The unofficial Silver Sky thread

I do understand the aesthetics of this guitar and the challenge that PRS must have. There is a certain expectation of the look of a S type guitar. A Strat is so iconic that even people who know nothing about guitars know exactly how it should look, and you can't mess with the look too much and it still be an S type. It must be hard to keep that image and also retain the PRS identity. The devil will be in the details though.

I do understand the aesthetics of this guitar and the challenge that PRS must have. There is a certain expectation of the look of a S type guitar. A Strat is so iconic that even people who know nothing about guitars know exactly how it should look, and you can't mess with the look too much and it still be an S type. It must be hard to keep that image and also retain the PRS identity. The devil will be in the details though.
I think you’re absolutely right. It could have been a real headbreaker to navigate the balance between originality, what the artist wants, and what the market wants. If you look at Paul, he’s aged more over the last year or so.

Last edited:
I think you’re absolutely right. It could have been a real headbreaker to navigate the balance between originality, what the artist wants, and what the market wants. If you look at Paul, he’s aged more over the last year or so.
I'm not sure it's just what the artist wants, it's as much what the audience expects to see.

Thats right. I will retire from the guitar buying business. Officially.

Yall believe me, right?

It's one thing to fit in here. It's another to make fun of us like this. We *know* we're liars - you don't have to point it out!

It never fails to amaze how so many guys get so bent out of shape over this crap.
I really dislike John Mayer ... don't know why, just do.
But honestly, it's just a guitar.

Those who like it, buy it.
Those who don't, don't.
Kinda simple.

Seems so obvious, doesn't it?

I'm not sure it's just what the artist wants, it's as much what the audience expects to see.

Cody Kirby told a story about Ricky Skaggs playing his PRS acoustic at a festival. Cody said the guitar sounded unbelievable, and he was anxious to hear what people thought. He said he wandered through the crowd, and all he heard was, "What was Skaggs doing up there? Can you believe he wasn't playing a dreadnaught?"

You know, some things are worth a good beating, and I really think this might be one of them. Besides, we have spare bedrooms so if it gets too bad, bring it with you and come on up. (You think you’re a PRS fanboy now? Wait til you play my Archon! Not only will you NEVER be the same again, but you’ll be signing up for another beating immediately for an Archon!).

Oh yeah? Apparently you have never had one of these within an inch of death beatings the Ginger Goddess delivers...However...I'm pretty tough so I just play dead and go to my happy place to slow my heart rate to probably dead...The CR was worth it. I've been training my mind to withstand higher pain thresholds the Archon will bring. So far, I'm numb from about the neck up:confused:....hold the invite though as a back up if you don't mind:D;)

When you get yours, can you to post if its the same body shape and if it can cop strat tones (the majority of the vids online say that JM's prototype was outstratting his strat on stage and how it wouldnt hit those ice picky notes that his strat was hitting)? Body shape and tone are my two main criteria for this one.

Other than that, I just need it to have a maple board and a Pattern or Pattern Reg neck (I hope it doesnt have some special 'JM' neck shape)

Yes, PRS Body shape, and hopefully pattern regular neck, but either of those are great.

then my guitar collection will be complete and I wont have to buy ANY more guitars EVER.

;)

Thats right. I will retire from the guitar buying business. Officially.

Yall believe me, right?

uh, please don't be offended, but... NO! I mean, the spirit is willing, but the flesh is weak. Besides, I have heard that they put something in the water here that makes us all be like that.

Oh yeah? Apparently you have never had one of these within an inch of death beatings the Ginger Goddess delivers...However...I'm pretty tough so I just play dead and go to my happy place to slow my heart rate to probably dead...The CR was worth it. I've been training my mind to withstand higher pain thresholds the Archon will bring. So far, I'm numb from about the neck up:confused:....hold the invite though as a back up if you don't mind:D;)
Beatings from a redhead? Sign me up!

Speaking of beatings, I've been thinking PRS are going to take a beating over this guitar no matter what.

Previous offerings: "It's not close enough to a Strat, just buy a Fender."
Now: "It's too close to a Strat, just buy a Fender."​

It's a good thing that all us goofs on the internet added together still only make up a small amount of the guitar buying market.

I get some of the outrage though. Lots of other companies make "Strats", but PRS is so well known for being its own thing that people get emotionally invested in it. I remember being pissed when they first came out with the original Singlecut. And then I rolled my eyes at the DC3 a decade later. I guess I've mellowed because now I don't care so much about that and I just want the best guitar for the job.

I did read over on ye olde Gear Page that someone who recently took a factory tour saw a bunch of them on the line nearing completion, so that's exciting.

I did read over on ye olde Gear Page that someone who recently took a factory tour saw a bunch of them on the line nearing completion, so that's exciting.

Tried to find the TGP post of which you speak. No luck.

Cool if they’re finally more than just rumor though.

Really? Again? Is it me or is this tread bringing out the...well, the ones that never heard of the golden rule?

I had no idea?! So let me be sure I understand...only retired/elderly/ nursing home patients (also people), but no actual people eat pie anymore? Hmm? Who knew?

Anyhooo! Mr. Hip, your less than intelligent or to be more specific, the derogatory AND discriminatory statements about the elderly you've
made are just unappreciated and offensive. At what point did you think it would make you seem hip or superior to spew that kind of stupididity all over the place? Did making this appearance in some sad little way, make you feel like you were relevant or have ever been? Were your delicate sensabilties upset because someone stated their opinion about another forum? Did you ask yourself, if your statements would be just to get attention or will anyone even care if your only reason was to post something to piss people off in an attempt to convince yourself that you are somewhat relavent or have ever been? No? Maybe you should have a long time ago. Whatever your reasons may be or whatever your personal crusade is, is of no concern to me. I just thought I would bring to your attention one thing and one thing only... just what an idiot you have made of yourself with this post. Apparently, you haven't been made aware of this until now. Or come to think of it i think you probably have but thought that someone, anyone other than you finds your "hey look at me psudo shock value" even a tiny bit amusing or useful? I mean, surely someone as "hip",well liked and respected as a long time member here such as you would not have made such an a$$ of himself had someone as kind as me, called you out or brought it to your attention before now?! Because maybe then you would have used your head for something other than a hair holder with two ears and a pie hole. Let's just say it's me doing you a favor. From now on, how about you keep this kind of stupidity, insults and rhetoric to yourself? I know it's gotta be hard keeping all that to yourself, but ya should cause its tired and and no one cares what you have to say if it's always trash talk and insults. Thanks for taking the time from your fanclub to read this my .02.... Okay? Good talk! Oh, and your welcome...

Okay back on topic...what was the topic again oh yeah! The JM Strat prototype...carry on... ;)

You are batsh!t crazy man

Last edited by a moderator:
Back