The PRS Lexicon

]-[@n$0Ma☩!©

Zombie Zero, DFZ
In an effort to stop the propagation of BS terms associated with PRS instruments on the various auction sites and to to help explain terms that are commonly used in PRS circles, I offer this thread.

Please add as you see fit.

~Hans

COMMONLY MISUSED TERMS

Hand-Made - ALL PRS guitars are largely hand-made. In the days before CNC machines, PRS used duplicarvers to help create the initial shape of the parts. CNC machines do the same job with greater accuracy but they do not complete the process. People do. Check out some of the videos in the Blog section (click here).

Pre-factory - Does not mean guitars made in the Virgina Avenue factory (yes, factory). It means, guitars made prior to serial number 5_0001; which hit the streets mid-1985.

Mint - If there are any excuses concerning the guitar's condition (like pick swirl, faded stain, any finish repairs, any alterations, any restoration, etc.) then the guitar is not mint -- nor is it any other colloquial variation of the word (like "Minty"). If it isn't just like the day it left the factory in every possible way, it is NOT mint.

Rare - Please stop calling every PRS product listed on [insert favorite online sales site] "Rare." If it's Bonni (Not Bonnie) Pink, Metal pinstriped, Magenta Pearl, or Banana Yellow, it's rare. If it's a Sig LE or Rosewood Limited with a Trem, it's rare. If it has Icarus or a nekkid chick inlaid on the headstock, it's rare. But a Blue Matteo CU24 with moon inlays and HFS/VB pickups is NOT rare. Sure, it's a cool guitar, but let's keep it real.

TERMS THAT ARE JUST B.S.

Heel from Hell - A derogatory term coined by the now deceased Ed Roman to describe bigger neck heels on PRS guitars. These larger heels have nothing to do with an automated process, as suggested on Mr. Roman's website. This change was made to increase sustain and neck stability.

Pre-Lawsuit - PRS won the lawsuit. This terms doesn't mean anything. Using this term to describe your guitar only serves to make your advertisement the subject of guitar-geek ridicule when things get quiet on the net.

GENERAL MISCONCEPTIONS

Doctors & Lawyers - The number of Engineers who own PRS guitars far exceed all Doctors and Lawyers; combined.

Star In the Neck Pickup Cavity - The pentagram in the neck cavity (not to be confused with the asterisk-shaped star) is NOT Paul Smith's maker's mark. Is was placed there by Mr. Mike Deely; a cool-cat who started with PRS Guitars in 1985.

Sweet Switch Washers - Yes, they were occasionally seen on guitars leaving the factory. It's a fact. Just ask Markie. You can also see a washer on a guitar in the first catalog.

THE USUAL SUSPECTS

Butter - Have you ever actually tried to play butter? Nothing plays "like" butter. As far as I can tell, that's a good thing.

Justice
- Photos never "do [the guitar] any justice". For the Love of pie, it's a PRS -- this is a given. There is no need to say it. Again.

THE FUNNY ONES

Hippie Sandwich
- What PRSh calls guitars made from a whole bunch of different woods glued together. 11top hears him say this a lot. :D

GENERALLY ACCEPTED ACRONYMS & TERMS

3-Mike-7 - SE Custom 7-string.

1st Generation Stamped "T" - Around serial number X_1800, the B & high-E magnets in the stamped T pickup were replaced with slugs. These can be visually verified by most PRS enthusiasts.

BaM'er - A member of the deceased PRS fan site called Birds and Moons. BaM ran from early 2004 until March of 2012.

BRW - (AKA Brazzy, AKA Bazillion) Brazilian Rosewood.

CuRo
- Custom with an East Indian Rosewood neck.

DIBS
- A sincere request for first crack at your sweet-ass guitar if you ever sell it.

LE
- Limited Edition. 300 signed and numbered plus a few extra. Often called the "Sig LE" due to the signed headstock, this is the 1st ever limited run PRS model.

McBLE
- Brazilian Limited Edition McCarty. Not to be confused with the Brazilian Rosewood McCarty (McBrazzy).

McBrazzy - Brazilian Rosewood McCarty (250 signed & numbered plus a few others).

