The Southern Rock Thread

garrett

I was born and mostly raised in Jacksonville, Florida, home of Lynyrd Skynyrd, Derek Trucks, and the place where the Allman Brothers Band formed before heading up to Macon.

I now live in the Atlanta area, which provided us with some great bands like Atlanta Rhythm Section, Georgia Satellites, Black Crowes, and Blackberry Smoke.

This genre has been ingrained in consciousness as long as I can remember and is a huge influence on me. How about you? Let's talk some southern rock, friends! First one to yell "Freebird!" gets banned! :p

Two of my personal top ten guitarists are Southern rockers, Ed King and Dickey Betts. Aside from a certain genre-defining monolith of a descending D major riff, my favorite Ed rip is his angry, harmonic laced solo from “Working for MCA.” Dickey won me over with “Jessica” and “Elizabeth Reed,” but his answering solo on the Filmore recording of “Whipping Post” was probably the closest thing to a smackdown Skydog ever received.

Two of my personal top ten guitarists are Southern rockers, Ed King and Dickey Betts. Aside from a certain genre-defining monolith of a descending D major riff, my favorite Ed rip is his angry, harmonic laced solo from “Working for MCA.” Dickey won me over with “Jessica” and “Elizabeth Reed,” but his answering solo on the Filmore recording of “Whipping Post” was probably the closest thing to a smackdown Skydog ever received.

Excellent! Totally agree.

I was going to wait on these next two, but since you mentioned Ed King... Everyone knows Gary Rossington's slide work from "Freebird", but Ed is an absolutely ripping slide player, too.

I see Trucks is on tour again with his wife (The Tedeschi Trucks Band). they've got an interesting sound, kind of like a Bonnie Raitt vibe to it.

Yep, saw them on their first tour and again in 2016. I totally loved Derek's playing in ABB, but I get bored with him when he doesn't have another high power lead player to balance him out. Susan can rip the blues, but the jam band solos don't seem to be her thing on guitar.

Yep, saw them on their first tour and again in 2016. I totally loved Derek's playing in ABB, but I get bored with him when he doesn't have another high power lead player to balance him out. Susan can rip the blues, but the jam band solos don't seem to be her thing on guitar.
I think it’s more that TTB is more of a song-based band concept musically compared to ABB, where the song was often just a happenstance ride the jam thumbed to get to the show. You can’t chase a four minute solo with a quick verse and almost fifteen minutes of an answer solo when your singer is the main act.

I've been a YUGE Satellites & Dan Baird fan since they came out. It's a crime how underrated they are, and only remembered for "Keep Your Hands To Yourself". Both Dan & Rick Richards underrated as players. Dan's new band, Homemade Sin, with Jason & The Scorchers' Warner Hodges on guitar ain't no slouch either. But the Satellites 3 albums and Dan's 1st solo record.... desert-island music for me.

I've got an awesome tele, still need a kick-ass LP Junior....

Three chords and a cloud of dust!

Also a huge Smoke fan since they came out, my band does "Six Ways To Sunday".... and another reason I need a LP Junior!!

Interesting trivia: Charlie Starr nows owns and plays Rick Richard's LP Junior from those days...

Back