The Southern Rock Thread

Would I be steering too far off course if I pulled up The Dixie Dregs? I'm hoping it's fair game... because 60 posts in, nobody's mentioned Steve Morse yet. :eek:

My first real exposure was this album, after I'd already gotten into Morse. I don't think my brain ever recovered.

Edit: ninja'ed :D

Seattle groupthink at play, like the way everybody ends up stuck together for an hour on Montlake south of U Village trying to access I-5 via 520 after assuming 45th would be too jammed.

How bout the Outlaws?

Oh yeah! I especially dig their harmony vocals.

Would I be steering too far off course if I pulled up The Dixie Dregs? I'm hoping it's fair game... because 60 posts in, nobody's mentioned Steve Morse yet. :eek:

My first real exposure was this album, after I'd already gotten into Morse. I don't think my brain ever recovered.

I'll allow it (the word "Dixie" is right there in the name, after all). I'm going to see them live at the end of April.

On the topic of Outlaws, this is practically a Dregs song...

These guys (Black Stone Cherry) are doing their best to keep the fire burning. Not to mention, they are probably some of the nicest and most humble guys you will ever meet. They haven't taken off in the states as much as they have in Europe. Going to check them and Gov't Mule out in May. It's not for everyone but, it's got a great beat and you can dance to it:D the first one is a kick a$$ song IMHO. The second was the single that got them noticed. The last one is a "party anthem" recorded at Download Festival in England a few years back. Chris in particular, is a hell of a guitar player and a great frontman in his own right. He also is a HUGE PRS fanboy...which earns him extra points in my book.;) if you aren't already familiar with them...It'sworth a listen for sure.

Big fan of these two:

Big fan of these two:

Good ones! BSC have really grown on me for sure...what hooked me, were these 2 songs..I lost my dad in 07, I stumbled across these two on the anniversary of losing him. It's not "Southern Rock" but the song writing and the emotions it stirs, is IMHO is what music all about. The fellas hit a nerve with these two for sure. Knowing the back story through Steve just made them more meaningful and cool.

Spoiler alert...grab the Kleenex..

Can I just say...aI love this thread! Kudos to the OP Garrett! Here are couple more staples of the genre for everyones listening pleasure...

I'd toss Kid Rock into this group. Some of his stuff just takes me back to that time in the late 70s

Despite his self-proclaimed "redneck" imagery, I put him more in the Bob Seger camp than southern rock... Actually, his album "Born Free" COULD BE a Bob Seger album. He's also from MI. Like the 2nd coming of Bob Seger, but without all the radio hits (but then what rock band has radio hits anymore? U2? Maybe the Foo Fighters?)

I saw Marshall Tucker Band and the Outlaws last year. Separate shows, but the opener was the same at both - the Steppin Stones (yes, w/o the g). They've since changed their name to Hannah Wicklund and the Steppin Stones (I'm thinking it's only a matter of time until it's just Hannah Wicklund). They're not the stereotypical Southern Rock band - three piece, and they tend more towards southern soul-tinged rock.

Lead single from the latest album:

I love her tone in this one:

Can I just say...aI love this thread! Kudos to the OP Garrett! Here are couple more staples of the genre for everyones listening pleasure...

Love me some Leslie West, but Mountain is about as northern as you can get. LW is a Long Islander, Felix was from the Bronx, and Corky is Canadian. Maybe falls into a similar vein as the Band or CCR though, huh?

Love me some Leslie West, but Mountain is about as northern as you can get. LW is a Long Islander, Felix was from the Bronx, and Corky is Canadian. Maybe falls into a similar vein as the Band or CCR though, huh?

My point exactly, Ram Jam was also from Long Island. But man, did they sell it or what? I guess if I never listed to Kid Rock back in the "Devil Without a Cause" days, I would buy the red neck persona a bit more...well, until I heard him speak and his Michigan fell out...I still dig some of his old stuff and a few of his newer ones too. Especially this one...I LOVED this riff, so I learned this riff a couple of weeks ago...it p!sees the redhead off...so yeah, if it does that I know it was a good one to learn. She hates any music (all music) that I like. To answer that question in advance she has the musical taste that's stuck on stupid. Yeah, I said it ...I ain't scared of her...much....and yes THAT is how you correctly spell ain't...

This ones for Bodia...

Last edited:
I saw Marshall Tucker Band and the Outlaws last year. Separate shows, but the opener was the same at both - the Steppin Stones (yes, w/o the g). They've since changed their name to Hannah Wicklund and the Steppin Stones (I'm thinking it's only a matter of time until it's just Hannah Wicklund). They're not the stereotypical Southern Rock band - three piece, and they tend more towards southern soul-tinged rock.

Oooooo! I like her...thanks alantig!

You bet, buddy! I still got more up my sleeve to share and talk about. I'm enjoying taking notes on stuff I need to go listen to.

Despite his self-proclaimed "redneck" imagery, I put him more in the Bob Seger camp than southern rock... Actually, his album "Born Free" COULD BE a Bob Seger album. He's also from MI. Like the 2nd coming of Bob Seger, but without all the radio hits (but then what rock band has radio hits anymore? U2? Maybe the Foo Fighters?)

If you want a good laugh, listen to his early rap stuff: Grits Sandwiches For Breakfast.

I just recently became aware of them. Cool rockin' stuff.

Get those yankees outta here! :p I do love some Mountain and CCR, though.

Ok, time to jump the shark...

Sugarland. After all, they DID pull Nettles out of the Atlanta music scene.... LOL

;)

Let's get some real Bama in here! You're slacking, bud.

Jimmy Hall is another top flight singer and a great sax player. I saw him perform with Jeff Beck's band a year or two ago and he still brings it!

Back