McCarty Switching
- 3-way toggle used to select pickups instead of the traditional 5-way rotary switch.

McKorina
- McCarty Korina.

McRosie - McCarty with an East Indian Rosewood neck.

McSoapy
- McCarty with p90 pickups (AKA Soapbars).

Metal Model - One of the most copied designs, Metal models were mahogany bodied (typically) PRS guitars with a varying pinstripe motif. All of the original Metals were painted by Mr. Bud Davis of Elizabethton, TN. There are many guitars painted in tribute to the Metal theme and to Mr. Davis.

Mil-Com (AKA MannMade) Trem - One-piece vibrato bridge that was phased out around 1993.

NGD - The happiest day ever. New Guitar Day.

PRSh - Paul Reed Smith, himself. Refers to the person, not the product or the company.

PRSi - Plural form of PRS; more than one PRS Instrument. This one drives some people nuts. PRS's means the same but it's proper.

Pre-Standard
- Properly called "The PRS Guitar", this term refers to solid mahogany guitars from 1985 and 1986 only. As of 1987, they were properly named "Standards."

Pie - A way for members to express that a thread has run it's course and has become too dramatic to be taken seriously. Just as you should never cry wolf, you should not invoke pie unless you are serious. Pie is not to be taken lightly. Posting the recipe of your favorite pie is the ultimate expression of disapproval.

RL
- Rosewood Limited. 100 made with Tree of Life inlay. 1st PRS model to feature solid rosewood necks. Not to be confused with the 2011 "Tree of Life" model.

Sig LE
- See LE

Siggy
- Signature Limited (with 408's) introduced at the 2012 Winter NAMM show in Anaheim.

Sig
- General term for any of the "Signature" models. Usually used when referring to the original Sig model that ran from 1986 through 1991.

Sinker - Au, contaire mon frère. Don't you even go there. Me without a mic is like a beat without a snare.

SS - Silver Sky, John Mayer Signature guitar. 20 March 2018

Stripper
- Stripped SC58.

Unicorn - A *truly* rare PRS.

Westy
- 1980 West Street Limited

Last edited:
ME - Modern Eagle.
Although the originals neither had nor needed a suffix, subsequent versions (i.e., II, III, Quatro = MEQ) have dictated that the original be designated MEI

VY - Vintage Yellow

ECOL#nnn - Collection Electric (with sequential #)

Last edited:
In an effort to stop the propagation of BS terms associated with PRS instruments on the various auction sites - and to help explain terms that are properly used, I offer this thread.

Please add as you see fit.

~Hans

COMMONLY MISUSED TERMS

Pre-factory
- Does not mean guitars made in the Virgina Avenue factory (yes, factory). It means, guitars made prior to serial number 5_0001; which hit the streets mid-1985.

Mint - If there are any excuses concerning the guitar's condition (like pick swirl, any finish repairs, any alterations, any restoration, etc.) then the guitar is not mint -- nor is it any other colloquial variation of the word (like "Minty").

TERMS THAT ARE JUST B.S.

Heel from Hell - A derogatory term coined by the now deceased Ed Roman to describe bigger neck heels on PRS guitars. These larger heels have nothing to do with an automated process, as suggested on Mr. Roman's website. This change was made to increase sustain and neck stability.

Pre-Lawsuit - PRS won the lawsuit. This terms doesn't mean anything. Using this term to describe your guitar only serves to make your advertisement the subject of guitar-geek ridicule when things get quiet on the net.

GENERAL MISCONCEPTIONS

Star In the Neck Pickup Cavity - The pentagram in the neck cavity (not to be confused with the asterisk-shaped star) is NOT Paul Smith's maker's mark. Is was placed there by Mr. Mike Deely - a cool-cat who started with PRS Guitars in 1985. Mike is now a PRS Rep in the North East.

Sweet Switch Washers - Yes, they were occasionally seen on guitars leaving the factory. It's a fact, let it go.

THE USUAL SUSPECTS

Butter - Have you ever actually tried to play butter? Nothing plays "like" butter. As far as I can tell, that's a good thing.

Justice
- Photos never "do [the guitar] any justice". For the Love of pie, it's a PRS -- this is a given. There is no need to say it. Again.

