The utter futility of collection thining

This is what my last motorcycle gave me as a parting gift...my advice...buy more PRSi! ;)

6RtuKsc.jpg
GjkPSj4.jpg

Oooh. Pretty!!!!

My last bike gave me 5 screws and a plate in my leg along with a permanent hole in my right scapula. Something went wrong at a trackday....... This is after snapping every rib on my right side near the spine. Broke them all off. I was "a little sore" for a few days after that. The nurses in the trauma ward were not amused.

I miss it horribly, and will get another one.

WTF?!!???

Well, my stand by answer is...if you're familliar with the Six-Million Dollar Man from 70s TV. I requested Dr. Oscar Goldman...instead, I got Dr. Hold My Beer...instead of bionic parts, superpowers and being made bigger, faster, stronger. I got some scrap metal , duct tape and was made smaller, slower, weaker...bonus* I get to go to my own special room at the airport everytime I fly now... So there's that...

Oooh. Pretty!!!!

My last bike gave me 5 screws and a plate in my leg along with a permanent hole in my right scapula. Something went wrong at a trackday....... This is after snapping every rib on my right side near the spine. Broke them all off. I was "a little sore" for a few days after that. The nurses in the trauma ward were not amused.

I .feel your pain bro..I was pretty well hosed from the L4 down (can't post those x-rays, very clear shot of my junk) as well as as a broken pelvis, 6 ribs a punctured lung and a fractured sternum. Yeah, that was pleasant... as long as I didn't breathe or anything crazy like that. I'd been riding almost 40 years, competitively for most of them and I managed a dealership for 20, so I knew the odds were not in my favor.

Unfortunately, I was on the street about a mile from my house and this stupid...a-hem...lady thought it was just a great idea to text while pulling out into oncoming...ME:mad:. I had to lay the bike down to avoid tattooing myself on the side of her car. I slid into a curbed median and had a high side get off...that tossed me 46 feet into incoming traffic. My head, shoulder/humerus and right hip took the brunt of the impact. I'm thankful to still be alive (most days), I have no (new) brain damage (thanks Arai Helmets) I can walk (with a limp) and I still have all my appendages...(kinda):confused:

I miss it too man...it never gets outta your blood! I just can't ride anynmore because of the injuries ( plus the ones the redhead I'm married to would cause) the bright side is... I have all the time I need to devote to my new found passions....being a smarta$$ (okay that's not new) and PRS induced GAS!

Last edited:
Man that’s like some modern day urban William Wallace Braveheart sh!t man!

Man that’s like some modern day urban William Wallace Braveheart sh!t man!

Yup, I shoulda painted my face blue, weilded a big a$$ sword and lead and uprising against the Evil Queen Soccer Mom Longshanks of Distracted Drivers.

FREEEEEEDOOOOOM!!!!

I .feel your pain bro..I was pretty well hosed from the L4 down (can't post those x-rays, very clear shot of my junk) as well as as a broken pelvis, 6 ribs a punctured lung and a fractured sternum. Yeah, that was pleasant... as long as I didn't breathe or anything crazy like that. I'd been riding almost 40 years, competitively for most of them and I managed a dealership for 20, so I knew the odds were not in my favor.

Unfortunately, I was on the street about a mile from my house and this stupid...a-hem...lady thought it was just a great idea to text while pulling out into oncoming...ME:mad:. I had to lay the bike down to avoid tattooing myself on the side of her car. I slid into a curbed median and had a high side get off...that tossed me 46 feet into incoming traffic. My head, shoulder/humerus and right hip took the brunt of the impact. I'm thankful to still be alive (most days), I have no (new) brain damage (thanks Arai Helmets) I can walk (with a limp) and I still have all my appendages...(kinda):confused:

I miss it too man...it never gets outta your blood! I just can't ride anynmore because of the injuries ( plus the ones the redhead I'm married to would cause) the bright side is... I have all the time I need to devote to my new found passions....being a smarta$$ (okay that's not new) and PRS induced GAS!
My one and only ROAD accident was self inflicted.
I was riding a Kawasaki 400 triple two stroke, and my buddy was on a little 175 Suzy.
We were leaving a local water dam on a road that is extremely twisty turny. He was in front and making every maneuver possible to prevent me from passing. The distance between his rear tire and my front was akin to having "very low action".
Almost halfway through a hairpin turn my buddy dumps his bike. The sparks from pedals, frame, and forks showered over my head and I had to make a choice:
1) Run my dumbass buddy over
2) Take the curb and come what may

Like an idiot, I took the curb.:confused:
My ride flew and landed up against a tree with the front wheel the only thing touching the ground, and the seat propped up against the trunk as if you meant to park it like that!
I on the other hand flew like Superman through the trees. I cannot to this day understand how I did not plaster myself into the local forest with a yap full of bark. It must have looked like a Star Wars speeder scene, but no speeder!
I landed and rolled in the leaves, got up, ripped off my helmet and yelled "I'm alive!!!" No sh!t!
I was in a T-shirt (facepalm).
I walked over to my ride... it was still running, pointing nose down, completely perpendicular, and 90 degrees from your normal perspective.
Hauling it down onto two wheels I turned it off and hopped on. With the handle bars pointed straight, the wheel was about 30 degrees to port.:p
I straightened that out with the old "put the wheel between your legs and pull hard on the bars" technique, put on my helmet, and rode away with nary a scratch!
My buddy?
Never saw him again... just kidding. He wore a hole in his jeans and acquired some well earned road rash:rolleyes: He rode away too.
I'm sure I could have survived running him over better.:mad::D

Off road antics are another story...

