The ol' 4x12 vs 2x12 debate

What do you prefer

• Total voters
Was that YOU? Didn't recognize you at the time...

:D
Likely.

Bottom line is nothing sounds like a 4x12. Say what you want, but it's true. Could I play with a 2x12 instead? Sure. But if I'm gonna spend 5-8 hours at a gig- traveling tearing down & setting up...waiting for other bands and sitting there through the early hours of the morning to get paid, I'm playing through whatever it is that gets my rocks off. I'll quote someone on TGP..."life's too short for a B-rig".

Likely.

Bottom line is nothing sounds like a 4x12. Say what you want, but it's true. Could I play with a 2x12 instead? Sure. But if I'm gonna spend 5-8 hours at a gig- traveling tearing down & setting up...waiting for other bands and sitting there through the early hours of the morning to get paid, I'm playing through whatever it is that gets my rocks off. I'll quote someone on TGP..."life's too short for a B-rig".

What do you think of the 4x12 + 2x12 setup you mentioned earlier? I kinda like that idea though it's obviously WAY overkill for a basement lol.

What do you think of the 4x12 + 2x12 setup you mentioned earlier? I kinda like that idea though it's obviously WAY overkill for a basement lol.
I actually love it. I've run two 4x12 cabs for a long time. I've run a dual amp set up or at least a wet/dry rig since I've been the only guitar player. The point, really, was to create a wide sound for the PA system. With our style of music, you're pretty much always doubling rhythm guitars while recording, not to mention some overdubs. My goal was to try to keep the thick guitar tones and not lose or have it sound like something was missing live. That was always the purpose of my set-up. We actually added a guitar player recently, which is when I decided I didn't need dual 4x12's anymore. I still like the wet/dry sound so a 2x12 seemed like the right option.

If I was primarily playing in my basement(not lugging it all over), I'd build a wet/dry/wet setup fo sho! Stereo FX with the dry signal in the center?! It's like being stoned without ever smokin' up....especially with delays and modulation. Which is great for me cause I pass on grass. I caution this setup for those who may get the spins from drinking too much...you might puke on your guitar. :D

Likely.

Well said!

Nothing sounds like a good, old 1960a/b cab with Greenbacks. *nothing*

But, I decided to invest in multiple vert Boogie 2x12s years ago after seeing a local act in Hollywood. The guitarist sounded fantastic and was sonically destroying that building. He said it sounds great at a lower level, too, :D but the venue wanted it at ear-bleeding levels. After stopping by M/B's store in Hollywood the next day and looking at both 2x12s and 4x12s, I went home and ordered the first 2x12. That was 1990 and I still use them.

Fast forward to 2011. After years with the same cabs and amp, I decide to go a completely different sonic direction with PRS. My amp doesn't sound it's best without the pine 2x12. It is nothing like my other cabs and even my 1x12 version (which is what I gig) is slightly unique enough to never consider selling it. I like having options.

My next outdoor gig is next month and I will be bringing at least 1 of the Boogie cabs. My problem right now is that I have different impedance between them, so I have to get that corrected...which means speaker purchases. Regardless, I'm keeping all of my cabs, big and small, because they all do something unique.

The most enjoyable sound I ever got from a cabinet arrangement was this one time when I split a full stack (two Marshall "1960" 4x12 cabinets) and separated them, placing each on the floor as far apart from each other as the cables would allow. (I estimate about 12 feet apart from each other.) The sound coming at me from two different locations like that was incredible and much preferred over having the full stack standing up vertical. But that was a short lived luxury as it was rather impractical and now my 100w Archon sits on top of a vertical Mesa 2x12 because that cabinet has so much air in it that it (imho) gets as close to the sound of a 4x12 cabinet as you can get without actually having a 4x12 cabinet. So, in the OP above I voted for the more practical 2x12 cabinet as a preference.

I would LOVE to use a 4x12, especially after reading these responses. Unfortunately, my car isn't big enough and about 2/3 of the stages I play can't accommodate that much width. Having the more narrow vertical cab is really my only option.

Just realized I went off on a tangent in my last reply and didn't really explain why I like the 2x12+4x12 set up.
Mostly because it gets it gets one of my cabs at ear level and I hear myself better. The wet/dry aspect isn't as good stacked, but that's more the separation for the sound guy thru the PA. Cabinet orientation doesn't matter for him. I've stacked 4x12 cabs in tight spots before but didn't like that quite as much. It felt a little over the top as well.

