The Southern Rock Thread

RIP Ed King

This is a tough one for me, Ed King is one of my favorite players of all time. Aside from that, he always carried himself in interviews as such a gentle soul and he was such a generous person toward his fans, running a blog for years that he would gleefully dive headlong into. My thoughts and prayers are with his wife and dog-kiddos I remember seeing in his home videos from recent years. Rest well, Mr. King.

This is a tough one for me, Ed King is one of my favorite players of all time. Aside from that, he always carried himself in interviews as such a gentle soul and he was such a generous person toward his fans, running a blog for years that he would gleefully dive headlong into. My thoughts and prayers are with his wife and dog-kiddos I remember seeing in his home videos from recent years. Rest well, Mr. King.

Yet another sad day for music lovers. Another loss of an amazing talent. This guy had the most amazing tone and he had it for days! IMHO he is one of the all time greats and was a integral part of LS' early signiture sound! To me, the riffs he gave the world are the epitome of what Southern Rock Guitar is supposed to sound like. He's gone from this world now, but he was kind enough to give us this music from now on. I for one am greatful for such an amazing gif. Godspeed!

RIP Mr. Ed King!

LA isn’t exactly “southern,” though the LA Sound of the 70s as exemplified by CCR, Canned Heat, the Doobies, Little Feat, and the Eagles definitely had downed a few bottles of Southern Comfort.

Southern Rock is surely a genre!;)

LA isn’t exactly “southern,” though the LA Sound of the 70s as exemplified by CCR, Canned Heat, the Doobies, Little Feat, and the Eagles definitely had downed a few bottles of Southern Comfort.

Ok I stand reprimanded :D

Those are cool bands, I just don't consider them southern rock.

But thanks to @bodia I've been listening to Robert Jon & the Wreck all day. More Californians! But I'll be danged if they don't have the real southern-fried musical goods!

But thanks to @bodia I've been listening to Robert Jon & the Wreck all day. More Californians! But I'll be danged if they don't have the real southern-fried musical goods!

How about it! They're really good! Here's another hot band that, IMO, don't get the press they should. Not Southern, but damn good music.

To muddy those Shenandoah waters even more, Skynyrd’s Ed King, he of the Sweet Home Alabama riff/solos and the Simple Man bassline, was from California.

And Don Felder is from north Florida and went off to California to join Eagles!

@Alnus Rubra is right though, southern rock is a genre. In the first wave (1970's), the bands where all from the southeast part of the country. Hence the name. But as the popularity spread, people from all parts have picked up the style and carried it on.

And Don Felder is from north Florida and went off to California to join Eagles!

@Alnus Rubra is right though, southern rock is a genre. In the first wave (1970's), the bands where all from the southeast part of the country. Hence the name. But as the popularity spread, people from all parts have picked up the style and carried it on.

Bernie Leadon was also from Gainesville, and was part of the reason Felder got invited to the Eagles.

For a "southern California" band, none of the main members were from southern CA - Schmit was the closest, from Oakland. Everyone else was from elsewhere - Henley (TX), Frey (MI), Leadon (FL), Felder (FL), Walsh (KS), Meisner (NE).

Back