The ol' 4x12 vs 2x12 debate

What do you prefer

• Total voters
I knew. It only took one concert wherein I had my fingers in my ears the entire time to figure it out.

Using a car or minivan to do the job of a truck is silly.
A Ford F-150 drives like a car and lasts 10 times longer than a car or minivan.

It's easier for me to load gear into a minivan than a truck. It sits lower to the ground, less lifting. And with the seats folded down, there's at least as much, if not more, room.

But my production company did the music for the F-150 ad campaign with Dennis Leary for about the last 4-5 years. So I like F-150s... ;)

I used a 4x12 exclusively for the first 4 years of playing gigs 1997-2000. For the last 2 years we were playing 16 shows a month! The 4x12 didn't bother me at all.

Fast forward to 2013, I bought another head & 4x12 cab. The cab was a monster, 99 lbs. It took me about 10-12 shows to decide it was ridiculous. In addition to the weight, our drummer now has Roland V Drums, so we have lower stage volume. Also, the cabinet gave me more bass response, which weirdly made the mids sound hollow-ish, and the bass player turned way up making the mix muddy.

Sold it.

I used a 4x12 exclusively for the first 4 years of playing gigs 1997-2000. For the last 2 years we were playing 16 shows a month! The 4x12 didn't bother me at all.

Fast forward to 2013, I bought another head & 4x12 cab. The cab was a monster, 99 lbs. It took me about 10-12 shows to decide it was ridiculous. In addition to the weight, our drummer now has Roland V Drums, so we have lower stage volume. Also, the cabinet gave me more bass response, which weirdly made the mids sound hollow-ish, and the bass player turned way up making the mix muddy.

Sold it.

Another 2x12 convert. Welcome to the dark side. hahaha

maybe I should just get a OS wave vert 2x12 with vetern 30's compromise!
I wouldn't consider that a compromise. That's a really good cab and the Vet30s are excellent speakers. I have an ET65 and Vet30 in one of my Boogie 2x12s. Yummy.

I wouldn't consider that a compromise. That's a really good cab and the Vet30s are excellent speakers. I have an ET65 and Vet30 in one of my Boogie 2x12s. Yummy.
From what I've heard the porting on these cans moves more air than a closed back 2x12 while not losing the tightness.

As a point of reference, my old Boogie 2x12s originally came with a C90 on top and an EV12L in the bottom. The top has a removable back panel allowing you open or closed back options, and the bottom is closed back with porting in the front. Despite the porting, there is no lack of bass nor tightness. It can be a very brutal cab if pushed hard with the right amp. But it can also be warm and refined with a change of speakers. Very versatile design. And honestly, there's only so much air you need to move.

And honestly, there's only so much air you need to move.
wind.jpg

I've been using 2 2x12 DB BM V30 cabs for well over a year and have enjoyed the versatility of using 1 for practice and two for gigs. Sounds great, just like my my old V30 equipped 4x12. I don't miss that big ol' thing.

iieaYgDl.jpg

edited because the picture was ginormous

Don't tell anyone, but one of my speakers in my 2x12 combo doesn't work when I use the attenuator, and my new amp is.....GASP....

A 1x12!!!!!!!!! :eek:

It sounds ridiculously killer too!!!!:D

Killer is always good!

Honestly, I like the 212s mainly for the additional "swirl" from the speakers being ever so slightly phasey in a cab. Does anyone else notice that "swirl" thing happening?

It's one of my favorite things in all of guitardom. :)

I went back and forth on this issue for awhile. I finally settled on a full stack after being pretty sure I wanted a 2x12. I figured that I only use one cab, so I have four extra speakers. Most of the nice 2x12 cabs I was looking at used where as much $ as I bought the full stack for. I really wanted the pine vs the birch ply, but it came down to the economics for me. I could pull the speakers and get almost double of what I paid. I also like having my head at that height, and the other guitar player in my band has a 4x12 as well. I love the sonic wall of sound we get, and they look pretty nice as well. I do think 2x12 cabs have much more diversity. I read countless opinions on this, and, like everything else, it comes down to personal preference. It got even worse when I read up on speakers, but that is really what made the difference for me. I had been playing out of my bandmates 1960b cab for a long time, and just wanted my own. My tone really came alive after switching to a v30 cab, and we blend much better as well.

