This is pretty cool: Vernon Reid Signature S2 VR Vela

Ya know, a Floyd Rose-equipped guitar was my dream guitar when I first started playing in the early 80s. I couldn't afford a FR, so I slapped a Shift 2000 on a Flying V knock off by El Degas (not a bad guitar, actually, has DiMarzios for pups that just scream! Too bad the body is basically plywood).

But now that I have found the stability of the PRS trem, that's all I want. I see no point in all that other stuff. Yeah, it might be the slightest bit better at staying in tune after dive-bomb abuse, but I got over that "style" decades ago, although I still love to play Sorrow by Pink Floyd - that intro (and live outro) has awesomely deep dives...

Very cool! the neck may be a deal breaker for me, like to see a thinner neck option in all the S2 guitar.
I have several S2's love them, just wish the back of the necks where flatter.

I have to laugh at this. I'm no fan of Vernon Reids tone. I really don't think he has tone, now that you mention it. But, some of the best tones ever put the record were with floyds, high gain, effects, 9 Ga strings, and any other number of things that make a lot of you guys go running to mommy. Go tell Eddie Van Halen that his tone sucks, or Steve Vai, or Satch, or Alex Lifeson, or Petrucci, or whoever. I guess the key to making millions in music is crappy tone, because any one of those guys has more money than most of us can ever dream of having.
Never was a fan of EVH or Vai and I tried to listen to Dream Theater...once, for like 5 minutes. Nope. Can't stand those whammy bar horse squeal "tones" or players drenched in gain. I do like Rush, I'll take Lifeson on his 335 anyday. Choices.

Nice guitar, not for me. As far as VR goes, I really like his playing especially live. I sa them in the late 80's and it was like being kicked in the gonads as compared to the music of the time.

Living Colour are so good live! I saw them at the Anaheim House of Blues by pure happenstance and they blew the place away. I didn't realize how many Corey Glover fans are out there.

Never was a fan of EVH or Vai and I tried to listen to Dream Theater...once, for like 5 minutes. Nope. Can't stand those whammy bar horse squeal "tones" or players drenched in gain. I do like Rush, I'll take Lifeson on his 335 anyday. Choices.

It's like, sometimes I don't even know who you are! :eek::eek::eek:

:D

You just contradicted yourself. 2112 was considered a "metal" album. Lifeson was not shy about cranking the gain to max on whatever amp he used. But, I guess that's ok when he is using a 335/339 versus something made out of basswood with a floyd on it? People can like what they like. But, its silly to dismiss revered musicians just because they may have a Floyd on their guitar and use it. Heck, I don't like David Grissoms music, but I'll be the first one to compliment the sounds he gets out of his guitars.

You just contradicted yourself. 2112 was considered a "metal" album. Lifeson was not shy about cranking the gain to max on whatever amp he used. But, I guess that's ok when he is using a 335/339 versus something made out of basswood with a floyd on it? People can like what they like. But, its silly to dismiss revered musicians just because they may have a Floyd on their guitar and use it. Heck, I don't like David Grissoms music, but I'll be the first one to compliment the sounds he gets out of his guitars.
Dude, I like Clapton, Mayer, Knopfler, Gill and Scofield. I don't like metal, or Floyd rose stuff, ok ?!
For Rush, I like Permanent Waves and newer, hth.

Dude, I like Clapton, Mayer, Knopfler, Gill and Scofield. I don't like metal, or Floyd rose stuff, ok ?!
For Rush, I like Permanent Waves and newer, hth.

This discussion isn't about what you like and dont like for musical styles. Who cares about that. You basically said that tone is last on someones priority list that uses gain, floyd, etc. That pretty much insults anyone here who loves gain and floyds. Then you go and contradict yourself by saying you like Alex Lifeson. Ok.. well, Alex has always used lots of gain from the first Rush album and everything since. Like what you like, but don't say a gainy tone is crap and then say you like a players sound who uses tons of it and always has lol. You just seem like a closed minded person. There is nothing evil about a floyded guitar into a Mesa Boogie. If you get by shallow prejudices, then you appreciate what those players are trying to speak with their music. That is all.

This discussion isn't about what you like and dont like for musical styles. Who cares about that. You basically said that tone is last on someones priority list that uses gain, floyd, etc. That pretty much insults anyone here who loves gain and floyds. Then you go and contradict yourself by saying you like Alex Lifeson. Ok.. well, Alex has always used lots of gain from the first Rush album and everything since. Like what you like, but don't say a gainy tone is crap and then say you like a players sound who uses tons of it and always has lol. You just seem like a closed minded person. There is nothing evil about a floyded guitar into a Mesa Boogie. If you get by shallow prejudices, then you appreciate what those players are trying to speak with their music. That is all.
Ignore me, I'll ignore you. Deal?

Can't we all just get a tone? I LOVE RUSH! Them and Van Halen were my favorite bands for MANY years. But, as you may have guessed by my screen name, I LOVE Dream Theater... and Yes, and Genesis and Megadeth and Black Sabbath and Chicago and Steely Dan and Ozzie and Boston and Led Zeppelin and Jeff Beck and Circus Maximus and Kansas and Hendrix and Trower and DiMeola and Holdsworth and.....

That's why modeling has always interested me. I love all kinds of great tones. I like 70s rock and metal and prog, 80s rock, metal and prog, ... the 90s... well I love AIC, but not grunge in general. And thank GOD that by the 90s Dream Theater had come along.

My point is, there are all kinds of great tones. I don't love one and diss the others. Great tone is great tone no matter what level of gain or effects it has. If you don't think Vai or Eddie or JP has great tone... then Dave Mason on you! (That's the new PRS forum catch phrase I coined for "We Just Disagree" LOL )

IF TONE WAS AN AGREEMENT, THEN YOU ALL WOULD ONLY WISH TO OWN ONE (THE SAME) PAUL REED SMITH GUITAR, AMP AND RIG. NIGHTMARE.

AND RUSH RULES.

I like Kool, but not the Gang. Sorry man, we had a good run. I'm ignoring you! :p

I also like Earth and Wind, but not Fire. Fire burns, people! Geez! Had a good thing going with Earth and Wind, and couldn't leave well enough alone. Just hadta throw stinking, destructive, smokey Fire in there. :rolleyes:

Back