Time to make a final (not easy)choice between standard 22 and a limited standard wood library 24

I don't love black guitars, but that 24 looks amazing. Do it. If you play them, they're going to get beauty marks.

Thanks for the link Garrett.
Reynewan: I don’t see anything that would keep me from going for it - sweet dreams.

LOL:D There is something very true about it :) One of them is going to be mine. Gollums PRS-Dream: Mine, all mine...:);)

To me the 24 looks more unique, looks like it has nicer birds, a trem, all the newer PRS updates on the hardware, etc...
Ebony will not have any CITES restrictions, so both the Japanese Store and you will not have any issues with the transaction.
Given that it is a WL guitar I would guess that the woods are also more carefully selected. Since looks are not important for this guitar I would guess they chose them based on what they believed would sound better.
I am also partial to the HFS/VB pickups especially for heavier sounds.
My 2p and all that...

Yes, I prefer the 24 Fret standard, but could you see the traces/scratches on that one on the pictures?

As others said can't see the pics. Black could look worse than it is. As you look at the pics, do you think that these could be polished or not?

OP I happen to like 22 fret guitars but that 22 fret Standard is damn near perfect! What a sick looking rock making machine! It looks like a McCarty I saw at Music Zoo but better...lol

Yeahh, especially when you like to play harder stuff as well. The 22 standard looks pretty simple and raw, when you compare her to other PRS-Beauties.
But at the same time, in my opinion, there is something devilish about her..:cool: Like a Black Widow Spider or Devils Daughter.:D :cool: Damn, I dream too much these days.

As others said can't see the pics. Black could look worse than it is. As you look at the pics, do you think that these could be polished or not?

Frustratingly I cannot upload the pictures from the Merchant, which Ive got from him. On those there are minor scratches on the front plate. But it´s hard to see whether the guitar was correctly polished.

I guess I need something like Imgur.

Last edited:
To me the 24 looks more unique, looks like it has nicer birds, a trem, all the newer PRS updates on the hardware, etc...
Ebony will not have any CITES restrictions, so both the Japanese Store and you will not have any issues with the transaction.
Given that it is a WL guitar I would guess that the woods are also more carefully selected. Since looks are not important for this guitar I would guess they chose them based on what they believed would sound better.
I am also partial to the HFS/VB pickups especially for heavier sounds.
My 2p and all that...

Your thoughts are exactly mine here. I could also save some money with the HFS, because the 22 Standard has the the Dragon II pickups, which I would have to replace by buying different ones from PRS. The HFS are a good solution, cause I have a S2 SC 250 Singlecut standard modded with the PRS M Metal pickups, which I could swap into the 24 standard and those US-HFS pickups into the S2 as an possible additional option to try some different heavy sounds on different guitars.

Last edited:
Well, I hope that really, because Ive received a 12 page wood list from the european enviromental authorities. Very challenging. Ebony is luckilly excluded from CITES restrictions,
but there is a one exceptional case... Namely: The Madagaskar Ebony. Hope it is not in that guitar.:( Thank you for you thoughts on that Jazzedout.

Last edited:
The HFS are a good solution, cause I have a S2 SC 250 Singlecut standard modded with the PRS M Metal pickups, which I could swap into the 24 standard and those US-HFS pickups into the S2.

Sounds like a plan to me, although I believe you might just leave the HFS in the Std 24... ;) I love mine...

Sounds like a plan to me, although I believe you might just leave the HFS in the Std 24... ;) I love mine...

Just look a bit up on my previous comment, Ive edited it, 10 seconds before:). Its only an possible option. But Ive heard and read a lot of good things about the HFS Pickups for creating harder sounds.

How about lower tunings like D-standard or normal C. Does it work as well with the HFS pickups?

How about lower tunings like D-standard or normal C. Does it work as well with the HFS pickups?
I use a 7 string for lower tunings, but I have tuned my Custom 24 to dropped D, E flat and then dropped D flat for some tunes and they sounded great!
I will tell you that my 2 favourite (hotter) pickups are the HFS and the DiMarzio Tone Zone, so you can understand my preferences a little more.

I use a 7 string for lower tunings, but I have tuned my Custom 24 to dropped D, E flat and then dropped D flat for some tunes and they sounded great!
I will tell you that my 2 favourite (hotter) pickups are the HFS and the DiMarzio Tone Zone, so you can understand my preferences a little more.

Cool soundsetting. Have you ever considered to try a PRS SE-Baritone?

Not really, most of my playing nowadays is in standard tuning.
I have my old Ibanez 7s when I want something lower for a change.
I never found a comfortable playing position for my left hand with longer necks.

Not really, most of my playing nowadays is in standard tuning.
I have my old Ibanez 7s when I want something lower for a change.
I never found a comfortable playing position for my left hand with longer necks.

Ok., now I get it the old Ibanez Steve Vai 7 string style . I am considering buying a PRS-Baritone one day maybe, but playing with strings thicker than 11gauge feels like ice picking for my fingers..:eek:

The 22 Standard from 2008.

prs-usa-standard-22-stoptail-black-birds-18.jpg
I have been eyeing this one for a while - if it had a trem I would have bought it already. Love the black on this one.

There’s no mileage in complete strangers telling you what guitar to buy.

The guitars are different. Buy what appeals to you; you’ll do that no matter what we suggest.

HFS sounds best in standards IMO. D or C? Even better!
Your heart seems to lie with the 24. I wouldn’t worry about minor scratches, black guitars are impossible to keep looking perfect unless you’re just gonna hang it on a wall and stare at it. That’s not nearly as fun as playing it though.

One thing I’ll add is that since it’s charcoal, it may look more brown than what it does in the pictures. Especially in brighter light.

Back