The utter futility of collection thining

“This guitar has kind of a nasty smell.”

“Yeah, some guy was buried with it, and probably started decomposing. After a while I thought about what a waste of a good guitar that was, so I dug him up and took it.”

“What’d you do with the guy?”

“Remember me telling you I have skeletons in my closet?”
You know, that might just be a good script for a horror comedy!

This is what my last motorcycle gave me as a parting gift...my advice...buy more PRSi! ;)

6RtuKsc.jpg
GjkPSj4.jpg
This is one post where pressing the like button would be very inappropriate!

I know I've got too many. The UPS guy pulled up outside about 4:45 yesterday. Comes up the walk with a box and lays this on me, "Jesus, dude, another new guitar day? How many you got in there?" Enough that the dogs know to bite off an arm if anyone tries to grab one, was my reply.

I've got a problem. I admit it. Know what, I DON'T CARE!

Haha! Maybe I have horror on the brain. My company is working on audio and sound effects for a horror movie. Usually we create music, but every so often, something a little off the beaten path comes along.
Wow you must be very experienced in the world of music!

Hey if you have the chance have a listen to a song I recently recorded okay? It’s on Spotify and iTunes. I need all the expert advice and critique I can get. It’s recorded on low budget and purely as a hobby. Look for this sign:
OFUa18O.jpg

Hey if you have the chance have a listen to a song I recently recorded okay? It’s on Spotify and iTunes. I need all the expert advice and critique I can get. It’s recorded on low budget and purely as a hobby. Look for this sign:
OFUa18O.jpg

Hey, I’m just a lowly TV ad/film music composer, I’m no songwriter. My son is the real-deal songwriter in the family (which is why he’s making records in LA and I’m stuck in Detroit).

But I dug your songwriting, and especially liked the guitar playing. My only suggestions are that the song runs too long - 3-4 minutes is the usual norm for a song in this style, remember, leave ‘em wanting more - and that the choruses might be further lifted and distinguished from the rest of the song by some kind of keyboard pad (I’d use a Hammond for something like this, or maybe piano).

Other than those two minor suggestions, I’d say keep up the good work! You’re a talented guy.

3-4 minutes is the usual norm for a song in this style,
Heh that’s what my studio people keep telling me too. Well noted again! :)

Hey, I’m just a lowly TV ad/film music composer, I’m no songwriter. My son is the real-deal songwriter in the family (which is why he’s making records in LA and I’m stuck in Detroit).
Well it could be a case of running in the family, opportunity, and generational evolution, isnt it? What your son has achieved speaks much of you too. Reminds me of the song Leader of the Band!

And, any type of music creation is respectable I feel. And precious. There are so many that have zero passion for original music.

Hey, I appreciate your advice! And thanks for the encouragement my friend! :)

Last edited:

OFUa18O.jpg
Doooood! That is hands down the most glorious color ever put on a guitar! If/when I grow up I wannt the same finish on the same guitar! That is just friggin crazy gorgious!!!

Doooood! That is hands down the most glorious color ever put on a guitar! If/when I grow up I wannt the same finish on the same guitar! That is just friggin crazy gorgious!!!
Thanks! That’s the orange glow finish on a Collection II DGT. Yeah it’s beautiful and reminds me of the sunrise. It’s so nice I decided to use it to symbolise my work rather than my ugly mug. :p

Seriously, that looks painful. I hope you are all okay now!

It is...ehhh, its actually the same...good news is...I have just ennough range of motion to drape it over a guitar and my picking hand still works (kinda)just thankful it's still attached, oh and that I'm still alive to use it...so there's that.

Heh that’s what my studio people keep telling me too. Well noted again! :)

Well it could be a case of running in the family, opportunity, and generational evolution, isnt it? What your son has achieved speaks much of you too. Reminds me of the song Leader of the Band!

And, any type of music creation is respectable I feel. And precious. There are so many that have zero passion for original music.

Hey, I appreciate your advice! And thanks for the encouragement my friend! :)

But I dug your songwriting, and especially liked the guitar playing. My only suggestions are that the song runs too long - 3-4 minutes is the usual norm for a song in this style, remember, leave ‘em wanting more - and that the choruses might be further lifted and distinguished from the rest of the song by some kind of keyboard pad (I’d use a Hammond for something like this, or maybe piano).

Other than those two minor suggestions, I’d say keep up the good work! You’re a talented guy.

Don't let Les fool ya, hes just being modest..he's my Sonic Yoda...

Yikes! Hope it has all healed back to "normal"!

Yeah, not so much. This has become my new "normal"...in all fairness..."normal" has never been my strong suite anyway...my youngest nephew refers to it as my "Terminator Arm".

Both GAS & fiscal responsibility have made me sell guitars. I used to have a list but somewhere between 20-30 PRS have passed through my hands since 1998 or so.

Most recently fiscal responsibility forced me to do some major herd thinning.

I kept my Siggy Ltd, and just got a PS McCarty SC. I still want a Silver Sky, but I don’t want for much else.

Maybe someday a PS Angelus. But my Taylor has been with me for 20+ years so I don’t really GAS for an acoustic. I do own an SE Angelus but it’s with one of the boys right now.

Last edited:
Back