Don't tell anyone, but one of my speakers in my 2x12 combo doesn't work when I use the attenuator, and my new amp is.....GASP....

A 1x12!!!!!!!!! :eek:

It sounds ridiculously killer too!!!!:D
I bet that sounds interesting -- larger enclosure volume than any other 1x12 except maybe a big mouth.

I use to go the 4x12 route, but lugging around a cab loaded with four ev12L s can kill you back. As amazing as it was, almost impossible for me to get it out of the house, sold it. I now use two 2x12 and loving it! Big and thick Emperor cab loaded with ev12ls, really nothing like it.

F9xLAJt.jpg

Life is very easy if you combine a 4x12 cab with a 2x12 combo. In this particular case, 50 % of the combo´s loudspeaker model is 100 % of the cab´s speakers:

dscn1016-jpg.467422

The combo has got one Celestion G12 Vintage 30 and a Custom Design (exclusively for Line 6) G12H-90.

twViDZQc6U0_xE-r1RcNPTwS5jSpY0OiOXVfIaZzxElicANG4rJ1WzblPmUeGlWN99PTNn-jhdsZKKJdYkCP1h1582Z7Rh2yCEmQspA3VwKK2Di4fZhledu0vsXxnNi0eUOYTW4YNLoJCeYpriSawqvJjvivnccBUXVyWN9b0GcJbTg6e7YQUE6fc9QBDEdlQ13pljmQNQxxnDd0kmvjSAdGyc4UVJntR8ZE1YzYYfc087VGu9Mv0CbhjpuyCPzQ3ADEC2W3Oeo6CYUyGQej9HSvE8Gs7TIWZRHwyTdnNR3yWLJeGewU2ANb2Cl32s-ZeGScPiAYlVKww0F_Tt4ChcRhcQwsgMIwKfGzUNWE-4Y5thbNqJOjE-B7pcY5V1nt5njXVZ51DRs_Tu4GfaQV29uxggtWT52dvolF2Fsi73_35uRoCNPSxypJ16W-9MAz3R-Gn3gVGaCPXtiQKZCBWbCkLpa0UGqmIGYpc9i62TdeLKDmXNzhCP6q3sY-Plpmjw1ZilOMwwk_bfIpNX4hSnEOSt5zJB9H-h-X4NZMrrtz_XrSbvCVkOJceo5kdi7ym9txqg=w711-h947-no

If I require real punch, I give the combo the extension cab ;-)

My tone really came alive after switching to a v30 cab, and we blend much better as well.
That was the unexpected discovery for me, as well. Sure, if I wanted to have a modern, mid-scooped tone, it's the perfect accomplise ( I come from the Boogie camp of tone). And when I broke from Camp Boogie, I broke bad and went as far the other way was possible. It was time for vintage, not modern and I attributed part of the Boogie tone to the cabs and speakers, naturally. But once I tried the PRS cabs with PRS amps, despite the speakers, they weren't modern.

Personally, by myself, I prefer warmer speakers like the Greenback (especially in a 1960a/b) or even a WGS ET65, but for cuttin thru the mix, the V30 wins (the C90 takes 2nd place).

The V30 has grown to be a favorite for live applications and responds similarly in 1x12s as they do in 2x12. And considering how hard I drive my amp, few clubs will let me wind-up a 2x12 like I do a 1x12...much less a 4x12. And works in classic rock, country, and prog rock applications well. The V30 is amazingly versatile.

but for cuttin thru the mix, the V30 wins (the C90 takes 2nd place).

Having tried a lot of speakers over the years, I've found that I 100% agree.

Of course, mixing an amp in the context of a recording is very similar to a live mix; you want the frequency balance to be right, and you want some cut.

The V-30 tends to leave the bass some room in the mix, works well with most mics you'd use for a guitar amp, and has the cut. So does the C-90, albeit in a little bit darker way that works well with some amps. The Mesa-modded C-90s have always done a nice job for me, and I have them now in my Lone Star 100.

Though I do love a vintage Marshall 4x12 with old Greenbacks, and a Vox with a couple of Blues, and a Fender with some E/Vs and...uh...well, I guess I like most of the classic speakers of yore.

I haven't found "clone" speakers I really like, though, except the Scumbacks (the world's strangest brand name, but that's another matter entirely!).

Back