The Southern Rock Thread

Love me some Leslie West, but Mountain is about as northern as you can get. LW is a Long Islander, Felix was from the Bronx, and Corky is Canadian. Maybe falls into a similar vein as the Band or CCR though, huh?

You beat me to it. However, if asked to name the greatest rock song ever, Mississippi Queen would be my number 1. It was so ahead of its time. No one had a guitar tone like Leslie. I was a Freshman at IU when that came across the radio, and I was like WTF is that!!!

You beat me to it. However, if asked to name the greatest rock song ever, Mississippi Queen would be my number 1. It was so ahead of its time. No one had a guitar tone like Leslie. I was a Freshman at IU when that came across the radio, and I was like WTF is that!!!
He was playing through an effing PA head to boot! I can’t even imagine how loud that room had to be for KT-88s to get that kind of overdrive.

Yeah they were a cool band. A nice way to move forward after the Skynyrd plane crash. Always makes me a bit sad to think of Allen. He had more tough times than anyone deserves.

Here's a cool southern rock super group: Betts, Hall, Leavell & Trucks. Only found out about them recently. They didn't record and I don't think any of the songs are originals, but damn they are great on the couple of live recordings floating around.Total powerhouse of a band.

Yeah they were a cool band. A nice way to move forward after the Skynyrd plane crash. Always makes me a bit sad to think of Allen. He had more tough times than anyone deserves.

Here's a cool southern rock super group: Betts, Hall, Leavell & Trucks. Only found out about them recently. They didn't record and I don't think any of the songs are originals, but damn they are great on the couple of live recordings floating around.Total powerhouse of a band.

That's good stuff!

Keep an eye on these guys: The Marcus King Band. Marcus is just a pup, but Warren Haynes has taken him under his wing. He has a huge voice and plays like a mix of Warren, Derek Trucks, and Jimmy Herring.

Keep an eye on these guys: The Marcus King Band. Marcus is just a pup, but Warren Haynes has taken him under his wing. He has a huge voice and plays like a mix of Warren, Derek Trucks, and Jimmy Herring.

Dig! Did he win one of Guitar Center's King of the Blues contests? I've heard his name before, but can't recall where.

Proud of this guy. We grew up together and I have hoped something would break for him since we graduated High Scool & finally about 10 years ago now...it finally did.

His name is Austin Hanks (Steven as I've always known him) other than working at the local mom and pop grocery store when we were kids, he never had a "9-5" he never gave himself another option or a "Plan B". There was only his music, he told me just before relocating to L.A. in the late 90's, he told me this was the only dream he ever had and if he couldn't make a living doing that, he'd be dead anyway because his music and his close friend were all he had.

He has held true to his dream, he worked his a$$ off, he never gave up. He did a lot of the music for Sons of Anarchy, has toured with just about everybody in the business, hustles up session work, and plays left handed upside down LP in the Piano Bar almost every weekend, just like the litte kid I grew up with did...he was the friend that no matter where we were supposed to be we were late...we were always having to threaten to beat the deal outta him if he didn't put his guitar down so we could actually finally get where we were supposed to be. So glad he never put that LP down..my hats off to you Steven...very proud to call the guy my homie!

Last edited:
Proud of this guy. We grew up together and I have hoped something would break for him since we graduated High Scool & finally about 10 years ago now...it finally did.

His name is Austin Hanks (Steven as I've always known him) other than working at the local mom and pop grocery store when we were kids, he never had a "9-5" he never gave himself another option or a "Plan B". There was only his music, he told me just before relocating to L.A. in the late 90's, he told me this was the only dream he ever had and if he couldn't make a living doing that, he'd be dead anyway because his music and his close friend were all he had.

He has held true to his dream, he worked his a$$ off, he never gave up. He did a lot of the music for Sons of Anarchy, has toured with just about everybody in the business, hustles up session work, and plays left handed upside down LP in the Piano Bar almost every weekend, just like the litte kid I grew up with did...he was the friend that no matter where we were supposed to be we were late...we were always having to threaten to beat the deal outta him if he didn't put his guitar down so we could actually finally get where we were supposed to be. So glad he never put that LP down..my hats off to you Steven...very proud to call the guy my homie!

Damn man, kicking tune! Yeah, just hangin' with the Rev in the garage, jammin'.

Here is a Hidden Gem...
This was actually Henry Rollins Band, Saw Them Pulling Double Duty And Opening for The Rollins Band Back On The Nice Tour..
Jim Wilson Is Amazing, He Just Needs A McCarty 594 Singlecut
And Lets Not Forget Badlands

One of the great things about the era we live in is YouTube. There are a bunch of good quality live shows available to stream, including some rare stuff.

For better or worse, here's one that captures the Allman Brothers Band near the demise of their first comeback. They made a strong comeback album in '79 with Enlightened Rogues, followed up by Reach for the Sky, which has a few highlights. Then for some reason they added Mike Lawler on keys with not so good results on Brothers of the Road.

Dickey is on fire this show. And check out Dan Toler's ripping solo on Whipping Post. Mike Lawler does a great job on the Leavell style piano stuff, but then pretty much craps on everything with synth and then a couple of keytar (yes, sadly) solos.

One of the great things about the era we live in is YouTube. There are a bunch of good quality live shows available to stream, including some rare stuff.

For better or worse, here's one that captures the Allman Brothers Band near the demise of their first comeback. They made a strong comeback album in '79 with Enlightened Rogues, followed up by Reach for the Sky, which has a few highlights. Then for some reason they added Mike Lawler on keys with not so good results on Brothers of the Road.

Dickey is on fire this show. And check out Dan Toler's ripping solo on Whipping Post. Mike Lawler does a great job on the Leavell style piano stuff, but then pretty much craps on everything with synth and then a couple of keytar (yes, sadly) solos.

Man, Dickey Betts is one of the greats that I myself tend overlook. I have no idea why either? Because I think he is absolutely incredible! Could you imagine Dickey Betts AND Duane Allman...sharing the same stage...I'm not saying Warren Haynes isn't awesome...he is...and slinging a PRS in this video no less!
But Dickey and Duane....C'MON! ...mind blown...:confused:

It is a great time, for me at least, to be a music lover/geek. We now have access to these legendary performances, a huge variety of music, all at the tips of our fingers 24/7 365. I mean WOW! It is almost overwhelming at times! No, it's not the same as being there, not even close, but man just being able to acess, listen to and watch music and the people that make it, is awe inspiring at the very least!

So yeah, you nailed it garrett that IS a great thing!! A great thing indeed my friend!

Last edited:
Not sure if they qualify as Southern Rock, but it sure is good old fashioned rock-n-roll.

Man, Dickey Betts is one of the greats that I myself tend overlook. I have no idea why either? Because I think he is absolutely incredible! Could you imagine Dickey Betts AND Duane Allman...sharing the same stage...I'm not saying Warren Haynes isn't awesome...he is...and slinging a PRS in this video no less!
But Dickey and Duane....C'MON! ...mind blown...:confused:

It is a great time, for me at least, to be a music lover/geek. We now have access to these legendary performances, a huge variety of music, all at the tips of our fingers 24/7 365. I mean WOW! It is almost overwhelming at times! No, it's not the same as being there, not even close, but man just being able to acess, listen to and watch music and the people that make it, is awe inspiring at the very least!

So yeah, you nailed it garrett that IS a great thing!! A great thing indeed my friend!

ABB is hands down my favorite band. The Dickey & Warren lineup is my favorite after the original.

There isn't much video of the original lineup, but this one is pretty good. You can almost forget about Dickey when Duane is doing his thing, but then Dickey steps up and commands your attention.

Back