsby vibrato designs too.,

Last edited:
Interesting thread because I'm reading a big book about Bigsby right now called: The Story of Paul Bigsby - Father of the Modern Electric Solid Body Guitar.

Paul Bigsby felt that he created the Fender Strat peghead shape and that his ideas had been adopted by Leo Fender without giving Bigsby any credit. It ruined their once close friendship.

It's a good read and has lots of pictures of Paul's beautiful, but sometimes wacky looking guitars made in the 1940's before anyone else was doing it.

Lots of photos and history about the development of the various Bigsby vibrato designs too.,

Very cool. I'm going check that out. I was never a big user of a tremolo arm but since the Starla (Bigsby), I use it more and more on my Santana and DGT as well. I ended up on this thread because I was thinking of trying to add a Bigsby to my 594 but....no no. Not messing w it.

Very cool. I'm going check that out. I was never a big user of a tremolo arm but since the Starla (Bigsby), I use it more and more on my Santana and DGT as well. I ended up on this thread because I was thinking of trying to add a Bigsby to my 594 but....no no. Not messing w it.
The color photos are absolutely gorgeous! Many of the pages fold out to three pages wide. You'll like it.

And it left no doubt in my mind about who came up with pretty much the exact shape of that iconic head stock first.

Right down to the Kluson tuners!

Back