Thinking about a Studio

elvis

Hamfisted String Banger
I've been looking at the Studio model with the bridge humbucker and two narrowfields for Andy Timmons sort of stuff.

Would you guys recommend that model? Any non-obvious plusses or minuses I might want to know about?

I've never owned a studio, but I've had/have the narrowfield pups in 3 prs's, and have the 57/08's in my singlecut, and both pups are outstanding! I highly doubt you would be unhappy.

I picked up a '12 or '13 Studio a few months back, not sure why, I guess it was an irresistible deal. Despite that I've had a good vibe with it since day 1, now I use it all the time.

- 57/08 bridge is awesome untapped, love those pickups
- don't much like the tapped-position 57/08 but YMMV
- narrowfields are awesome in all positions
- just a really versatile axe

Only thing that is a bit weird is the pickups are kinda crammed in so there's not a ton of air between each one, so depending on how you use a pick (or fingers) you might find yourself tapping a pickup with your pick. I've adjusted and now tend to play the gap between the humbucker and the middle narrowfield, no biggie.

Pretty unique guitar.

I have a small collection of swamp ash PRS guitars. Including the Experience custom 24 guitar.
Bonnie Pink and the Mary Kaye type/white wash guitars (on each end) are mahogany/maple. All the others are swamp ash.

The regular studio, mahogany/maple/ narrowfields/humbucker, is a good guitar. However, to my ear, it sounds blah compared to the swamp ash versions. I had one but sent it back as it wasn't for me.

image11_zps1w5eymgt.jpg

Can't comment on the Timmons end of it, but studios are sweet and NF's are very cool pickups. I'd do it.

Thanks, this really got me thinking. I have never seen a SAS with a bridge HB and two NFs, other than Bluesverb's pics. Do these exist, or are they all custom orders/mods?

Thanks, this really got me thinking. I have never seen a SAS with a bridge HB and two NFs, other than Bluesverb's pics. Do these exist, or are they all custom orders/mods?
They exist & pop up for sale occasionally. Never saw one pop up at a price I felt was a good deal though.

There have been some limited runs with the dirt birds. The nitro finished neck with the V12 finished body was a good idea that I borrowed for my Private Stock.
IMG_0607.jpg
IMG_0590.jpg
IMG_0628.jpg
IMG_0580.jpg

Last edited:
@Bluesverb - wow! Looks like you own a few of the 2012 PRS Studio Multi-Foils. If I read this correctly only 40 were made - http://www.prsguitars.com/index.php...rs_2012_swamp_ash_studio_multi_foil_limited_r. Here is also a link to a thread of mine where I chose not to bid on one in metallic green - http://forums.prsguitars.com/thread...is-slip-through-my-fingers.22176/#post-317224. Any chance that is the one I now see in your photo?

@elvis - I googled Swamp Ash Studios quite a lot in the past and still occasionally do - they do pop up on reverb from time to time and sometimes on eBay as well. Prices were always reasonable compared to other PRS guitars.

I've wanted a SAS since the day they came out. I ended up with a NF3. That guitar is BY FAR the least "boutiquie" looking of my PRS guitars. It's also one of the greatest guitars I've ever played. The pickups are spectacular. The satin maple Pattern Regular neck is THE BEST NECK EVER! This guitar can do clean to blues to hard rock to all out metal. NO PROBLEM!

That said, I'd still love to own a SAS some day, and that red one with maple above makes my little heart flutter... and, as much as I LOVE my 57/08s... I might be temped to swap the bridge for a 59/09. Or maybe get all old guy metal and put an \M/ in there... guess it depends on what you wanted to do with it. That guitar and a nice three channel amp could cover any gig. NF3 certainly could.

I've wanted a SAS since the day they came out. I ended up with a NF3. That guitar is BY FAR the least "boutiquie" looking of my PRS guitars. It's also one of the greatest guitars I've ever played. The pickups are spectacular. The satin maple Pattern Regular neck is THE BEST NECK EVER! This guitar can do clean to blues to hard rock to all out metal. NO PROBLEM!

That said, I'd still love to own a SAS some day, and that red one with maple above makes my little heart flutter... and, as much as I LOVE my 57/08s... I might be temped to swap the bridge for a 59/09. Or maybe get all old guy metal and put an \M/ in there... guess it depends on what you wanted to do with it. That guitar and a nice three channel amp could cover any gig. NF3 certainly could.

One of these days, I need to check on out. I've always loved the SAS, but never took plunge. NF3 would be a great choice too. For now, I'll go all "old guy metal" and figure out what to put a set of \m/'s in.

One of these days, I need to check on out. I've always loved the SAS, but never took plunge. NF3 would be a great choice too. For now, I'll go all "old guy metal" and figure out what to put a set of \m/'s in.

Yeah baby! Let me know when you do. I"m really interested in those. I have a 97 C22 and I've considered replacing the VB and HFS with some \M/ 's Need to let my hair grow out some first though. I want to be prepared for old guy metal. You can't let that sneak up on you!

p.s. I've always thought a SAS would be killer with an \M/ in the bridge... it should mate will with the NF pickups. At least compared to other HSS models. I think the NF's would hold their own much better with a hot bridge pickup than most of the HSS models with other brand pickups... IMHO

Back