The unofficial Silver Sky thread

I wouldn't assume that, mostly because some of these strat players are insistent that the block heel contributes to tone. This is why most custom shop Fenders and Charvels are still being made with the block. If Mayer is one of those dudes, then its going to have a block heel. It's silly what some people think contributes to a guitars sound. Same thing with pressed saddles. That is another thing I consider BS as well. Yeah, good reason to irritate and cut the crap out of your hand. If I bought this, I'd definitely tape my hand where it hits the bridge.

The saddle height screws can be fixed with good design. For example, Callaham saddles are bent and threaded in a way that allows use of shorter screws that won't protrude.

Speaking of the rosewood board, do you suppose it’s slab or laminated?

Speaking of the rosewood board, do you suppose it’s slab or laminated?
prs-john-mayer-stratocaster-leak-2.jpg

Slab? Kind of hard to tell

Please, Please, PLEASE! White, white pick guard, maple fingerboard. PRETTY PLEASE! I see they have the white pick guard and pickups ready.
It’s best practiced after midnight! Accompanied by a wee dram of single malt!
Best “brush up” on you’re etiquette before playing though!!

Oh by the way “I’M BACCCKKKKK!”

A little tune for Sergio, as I descend into the depths of shame, whilst lacking in the “prerequisite PRS ownership”.;):D

Which one are you? :D

It never fails to amaze how so many guys get so bent out of shape over this crap.
I really dislike John Mayer ... don't know why, just do.
But honestly, it's just a guitar.

Those who like it, buy it.
Those who don't, don't.
Kinda simple.
At the PRS factory, if things get bent out of shape, they are often cut in half and thrown in the bin...
Just sayin'

I wouldn't assume that, mostly because some of these strat players are insistent that the block heel contributes to tone. This is why most custom shop Fenders and Charvels are still being made with the block. If Mayer is one of those dudes, then its going to have a block heel. It's silly what some people think contributes to a guitars sound. Same thing with pressed saddles. That is another thing I consider BS as well. Yeah, good reason to irritate and cut the crap out of your hand. If I bought this, I'd definitely tape my hand where it hits the bridge.

Funny how all the things you dislike about strats are pretty much what I dislike about them as well. The big one being the knob layout.

As for buying one, if the price is right, they have a maple board option and I play one and it plays more like my PRS NF3 than a strat....I may bite. But my expendable rainy day guitar money I have been patiently holding on to is for something a little more....modern. Call it a feeling....but I think one day in the near future we may see a limited Core run of Holcomb 7 strings. And I want to make sure I have the dollars available to literally order one the minute I can. :)

Red, black, and silver. No sunburst? That’s a tough choice. I don’t like black with a rosewood board. I wouldn’t mind red if it weren’t so dark. A fiesta red would have been awesome. The silver I’m not crazy about, either. I’ll probably go silver or red if those are the only options.

Red, black, and silver. No sunburst? That’s a tough choice. I don’t like black with a rosewood board. I wouldn’t mind red if it weren’t so dark. A fiesta red would have been awesome. The silver I’m not crazy about, either. I’ll probably go silver or red if those are the only options.

Maybe the dude who was there just didn't happen to see other colors for any number of reasons.

The TGP dude who went on the tour saw red, black, and silver. So @Casi1 should be happy.

Woohoo! I just need a maple board, a dry or satin neck, and a pattern or pattern regular profile. I'm gonna get rid of the third knobby knob regardless but give me all those other things and I'd be over the moon.

But which one to choose? I love all of those colors! It depends on if the silver is bright silver or gunmetal silver. Me likey gunmetal.

Casi1 will pass on this (and just pick up an EJ strat) if no maple board option.

:(

You know, with PRSh focus on details, I have a suggestion. Why duplicate Leo Fender's unfortunate volume knob placement on the pickguard? You know, the one closest to the pickup that we always bump into and change accidentally? I mean, you can't blame Leo, he wasn't the biggest guitarist, so it's not a surprise he missed this design aspect. But, if we're, well, reinventing the PRS way, let's address this and move that sucker a bit towards the switch? Please?

You know, with PRSh focus on details, I have a suggestion. Why duplicate Leo Fender's unfortunate volume knob placement on the pickguard? You know, the one closest to the pickup that we always bump into and change accidentally? I mean, you can't blame Leo, he wasn't the biggest guitarist, so it's not a surprise he missed this design aspect. But, if we're, well, reinventing the PRS way, let's address this and move that sucker a bit towards the switch? Please?

They did that with the DC3. That and all of the other tweaks they did made me buy one...

But the thing is, to a lot of people, those controls are in the perfect place. Same with the 594.

PRS has entered into a new stage of giving folks what they want, rather than (I assume) what Paul decides/thinks is better.

It started with different wood combinations, and making the switches and tuners easier, sprinkle some Floyd’s and aftermarket pickups on a few models... and here we are. It took a minute for me to reconcile with it but, I think there’s room for the different worlds to coexist.

As long as making those other products keeps PRS in business and able to keep production of the obviously superior Santana shaped guitars going... I’m cool with it.

They did that with the DC3. That and all of the other tweaks they did made me buy one...

But the thing is, to a lot of people, those controls are in the perfect place. Same with the 594.

PRS has entered into a new stage of giving folks what they want, rather than (I assume) what Paul decides/thinks is better.

It started with different wood combinations, and making the switches and tuners easier, sprinkle some Floyd’s and aftermarket pickups on a few models... and here we are. It took a minute for me to reconcile with it but, I think there’s room for the different worlds to coexist.

As long as making those other products keeps PRS in business and able to keep production of the obviously superior Santana shaped guitars going... I’m cool with it.

Makes sense, I guess.

On second look, he did move it about 3/8" towards the switch, actually, so perhaps that's the compromise.

Very true... And theres probably a lot more folks who learned to play on a strat (with the 3 knobs) or a Gib (with the 4 knobs) and they'd be lost without that design/placement. Its perfect for them. Those of us who want something different have more reason to customize via a private stock if what appeals to the masses isnt our cup o tea. Its good for PRS to focus on what the majority of customers want. Its not like we are completely left out; we have A LOT of 2 knob models to choose from. In the JM strat case, we know he loves his f strat (even if he no longer loves fnder) so gotta give him what he loves and hope the masses will agree with him and buy in too.

I have such an aversion to more than 2 knobs that I cant even force myself to 'like' the 594 and my pinky consistently gets trapped by the volume knob on a typical strat. I was ecstatic to find a new DC3 because it was a perfect design for me... but the DC3 apparently didnt appeal to those folks who loved the f strat design but were in the market for a PRS. Maybe they REALLY needed that 3rd knob. Lol. I'm sure there were lots of reasons why the DC3 wasnt a resounding success but I'm sure more than a few folks out there were like 'wheres the 2nd tone knob? Wtf? Nope...not interested.'

Back