GENERALLY ACCEPTED ACRONYMS & TERMS

1st Generation Stamped "T" - around serial number X_1800, the B & E magnets in the stamped T pickup were replaced with slugs. These can be visually verified by most PRS enthusiasts.

BRW
- (AKA Brazzy, AKA Bazillion) Brazilian Rosewood.

CuRo
- Custom with an East Indian Rosewood neck.

LE
- Limited Edition. 300 signed and numbered plus a few extra. Often called the "Sig LE" due to the signed headstock, this is the 1st ever limited run PRS model.

McBLE
- Brazilian Limited Edition McCarty. Not to be confused with the Brazilian Rosewood McCarty (McBrazzy).

McBrazzy - Brazilian Rosewood McCarty (250 signed & numbered plus a few others).

McCarty Switching
- 3-way toggle used to select pickups instead of the traditional 5-way rotary switch.

McKorina
- McCarty Korina.

McRosie - McCarty with an East Indian Rosewood neck.

McSoapy
- McCarty with p90 pickups (AKA Soapbars).

Mil-Com (AKA MannMade) Trem - 1-piece tremelo phased out around 1993.

PRSh - Paul Reed Smith, himself. Refers to the person, not the product or the company.

PRSi - Plural form of PRS; more than one PRS Instrument.

Pre-Standard
- Properly called "The PRS Guitar", this term refers to solid mahogany guitars from 1985 and 1986 only. As of 1987, they were properly named "Standards."

Pie - A way for members to express that a thread has run it's course and has become too dramatic to be taken seriously. Just as we never cry wolf, we do not invoke pie unless you are serious. Pie is not to be taken lightly. Posting the recipe of your favorite pie is the ultimate expression of disapproval.

RL
- Rosewood Limited. 100 made with Tree of Life inlay. 1st PRS model to feature solid rosewood necks. Not to be confused with the 2011 "Tree of Life" model.

Sig LE
- See LE

Siggy
- Signature Limited (with 408's) introduced at the 2012 Winter NAMM show in Anaheim.

Sig
- General term for any of the "Signature" models. Usually used when referring to the original Sig model that ran from 1986 through 1991.

Sinker - Au, contaire mon frère. Don't you even go there. Me without a mic is like a beat without a snare.

Stripper - Stripped SC58.

Westy
- 1980 West Street Limited

I need a wet-nap after reading that post

I believe the "i" was added by our dear Jo as a cute way of indicating more than one PRS guitar. I don't believe it was ever meant to be grammatical in any way, shape or form....

It's been used for so long, now, though, it's become a standard colloquialism/slang for the online PRS community, that I dont believe will be going away any time soon!

I love, and will forever use, PRSi and PRSh.

"You don't wanna get mixed up with a guy like me. I'm a loaner, Dottie... a rebel."

hqdefault.jpg

Nice list Hans!

One note: I have a thing about "PRSi" because it's grammatically incorrect in both English and Latin (from which it was obviously incorrectly borrowed)!

There is a correct English plural for PRS and it's "PRSes."

"PRSi" was started back in the early PRS Forum days before TGP. I guess people thought the "i" was kind of a Latin plural for everything, like "cactus, cacti." But it's not. There were many Latin plurals depending on the declension of the noun used, such as -ae, -as, -arum. -is, -i, -a, -orum, -e, -ibus, -ium, -us, -es, -os, and I may have missed a couple of others. Some Latin plurals were borrowed from the Greeks (who once had great influence and colonies in Italy), and I suspect that some were left over from the Etruscans (who once ruled Rome), which is why there are so many.

The "i" plural is most often found on words ending in "-us". "PRS" does not end in "-us." It ends in "S" after a consonant. "-i" is clearly wrong. It is impossible to suggest a correct Latin plural for "PRS" since there is scant evidence that the Romans pluralized acronyms like "SPQR."

However there is a correct plural in English, and it is "-es." No doubt, the "-es" plural was derived from Latin, and I believe that if the Romans had used plurals for acronyms, the correct one for PRS would in fact be "-es." But it is certainly "-es" in English.

