The Southern Rock Thread

I think it’s more that TTB is more of a song-based band concept musically compared to ABB, where the song was often just a happenstance ride the jam thumbed to get to the show. You can’t chase a four minute solo with a quick verse and almost fifteen minutes of an answer solo when your singer is the main act.

TTB jam like crazy live. The trombone player stole the show for me last time. Super clean technique and a great soloist.

I can’t sit still when I listen to this.

I love those guys! I'm surely a dummy for not seeing them live yet. They were just in town, too. I like all their stuff, but The Whippoorwill is right up there with the first Black Crowes album for me.

I need to dig more into 38 Special. I've largely ignored them for no particular reason.

I need to dig more into 38 Special. I've largely ignored them for no particular reason.

they were so popular on the POP charts at the time, and their songs are SO melodic, I think alot of people don't even think of them as Southern Rock. Probably just rock. Ditto the Black Crowes... heck, the Crowes were just trying to be The Faces & The Stones! Nothing "Southern" about that! But... that's what Blackberry Smoke considers themselves (rock and roll), as well as the Satellites back in the day. Those 4 bands weren't ones that "flew Dixie" as much in their songs like Skynyrd and others did.

they were so popular on the POP charts at the time, and their songs are SO melodic, I think alot of people don't even think of them as Southern Rock. Probably just rock. Ditto the Black Crowes... heck, the Crowes were just trying to be The Faces & The Stones! Nothing "Southern" about that! But... that's what Blackberry Smoke considers themselves (rock and roll), as well as the Satellites back in the day. Those 4 bands weren't ones that "flew Dixie" as much in their songs like Skynyrd and others did.

If you’re a Van Zant, you’re a southern rocker. ;)

Speaking from experience, these guys will be southern whether they like it or not. But yeah, they're more southern by association than by content.

Yep, saw them on their first tour and again in 2016. I totally loved Derek's playing in ABB, but I get bored with him when he doesn't have another high power lead player to balance him out. Susan can rip the blues, but the jam band solos don't seem to be her thing on guitar.

Loved Derek with Doyle Jr. touring with Clapton's band

What a great thread! The Marshall Tucker Band doing "Heard It In a Love Song". As a rule, I'm not a big flute fan, but here it makes it great in my opinion. The Caldwells RIP.

Goldtop Lloyd

ARS - Atlanta Rhythm Section. Named that because 'Doraville Rhythm Section' (where they were from) just didn't have a ring to it. "Imaginary Lover(s)". Ronnie Hammond and Paul Goddard RIP!

Goldtop LPC

What a great thread! The Marshall Tucker Band doing "Heard It In a Love Song". As a rule, I'm not a big flute fan, but here it makes it great in my opinion. The Caldwells RIP.

Goldtop Lloyd

I'm gonna listen to this one on my way home from work today. Had Where We All Belong crankin' when I was making dinner last night and on the way in to work this morning. I can't bring myself to only call out one or two tracks, I love that album front to back, so here's a link to the playlist of the whole thing!

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLdCzHSDd0DisnEr0tnXMEFYJqwvBYuCr9

The late Danny Joe Brown. Lead singer with Molly Hatchet for many years, after he left them he formed a band with the 'three-guitars-army-thing' and did a solo album. This one is called "Beggar Man".

Goldtop

Back