I would LOVE to use a 4x12, especially after reading these responses. Unfortunately, my car isn't big enough and about 2/3 of the stages I play can't accommodate that much width. Having the more narrow vertical cab is really my only option.
Ya know what's funny? I've always bought a car based on being able to fit a 4x12 in it. :D If I can fit 2, even better! Always a bit of a challenge because I have a commute to work, so I want at least reasonable, good gas mileage with it.
I think the vert 2x12 is a great option for a situation like yours. Well, it's a great cab either way, no matter what the reasoning.

but the venue wanted it at ear-bleeding levels.
How many times does a guitar player hear that???? That's a wet dream right there! :D
I go in with my volumes set in the same spot all the time. If they need me to turn down, I do. There's only been a few times where I've been asked to turn up.

Ya know what's funny? I've always bought a car based on being able to fit a 4x12 in it. :D

Ever since I got into the music business, I've felt that a car needed to be able to fit an amp, a guitar, a mixer, and an 88 key keyboard at the very least!

This led to several SUVs and minivans over the years.

I know, minivans are for grandpas and moms. Wait, I am a grandpa...I qualify!

I always buy pickups for other reasons in life and have a cap and an enclosed trailer so ability to haul them is the very least of my concern. If it gets really thick I have 5 family members with a CDL, 2 semi tractors, a box truck, and a 24' enclosed gooseneck in the family...

Why am I worried about moving down where everyone else it with all that equipment around? lol... I might have to rent a freaking uhaul!

I'm a hatchback guy. I have been since the 90s, when I helped a synthpop guy to a gig, and my Honda Accord Hatchback (the old kind, with the sloping back) fit everything, and he sat comfortably in the passenger seat. Driving a 2nd generation Mazda3 now.

How many times does a guitar player hear that???? That's a wet dream right there! :D
Dude, in all seriousness, that guy was the single loudest club gig guitarist I've heard to date. And that was before my hearing was totally fried! (wait, maybe its HIS fault!) It was a cool stage layout in the round with a high ceiling over the stage but lower ceiling for the ground floor and a balcony above. We had to walk around from behind around stage left to our seats and it was painful, but beautiful at the same time, checking out his Boogie rig. A little MkIII head on top with the two 2x12s side by side. Keep in mind, this was direct cab wash before we ever got close to the FOH. He was having a blast! I was there as a guest of the band (the manager is a good friend) and I couldn't tell you the band name if I had to.

Last edited:
Dude, in all seriousness, that guy was the single loudest club gig guitarist I've heard to date. And that was before my hearing was totally fried! (wait, maybe its HIS fault!) It was a cool stage layout in the round with a high ceiling over the stage but lower ceiling for the ground floor and a balcony above. We had to walk around from behind around stage left to our seats and it was painful, but beautiful checking out his Boogie rig. A little MkIII head on top with the two 2x12s side by side. Keep in mind, this was direct cab wash before we ever got close to the FOH. He was having a blast! I was there as a guest of the band (the manager is a good friend) and I couldn't tell you the band name if I had to.

Always Bring Earplugs.

Because pain in ears often = damage.

Ever since I got into the music business, I've felt that a car needed to be able to fit an amp, a guitar, a mixer, and an 88 key keyboard at the very least!

This led to several SUVs and minivans over the years.

I know, minivans are for grandpas and moms. Wait, I am a grandpa...I qualify!
It's funny you bring up the minivan thing. In the 90's there were tons of musicians driving those Astro vans around here. They were great for hauling gear. All the 80's guys snapped those up used for a long time cause you could get em super cheap!
Dude, in all seriousness, that guy was the single loudest club gig guitarist I've heard to date. And that was before my hearing was totally fried! (wait, maybe its HIS fault!) It was a cool stage layout in the round with a high ceiling over the stage but lower ceiling for the ground floor and a balcony above. We had to walk around from behind around stage left to our seats and it was painful, but beautiful checking out his Boogie rig. A little MkIII head on top with the two 2x12s side by side. Keep in mind, this was direct cab wash before we ever got close to the FOH. He was having a blast! I was there as a guest of the band (the manager is a good friend) and I couldn't tell you the band name if I had to.
Ahhh, so that's how YOU became Boogie! Awesome story!

Using a car or minivan to do the job of a truck is silly.
A Ford F-150 drives like a car and lasts 10 times longer than a car or minivan.
They even come with heaters to keep you warm in the winter. hahaha
<insert random Internet photo here>
IMG_20140407_173229.jpg

Back