My buddy is having heart issues now. He's had two ablations done, and it looks like he's going to get a pacemaker in June. He's a biker and thinks nothing of hopping on the bike in the morning and riding 5-6 hours to a concert. His doctor is doing everything he can not to have to implant a defibrillator because my buddy rides. My buddy said the defib would end his riding days because he can't take the chance of getting zapped when he's going 65+ on the highway.

It is...ehhh, its actually the same...good news is...I have just ennough range of motion to drape it over a guitar and my picking hand still works (kinda)just thankful it's still attached, oh and that I'm still alive to use it...so there's that.

Yikes!!! I' m 53 and still dirtbike. I need these friendly reminders to take it easy out there.

Hope you get back to it quickly.

Oooh. Pretty!!!!

Ah man, I haven't done a track day in years.

I did the Jason Pridmore Star school racing class. Freakin baddass!!!!!

Ah man, I haven't done a track day in years.

I did the Jason Pridmore Star school racing class. Freakin baddass!!!!!

Track riding is like heroin. It's TOUGH to stop. I didn't start until I was 40, so I never got really fast. I was riding slow, A group times. I was doing three or four track days a year and riding to work every day.

Coming up to the top of turn 3A at Sears Point.......Caught something slick on the front end when the suspension was unloaded (3 bikes went down at that spot during the day) and had a very uneventful lowside.....except my right leg got caught under the bike and was twisted. Then, I slid across the track. When I hit the dirt I started tumbling and that was an interesting experience. That's where my scapula got shattered.

I was walking on the leg because I thought I had just twisted my ankle; no big deal. I wasn't even going to go to the doctor. My wife made me get checked out. After seeing the x-ray my doc scheduled me for surgery two days later. He wasn't sure how I was walking. When he saw my scapula x-ray he frowned and said, "Damn, I'm going to need a consult on this one." Turns out the scapula was in several pieces (I could feel the bones grinding on each other), but there was no shoulder joint damage. They let me avoid surgery on the scapula. The consulting doc said, "You really should get that wired back together, but since you're already going to be recovering from leg surgery I'll let it pass. You're not going to be moving around too much anyway." The surgery recovery was a LOT worse than the actual injury.

My sons are 14 & 12. I took a hiatus from riding since this was my second significant injury from riding. I will get back on when they're a little older. I miss it LIKE CRAZY every day.

Track riding is like heroin. It's TOUGH to stop. I didn't start until I was 40, so I never got really fast. I was riding slow, A group times. I was doing three or four track days a year and riding to work every day.

Coming up to the top of turn 3A at Sears Point.......Caught something slick on the front end when the suspension was unloaded (3 bikes went down at that spot during the day) and had a very uneventful lowside.....except my right leg got caught under the bike and was twisted. Then, I slid across the track. When I hit the dirt I started tumbling and that was an interesting experience. That's where my scapula got shattered.

I was walking on the leg because I thought I had just twisted my ankle; no big deal. I wasn't even going to go to the doctor. My wife made me get checked out. After seeing the x-ray my doc scheduled me for surgery two days later. He wasn't sure how I was walking. When he saw my scapula x-ray he frowned and said, "Damn, I'm going to need a consult on this one." Turns out the scapula was in several pieces (I could feel the bones grinding on each other), but there was no shoulder joint damage. They let me avoid surgery on the scapula. The consulting doc said, "You really should get that wired back together, but since you're already going to be recovering from leg surgery I'll let it pass. You're not going to be moving around too much anyway." The surgery recovery was a LOT worse than the actual injury.

My sons are 14 & 12. I took a hiatus from riding since this was my second significant injury from riding. I will get back on when they're a little older. I miss it LIKE CRAZY every day.

Sounds crazy. I LOVE riding. Sold my sportbikes 4 years ago and bought a used ultraclassic. Boring but very comfortable.

I ride a KTM EXC250 2 stroke. It is,a beast. My 14 year old is really getting into it this year, bought a Honda crf150f this spring for him and he is gong crazy want g to ride it.

We have a really nice off oad park an hour away but we are slow to get bikes ready this year. We will hit it hard!!!

I was at heartland park in Topeka a number of years ago on my ZX9R. Thought I was killing it until a couple of guys on SV650s blew around me in a corner like I was pulling an anchor.

Still fun thought. 150 MPH on the back straight at that track was incredible.

I used to be out every weekend all over B.C. mountains. Got "told" it was over when I had my son.
I miss those days.

They grow up quick so there will be time to get back to it! Or go off road and include the wife and kids.

My wife is too much of a Diva to try off road.

Back