This has to be a "homemade" pickguard?

To each his own. But, I'm not digging it. Maybe another color. The "cracks" are more concerning. Hopefully, they're just finish cracks.

Logical guitar building would beg the question, why would the controls be rear routed and there be a pick guard?

As most electric guitars that have a pick guard for the pups/pots/switch to be attached to it with, I would guess that this is after-market.

Just a gamble for the person buying it, as “What lies beneath?”

My guess is it got smashed. Remember that one Design on a Dimebag guitar that Sergio had? The volume and tone pots (I think) had been hit from the front hard enough to make them crack through the wood, smashed into the guitar's control cavity. He filled his with epoxy, sanded it flat and then painted it? Or was that one of the Gucci top guitars? Gah, I'm too lazy to go look. Anyway, same thing likely happened here. Someone just made a pickguard to cover the damage.

I feel bad for anyone who buys that thing. I mean, maybe it would be worth $200? But for the asking price you could get a good used S2.

My guess is it got smashed. Remember that one Design on a Dimebag guitar that Sergio had? The volume and tone pots (I think) had been hit from the front hard enough to make them crack through the wood, smashed into the guitar's control cavity. He filled his with epoxy, sanded it flat and then painted it? Or was that one of the Gucci top guitars? Gah, I'm too lazy to go look. Anyway, same thing likely happened here. Someone just made a pickguard to cover the damage.

I feel bad for anyone who buys that thing. I mean, maybe it would be worth $200? But for the asking price you could get a good used S2.

That’s entirely possible. The guitar you’re referring to also had/has some finish cracks that appeared in the rather thick base coat but didn’t extend to the wood like this one.

Even if it isn’t damaged, I find it ridiculous that someone who modified a guitar this drastically thinks they’ve added any sort of value to it that they can change for. I know when I’m doing my mods that I’ve basically got a guitar for life... I mean, who’s gonna pay full price or extra for any of it?

That’s entirely possible. The guitar you’re referring to also had/has some finish cracks that appeared in the rather thick base coat but didn’t extend to the wood like this one.

Even if it isn’t damaged, I find it ridiculous that someone who modified a guitar this drastically thinks they’ve added any sort of value to it that they can change for. I know when I’m doing my mods that I’ve basically got a guitar for life... I mean, who’s gonna pay full price or extra for any of it?

I'd pay extra for that green tint gold foil CE

Back