Thinking about swapping bridge pup

Tim Jones

Greetings, I've been thinking about changing the bridge pickup on one of my CE 24s. I have two 2017 Ce's. The one I'm considering the swap on is a Reclaimed model with a John Mann bridge installed, both guitars sound similar but the Reclaimed is a bit brighter. It's also my favorite and I play it more often. Over all I like the tones especially with the coil split, nice punchy blues tone. I play a lot of clean blues with ample reverb. When I do play distorted rock with the HB I would like more attack, more crunch I guess you'd call it. Has anyone one had any experience with the Bare Knuckles Rebel Yell pickup? If so how do you like it? I would wire it up with the existing switch gear and coil split.

I had a Cu24 IRW w 59/09s that I switched to BKP Rebel Yells. Great pickups! I have a Crawler/Emerald combo in my current Cu24, with a maple neck that I love. This guitar was super-bright with the 57/08s it came with and with the Crawler bridge, it’s now smooth, and modern in the mids.

The RY’s may still be a little bright, but just a real great, in your face rock pup. Output-wise they’re maybe a bit north of 59/09, but not crazy hot. I’m blanking at the moment as to which on woods are on the RL CE-24’s.

All of the BKP’s I’ve tried have remarkable clarity, no matter how hot you want them. (Granted I’ve stayed in alnico territory, away from the crazy hot ceramic pups they offer). There’s actually a great forum on their site for “fans” to help make recommendations, and the main customer service guy will make a recommendation based on what you’re looking for. Def a step above Dimarzio, SD IMHO.

Back