Time to make a final (not easy)choice between standard 22 and a limited standard wood library 24

Reynewan

Hello,

After spending many hours contacting the Merchants, Duty and enviromental Authorities,
I have to decide between two Core standards. There are several Pro´s an Cons, and maybe some
of the expierienced Forum Folks can help me a bit to face decision.
After Calculation of all Costs including shipping, taxes and so on both guitarshave nearly the same price about 2600 US-Dollar. Its still a fair price here in Europe for US-Instruments.
The first one is a renewed 22 Standard from 2008 in Europe. The condition is excellent.

But owning already a 24 Custom Mc Carty and a 22 Singlecut , I generally prefer more the 24 Fretboard.
The second Con on the 22 Standard are the Pickups. Those are Dragon II, which are in my opinion gently said not the best in the PRS-Pickup Family.
That means, that I would definitely want to rechange them for other PRS Core Pickups or BKP´s. Including the fixture here in Europe it means
additional costs about 400-600 USD for me.
The 24 Standard is a limited wood library from 2014 from Japan. It has HFS Pick ups, which seem a good deal for me, cause I like to play a lot of aggressive Rock and Metal stuff.
The Con here is: On my request the Merchant has send me some photos.

According to him: "The scratch was not noticeable and it was difficult to take a picture.Because it is a dark color, it is actually inconspicuous."
Well, I thought I would post some pictures of boh Guitars. The 22 is surely photoshopped but the 24. I dont know..Just make your own opinion on the pictures.
Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

Last edited:
The 22 Standard from 2008.

prs-usa-standard-22-stoptail-black-birds-18.jpg

24WL pics not loading for me...but if it has any type of figure in the top, (and being blue would seal the deal) I'd go with that. That's my $0.02

Yes, I prefer the 24 Fret standard, but could you see the traces/scratches on that one on the pictures?

I couldn’t see the pictures at all.
If I didn’t like the state of the finish, I would wait until I found another guitar with similar specs.

I would do that as you suggest, but the problem is that the standards (especially in Europe)are extremely rare. I´ll try to post the pictures again.

I couldn’t see the pictures at all.
If I didn’t like the state of the finish, I would wait until I found another guitar with similar specs.

I would do that as you suggest, but the problem is that the standards (especially in Europe)are extremely rare. I´ll try to post the pictures again.

It's a Wood Library Standard 24 with ebony board which is rare, full stop.

The pic links are still broken. You need to host them online on a site like imgur, and when you post the pic, make sure the URL ends in a graphics file extension like jpg, png, etc.

Here's the Reverb listing for reference.
https://reverb.com/item/10580373-paul-reed-smith-prs-2014-wood-library-kid-limited-standard-24

Black is an unforgiving color. It reflects every little scratch or scuff much more than other colors do. It will sure collect more marks if you get it.

It's a Wood Library Standard 24 with ebony board which is rare, full stop.

The pic links are still broken. You need to host them online on a site like imgur, and when you post the pic, make sure the URL ends in a graphics file extension like jpg, png, etc.

Here's the Reverb listing for reference.
https://reverb.com/item/10580373-paul-reed-smith-prs-2014-wood-library-kid-limited-standard-24

Black is an unforgiving color. It reflects every little scratch or scuff much more than other colors do. It will sure collect more marks if you get it.

Thank You Garret and thanks to the other guys. Frustratingly and strangely I cannot upload the pictures the Merchant has sent me. I think that the reference pictures from reverb are from the same guitar. From those he has send, it seems like there are 3 little scratches on the frontplate.. Annoying but on the other hand I havent found any other PRS-guitar from this type and I did a massive search. Besides this, sometimes I buy a guitar with minor scratches as long as the neck and electronics are in excellent condition, because we have generally such horrid big prices in Europe for US-Instruments like PRS and Gibson. For example: Ive got my S2 Singlecut with very few minor scratches for the half of the price I would pay normally. Ive saved over 1000 USD on that one. So I have to sleep over it one night.

OP I happen to like 22 fret guitars but that 22 fret Standard is damn near perfect! What a sick looking rock making machine! It looks like a McCarty I saw at Music Zoo but better...lol

Back