And don't give me this "i stands for instrument" nonsense. It's used to mean more than one PRS. No one, referring to a single PRS guitar, says, "I'm tuning this PRSi up today." It's strictly used for the plural. And it's pretentious and silly.

The plural "-es" is what should be used. This "PRSi" word is awful. Yes, I am one man standing alone in the wilderness, crying out for justice and cessation of the misuse of Latin plural endings!

PRS doods, get off yer phat arses and lurn Amurcin.

Thank you Captain Latin...

No one ever said it was grammatically correct. It was just a simpler fun way to imply "PRSes", which does not exactly "roll off the tongue"...

Now, back to the same silliness (and it is only silliness) that brought us PRSi...

The same silliness that brought us McBrazzy and McSoapy and Crackwood...

Jamie

Fine, I've deleted my posts, Captain I'm So Above It All. ;)

Jeeze Les, take your ball and go home much? Do you worry about explaining why you play a Gib$on? How 'bout a Fender? Then why worry about explaining why you play a PRS?

Sometimes a question is just a question, not an inside look into your inner soul...

And before you accuse me of being "above it all", re-read your initial post about the use of the term PRSi. If that wasn't being "above it all", then we have very different definitions...

Jamie

Jeeze Les, take your ball and go home much? Do you worry about explaining why you play a Gib$on? How 'bout a Fender? Then why worry about explaining why you play a PRS?

Sometimes a question is just a question, not an inside look into your inner soul...

And before you accuse me of being "above it all", re-read your initial post about the use of the term PRSi. If that wasn't being "above it all", then we have very different definitions...

Jamie

I figured you found the posts offensive, hence the Captain Latin reference. So I deleted them. I'd rather not argue about this stuff, and I know no one on earth cares about whether the Latin was correct. That's my way of poking a little fun, and it's a little pedantic exercise. So what. You'll notice I ended my original post with a joke.

Everyone claims they stopped caring what other people think back in middle school.

For me, guitars are work tools. Of course I care what the people who hire me think about them! Same with my son in LA who was just breaking into the business, and had producers giving him a hard time when he pulled his PRS out of its case before they heard it when he hadn't even played a note. I finally bought the guitar from him.

You, for example, might care what people who refer patients to you think of your medical equipment, if it affected your livelihood.

So your remark that you've progressed beyond caring what others think is yeah, kind of "above it all." That's merely what I think. But since you don't care what other people think, well, it shouldn't be a problem.

Last edited:
That didn't take long. This is for Les:

Chocolate Chess Pie

Ingredients
  • 1 (9 inch) pastry for a 9 inch single crust pie
  • 1 1/2 cups white sugar
  • 3 1/2 tablespoons cocoa
  • 1/2 cup butter, melted
  • 1 (5 ounce) can evaporated milk
  • 2 eggs, beaten
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
  • 3/4 cup chopped pecans

Directions
  1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees F (200 degrees C)
  2. Mix together sugar, cocoa, and melted butter. Stir in evaporated milk, beaten eggs, vanilla, and chopped pecans.
  3. Pour nut mixture into unbaked pie shell. Bake for 10 minutes. Reduce heat to 325 degrees F (165 degrees C) and bake for 30 minutes.

Chocolate Chess Pie

Ingredients
  • 1 1/2 cups white sugar
  • 1/2 cup butter, melted
  • 2 eggs, beaten
  • 3/4 cup chopped pecans

Directions
  2. Mix together sugar, cocoa, and melted butter. Stir in evaporated milk, beaten eggs, vanilla, and chopped pecans.
  3. Pour nut mixture into unbaked pie shell. Bake for 10 minutes. Reduce heat to 325 degrees F (165 degrees C) and bake for 30 minutes.

Add a little bourbon and you might have something there...

Chocolate Chess Pie

Ingredients
  • 1 1/2 cups white sugar
  • 1/2 cup butter, melted
  • 2 eggs, beaten
  • 3/4 cup chopped pecans

Directions

Sounds like I need some of that!

i know i shouldn't be asking this, but is crackwood and brazzy interdchangeable? oh, and it's great to hear from you folks again! -bluecrabdgt (aka greenburst)

Back